NeoLithic

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
hi guys. I'm soon purchasing a new motherboard and harddrive. I will be purchasing a raptor 10000rpm harddrive. I will be installing XP operating system on this hardrive. I will be transfering 2 200gb 7200rpm hard drives over to this new system that are currently set up in RAID 0.

My question is, how do i go about putting them in this new system. Do i just plug them straight in and they are detected as raid and all the files on both will be recognised or do I have to set them up as RAID 0.

I'd really appreciate some advice on this issue. I've done some research on google but I cannot find a guide detailing my situation.

Cheers everyone.

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004
hi guys. I'm soon purchasing a new motherboard and harddrive. I will be purchasing a raptor 10000rpm harddrive. I will be installing XP operating system on this hardrive. I will be transfering 2 200gb 7200rpm hard drives over to this new system that are currently set up in RAID 0.

My question is, how do i go about putting them in this new system. Do i just plug them straight in and they are detected as raid and all the files on both will be recognised or do I have to set them up as RAID 0.

I'd really appreciate some advice on this issue. I've done some research on google but I cannot find a guide detailing my situation.

Cheers everyone.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DISCONNECT YOUR RAID 0 SET FROM YOUR OLD PC. YOU WILL KILL ALL YOUR DATA TRYING TO SET IT UP ON THE NEW MOTHERBOARD!!!!!

There are only a few ways I can think of doing this.

One, install your new motherboard and hard drive, then transfer the data over a network share.

Two, install your new motherboard and hard drive, then try hooking it up to your old computer and copying the data over.

Three, get another hard drive, copy everything to it, then install that as a secondary in your new system.

Four, try formatting the new drive and installing it your old system, copy the data, then put the new drive in your new system and try installing the os onto that with wiping the partition.

That being said, DON'T RUN RAID 0 EVER unless you have a distinct need to do so (video editing is the only thing that comes to mind right now).

Oh, you could also install the new drive in your old system, copy the data to it, then reuse one of your old drives as the main boot disk, maybe run RAID 1 instead of 0 so you have a mirror of your drive....

Centurion
(see Anandtech for a raid 0 performance overview)