Leno hdtv in then out after commercials

I have noticed that sometimes when Jay Leno (in hdtv) leaves for
commercial break then comes back that entire segment is not in hd (16x9
1080i) it stays in non hd mode. Then after the next break it comes back
like normal.... Anyone else have this happen ?

I use a Motorola hdt-100 and an Eye500 receiver and they both have had
this happen so it cant be the receiver... Also it happens only on NBC as
far as I can tell, The 2 nbc stations will do do this but not
necessarily at the same time, which makes me think the stations
equipment didnt comeback at full hd when they show returns to air...

I live in South Florida the 2 stations are (wpec and wtvj) , signal
strength looks fine, but it cant be signal because it only does this
during the return of a commercial break...and it only seems to be nbc
and leno but I have seen Law & order do this too....

Anyone else see this kinda thing ?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about leno hdtv commercials

    Contact the respective stations and ask to talk to the system engineers, see
    if others are experiencing the same symptoms. They may be your best
    assistance at this time. Esp if it does not happen on the other HD stations,
    that is, other than NBC?? Highly doubt that it is network related, probably
    local situation only. Check the functions of your system on other HD
    stations and confirm that it is isolated to the NBC stations only, then go
    from there. Good Luck.
    "JH" <jh@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > I have noticed that sometimes when Jay Leno (in hdtv) leaves for
    > commercial break then comes back that entire segment is not in hd (16x9
    > 1080i) it stays in non hd mode. Then after the next break it comes back
    > like normal.... Anyone else have this happen ?
    >
    > I use a Motorola hdt-100 and an Eye500 receiver and they both have had
    > this happen so it cant be the receiver... Also it happens only on NBC as
    > far as I can tell, The 2 nbc stations will do do this but not
    > necessarily at the same time, which makes me think the stations
    > equipment didnt comeback at full hd when they show returns to air...
    >
    > I live in South Florida the 2 stations are (wpec and wtvj) , signal
    > strength looks fine, but it cant be signal because it only does this
    > during the return of a commercial break...and it only seems to be nbc
    > and leno but I have seen Law & order do this too....
    >
    > Anyone else see this kinda thing ?
    >

    > Thanks

    "JH" <jh@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > I have noticed that sometimes when Jay Leno (in hdtv) leaves for
    > commercial break then comes back that entire segment is not in hd (16x9
    > 1080i) it stays in non hd mode. Then after the next break it comes back
    > like normal.... Anyone else have this happen ?
    >
    > I use a Motorola hdt-100 and an Eye500 receiver and they both have had
    > this happen so it cant be the receiver... Also it happens only on NBC as
    > far as I can tell, The 2 nbc stations will do do this but not
    > necessarily at the same time, which makes me think the stations
    > equipment didnt comeback at full hd when they show returns to air...
    >
    > I live in South Florida the 2 stations are (wpec and wtvj) , signal
    > strength looks fine, but it cant be signal because it only does this
    > during the return of a commercial break...and it only seems to be nbc
    > and leno but I have seen Law & order do this too....
    >
    > Anyone else see this kinda thing ?
    >

    > Thanks

    The CBS station in Albuquerque does the same thing. The engineer(s) forget
    to make the switch back to HD when coming out of commercial. Aggravating!

    Bearman

    The same problem happens on the CBS affiliate here in El Paso. Calls
    and E-mails do not seem to have any effect. It is definitly a local
    station problem whether they manually switch between SD and HD or it
    is an automated system that is flawed. I am afraid we will not be rid
    of this type of problem untill the majority of viewers are watching
    the digital station or the analog station goes off completly.

    JH <jh@nospam.net> wrote (in part):

    >I have noticed that sometimes when Jay Leno (in hdtv) leaves for
    >commercial break then comes back that entire segment is not in hd (16x9
    >1080i) it stays in non hd mode. Then after the next break it comes back
    >like normal.... Anyone else have this happen ?

    Yes, but not much on the local NBC station. The ABC station is much
    worse here. They often show a full segment of an HD show in SD. Most
    stations that broadcast HD can't really manipulate the signal
    in-house. They can bump up their NTSC signal to HD scan rates (but
    not HD resolution) and they may have a box to overlay their station ID
    bug onto an HD signal, but that's about it. When they do other
    effects over a network picture, they need to use the NTSC feed (or SD
    converted to NTSC).

    When I worked at a commercial TV station many years ago, it was
    standard practice to do all live breaks (usually including a news
    promo from the studio, or the break before news) by handing off
    control to Production, which already had the network feed up through
    the Production Control switcher. If they're still doing it that way,
    the HD picture would switch to bumped-up SD at that time. A simple
    overlay could be handled by the Master Control switcher, but it's
    still NTSC. I've seen a station switch to SD to promote the fact that
    they now broadcast in HD. And then not go back to HD for the whole
    segment.

    One night Leno kept going back and forth between HD and SD, but with
    good reason. We had heavy rain at the time, which must have been
    playing havoc with the station's satellite reception, and they were
    punching up whichever feed was best at the moment.

    Our PBS station is the crudest. They have a big station ID in the
    lower right, and of course the giant PBS-HD bug in the upper left.
    Really annoying. When they do a station ID between shows, they
    actually switch to 480i. So my receiver goes black for a couple
    seconds while it relocks, and another couple seconds going back to
    network.

    OTOH, the CBS station gets the switching as nearly right as is
    possible, given that they too can't really do HD in-house. I've never
    seen an HD feed knocked down to SD for more than maybe two seconds
    coming out of a break, and usually it's right on the money. I've
    heard that one of their engineers devised a smart switch: if they're
    airing network and network is available in HD, it takes that. Seems
    to work.

    E. Ogden <eoyymm@nycap.rr.com>
    where yymm is the current year and month

    bearman wrote:
    > The CBS station in Albuquerque does the same thing. The engineer(s) forget
    > to make the switch back to HD when coming out of commercial. Aggravating!

    I've seen it done by every station here in the L.A. area. Truly
    aggravating as you said! There's gotta be a better way than simply
    having to make a manual switch by an engineer (who can very easily miss
    the cue as we have seen).

HDTV HD Home Theatre