POSSIBLY unlocked e6300 multiplier, possible overreaction

ReverendGadgetBoy

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
OK im trying not to over react here, but I was having some glitches with linux and hard drives, so i updated my bios. this resulted in my cmos totally glitching the hell up and me losing my overclock. it also glitched my bios to where it wouldnt let me change vcore, even with c1e and eist disabled.

however, i was going through my cpu settings when i noticed that it said multiplier was unlocked. now, it always says that, but it usually says max is 7 and min is 6, now it said max of 20, min of 6. also, if you used to input 8 as the multiplier then move your cursor, it went back to 7. now, it stayed where you put it.

however it wouldnt boot anything the way i had it, cause the cmos was all f-ed up. in trying to fix the cmos, i lost my awesome multiplier stuff, and i cant recreate it for the life of me.

anyhoo, did i do the impossible? however temporarily? i couldnt get it to stay between boots cause of the cmos, so i couldnt compare the fsb and clock to ackshally test the multi, but it definitely said 20.

pics:
"unlocked":

i know my watermark sux bad, but its paint what can i say.

anyone have input

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
It could be an engineering sample the CPU you have got, or it could be indeed that there is a way to unlock the multipliers on the Intel CPUs, but none yet knows how to do it. I remember i owned a Tandy 1000RL back 17 years ago and it had 512KB of RAM. The manual said that if you wanted 640KB you needed to purchase two chips and install them in the appropriate sockets on the motherboard. Indeed those sockets were empty. One day i decided to play with the only ISA slot in it and started sticking some electronic boards from portable games that i had taken apart. Its the equivalent of sticking milk in your car instead of gasoline and starting the car up to see what happens. In most positions the computer would not boot up, or it did nothing at all, it booted normally. But in one occasion the PC booted up reporting 640KB or RAM!
I thought it was just a fault report, so i decided to try a game that wouldn't run on my computer before. I loaded The Simpsons and guess what, it ran flawlessly! Damnit that means that the extra RAM that Tandy asked you to buy was already there and what these two chips did was probably just a way to access it! Ever since that incident, i believe you can see a lot of crazy stuff going in the computer world!

PS: Unfortunately i kept trying different positions on the ISA slot wich resulted on permanently losing the extra RAM and finally burning the Floppy Controller on the board and since then i never used my machine again... LOL!

ReverendGadgetBoy

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Hmmm. I dont think i have an engineering sample, cause its definitely not one of the older e6300s. Im guessing its one of those crazy coincidences, like your situation.

if anyone is interested in reproducing what happened with me, ill lay out what i did.

first i updated my bios to 1901 using AsusUpdate, but unchecked the box saying overwrite the CMOS.

then i rebooted, and loaded my OC settings from the OC profile thing. i did save changes and exit.

when it rebooted, it said something about cmos settings being wrong. i chose to load default settings and continue, but shut down INSTANTLY after choosing that.

i rebooted, then went to cpu settings and noticed that it was unlocked.

if anyone tries this, a report would be great. i might try again.