MBSA: MS02-032 - File version greater than expected

I've recently updated to the latest version of the scanner, and I'm still
getting messages similar to this one:

MS02-032 Cumulative Patch for Windows Media Player (Q320920) File version
is greater than expected.
[\\SANDWICH.mill.pearson.co.uk\C$\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx, 6.4.9.1128 >
6.4.9.1124]

How am I supposed to correct this - and should it really be picking up on
this sort of thing, when my version is more up to date than the one it is
looking for?

I'm running Win 2k, and MBSA version 1.2.1 downloaded 23/09/04 (can't find
a version number). If you need any more details, let me know. Any sort of
help, or ideas, would be greatly appreciated!

You might get an answer here, but there is a newsgroup specifically for MBSA.

I'm not sure how much I would worry about this. I get this message from
time to time and ignore it.

I would guess that either the mssecure.xml file [or the compressed .CAB file
that contains it] has a mistake in it for that file, or for some reason you
are getting an old copy of it [possibly your proxy server or browser has a
cached copy of it?]. You can download and unzip that file manually from the
link below and either inspect it using Notepad or re-run MBSA to point to the
file you downloaded and see if the results are any different.

and then run the following command:

mbsacli.exe -hf -v -x c:\MSSecure_1234.CAB

"Paul G." wrote:

> I've recently updated to the latest version of the scanner, and I'm still
> getting messages similar to this one:
>
> MS02-032 Cumulative Patch for Windows Media Player (Q320920) File version
> is greater than expected.
> [\\SANDWICH.mill.pearson.co.uk\C$\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx, 6.4.9.1128 >
> 6.4.9.1124]
>
> How am I supposed to correct this - and should it really be picking up on
> this sort of thing, when my version is more up to date than the one it is
> looking for?
>
> I'm running Win 2k, and MBSA version 1.2.1 downloaded 23/09/04 (can't find
> a version number). If you need any more details, let me know. Any sort of
> help, or ideas, would be greatly appreciated!

Did you install a Windows Media Update like KB828026 because this include
the msdxm.ocx ver 6.4.9.1128 ?

This is not a problem, that version is ok but they (Microsoft) don't update
all entries of the MBSA DataBase and they forgot the KB828026.

VERSION of current DATABASE:

open folder of MBSA
search file mssecure_1031.xml (GERMAN) or mssecure.xml (ENG/US) ... and open
it with I.E.
Version: DataVersion="2004.9.14.0" or DataVersion="2004.9.23.0" aso

---
Ausgehende Mail ist zertifiziert virenfrei.
Überprüft durch AVG Antivirus System (http://www.grisoft.com/de).
Version: 6.0.769 / Virendatenbank: 516 - Erstellungsdatum: 24.09.2004

Many thanks to you both for your quick, and useful replies - you've explained
what's going on, and I'm less concerned than before!

Karl, I'm not actually using browsers to run mbsacli, so there's no caching
problem - however, thanks for the tip on using a user specified cab file.
It'll come in use later on..! (And also, my apologies for posting here - I
became utterly lost in the Microsoft website, trawling through subcategories
of subcategories - I wrongly assumed in the end, there wasn't an MBSA forum..)

Robert, thanks for letting me know about updates being missed out. Strangely
though, every time I run it, I get the 2004.9.14 version.. not a huge
problem, but something I'll look out for.

Cheers,
Paul