Sign in with
Your question

Should I disable these 2 cpu bios settings for overclocking?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 14, 2007 12:30:43 AM

I just did my first overclock successfully but in my cpu settings in the bios there are 2 settings i'm not sure if I should leave enabled or if I should disable them? They are:

Vanderpool Technology: Enable/Disable
Execute Disable Bit: Enable/Disable

Like I said both are currently enabled.

I'm having a major issue right now when I go to start my computer after leaving it shut off for a while it will go to power up and just sit there no post beep at all, just sits there powering up my computer. However when I shut off my power supply for a few seconds and turn it back on and start my computer it will power up just fine. Anyone have any clue what could be causing this? It's almost like something isn't initially getting power from the power supply but when I shutoff/turn on the PS gives something on my mobo the necessary power. Any ideas?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775
ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 Express
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro (cpu fan)
Kingston Hyperion PC2 6400 2x1gb (2gb) 800mhz timing: 4-4-4-12 cas: 12
COOLMAX CW-650T EPS12V 650W Aluminum ATX v2.01
Sapphire ATI x1900xt 512mb video card
February 14, 2007 1:03:35 AM

>should leave enabled or if I should disable them?

I don't think it matters either way. Personally, I overclock E6600 from 2.4 to 3.2 GHz, I turn Vanderpool off because I rarely need to use the Vetzfeebler, and I leave the Execute Bit checking on to protect against viruses and Windows bugs.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2007 1:33:59 AM

What do you mean you did your first OC successfully? Your pc didnt start properly, thats not successful. It probably reset the settings to default (assuming that mobo does that, I dont know) so thats why you could boot after shutting off the power.
Related resources
February 14, 2007 2:06:59 PM

hmm, well before I even attempted a overclock and built the computer initially I had a bad stick of ram and with both sticks in it would do the same exact thing, power up but not boot. I replaced the ram which did start up fine and then after my overclock (and ALMOST) everytime I start up my computer it won't start up after being shut off for a while. Any one know why?
February 14, 2007 6:32:59 PM

I wonder if your RAM is truly defective, or if it just needs more voltage than the 1.8V specified by DDR2. Most high-quality RAM demands more voltage than the DDR2 spec nowadays, e.g. mine is 1.9-2.1. To boot up, either the RAM chip has to specify relaxed timings in its SPD, or the BIOS needs to override the SPD with its own settings. For example, my OCZ RAM chips are rated as 4-4-4-15 (and I even get them down to 4-4-4-12 with only 2.0V) but the SPD actually says to use 5-5-5-15. This is to help boot up at 1.8V I think.

I would try using the latest BIOS from ASUS. On their website, they have the AFUDOS tool for flashing the BIOS. That might help.

Sometimes another option is to boot up with some crappy RAM chip, then change settings, shutdown, and insert your real RAM.
February 14, 2007 6:36:28 PM

I have updated to the latest bios before I started ovrclocking. Today though I messed with some of my bios settings left the memory voltage at 2.0v and tested it multiple times on a complete shut down and restart and I must have tweaked something right because it boots up normally again and is overclocked at 3.2ghz under full load both cpus never get above 54 degrees C at 1.288v and 1.322v idel. So I think i'm good now.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2007 2:02:55 AM

In some ways its bad that you just "tweaked something right" coz if the problem returns after you reset CMOS, you wont be able to fix it as easily as if you knew what to do. Maybe a bit of experimentation to find the problem, but for the moment have fun OCing.
February 15, 2007 3:03:24 AM

Well I think what did it for some reason is I raised the cpu voltage a tad and set the ICH, SB and NB chipset to AUTO instead of a specific preset which wasn't working obviously.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2007 9:34:20 PM

Raising the vcore would have helped maintain stability.
!