Ruby/Sapphire one-shot deals?

Last response: in Video Games
April 9, 2004 7:24:07 PM

Well, I've finished Colosseum. (At least as much as I plan to. I
might work on getting the 'champ' stickers in the battle modes, but I
went in wanting to 'catch 'em all', and I succeeded in that. Without
being able to breed, all that's left is levelling.) Now I'm
considering picking up Ruby or Sapphire. (Given the choice, I think
I'd get Sapphire, but that's just because I like blue better than red
and water pokemon more than fire pokemon.) I have a question,
though, and though I could get the answer from a FAQ, I'd probably
wind up spoiling myself more than I want to. That's why I'm asking
here.

What opportunities will I only be given once, or a limited number of
times, in the game? I know, for instance, that you only get one shot
at getting certain pokemon, but not which ones. Are there any other
situations where I can screw things up permanently, or where I have
to make a choice between certain pokemon? (The starters, of course,
but is there anything like the fossils in R/B or how I evolve an
Eevee?)

Thanks in advance for your useful answers!
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 1:52:26 AM

In no particular order, this is what I can think of:

1. Choosing one of three starters
2. Choosing one of two fossils in the desert
3. Capturing either Kyogre (Sapphire) or Groudon (Ruby)
4. Capturing Latias (Sapphire) or Latios (Ruby)
5. Getting certain berries (although you can plant them and grow more)

Fred M. Sloniker wrote:

> Well, I've finished Colosseum. (At least as much as I plan to. I
> might work on getting the 'champ' stickers in the battle modes, but I
> went in wanting to 'catch 'em all', and I succeeded in that. Without
> being able to breed, all that's left is levelling.) Now I'm
> considering picking up Ruby or Sapphire. (Given the choice, I think
> I'd get Sapphire, but that's just because I like blue better than red
> and water pokemon more than fire pokemon.) I have a question,
> though, and though I could get the answer from a FAQ, I'd probably
> wind up spoiling myself more than I want to. That's why I'm asking
> here.
>
> What opportunities will I only be given once, or a limited number of
> times, in the game? I know, for instance, that you only get one shot
> at getting certain pokemon, but not which ones. Are there any other
> situations where I can screw things up permanently, or where I have
> to make a choice between certain pokemon? (The starters, of course,
> but is there anything like the fossils in R/B or how I evolve an
> Eevee?)
>
> Thanks in advance for your useful answers!

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 1:53:21 AM

P.S. I know what you mean about spoilers, so if you have any other
questions, feel free to email me. I have Sapphire too.

John Salerno wrote:

> In no particular order, this is what I can think of:
>
> 1. Choosing one of three starters
> 2. Choosing one of two fossils in the desert
> 3. Capturing either Kyogre (Sapphire) or Groudon (Ruby)
> 4. Capturing Latias (Sapphire) or Latios (Ruby)
> 5. Getting certain berries (although you can plant them and grow more)
>

> Fred M. Sloniker wrote:
>
>> Well, I've finished Colosseum. (At least as much as I plan to. I
>> might work on getting the 'champ' stickers in the battle modes, but I
>> went in wanting to 'catch 'em all', and I succeeded in that. Without
>> being able to breed, all that's left is levelling.) Now I'm
>> considering picking up Ruby or Sapphire. (Given the choice, I think
>> I'd get Sapphire, but that's just because I like blue better than red
>> and water pokemon more than fire pokemon.) I have a question,
>> though, and though I could get the answer from a FAQ, I'd probably
>> wind up spoiling myself more than I want to. That's why I'm asking
>> here.
>>
>> What opportunities will I only be given once, or a limited number of
>> times, in the game? I know, for instance, that you only get one shot
>> at getting certain pokemon, but not which ones. Are there any other
>> situations where I can screw things up permanently, or where I have
>> to make a choice between certain pokemon? (The starters, of course,
>> but is there anything like the fossils in R/B or how I evolve an
>> Eevee?)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your useful answers!

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 1:54:32 AM

Another minor one:

Choosing either the Deepseatooth or Deepseascale, but that's much later
in the game and either one is helpful for evolving a certain pokemon
through a trade.

John Salerno wrote:

> In no particular order, this is what I can think of:
>
> 1. Choosing one of three starters
> 2. Choosing one of two fossils in the desert
> 3. Capturing either Kyogre (Sapphire) or Groudon (Ruby)
> 4. Capturing Latias (Sapphire) or Latios (Ruby)
> 5. Getting certain berries (although you can plant them and grow more)
>

> Fred M. Sloniker wrote:
>
>> Well, I've finished Colosseum. (At least as much as I plan to. I
>> might work on getting the 'champ' stickers in the battle modes, but I
>> went in wanting to 'catch 'em all', and I succeeded in that. Without
>> being able to breed, all that's left is levelling.) Now I'm
>> considering picking up Ruby or Sapphire. (Given the choice, I think
>> I'd get Sapphire, but that's just because I like blue better than red
>> and water pokemon more than fire pokemon.) I have a question,
>> though, and though I could get the answer from a FAQ, I'd probably
>> wind up spoiling myself more than I want to. That's why I'm asking
>> here.
>>
>> What opportunities will I only be given once, or a limited number of
>> times, in the game? I know, for instance, that you only get one shot
>> at getting certain pokemon, but not which ones. Are there any other
>> situations where I can screw things up permanently, or where I have
>> to make a choice between certain pokemon? (The starters, of course,
>> but is there anything like the fossils in R/B or how I evolve an
>> Eevee?)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your useful answers!

Anonymous
April 11, 2004 2:37:55 AM

Pahsons - Foot wrote:

> Think before you hit send

Think.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 4:01:14 AM

In article <4077535d$0$1647$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>,
John Salerno <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>In no particular order, this is what I can think of:
>
>3. Capturing either Kyogre (Sapphire) or Groudon (Ruby)
>4. Capturing Latias (Sapphire) or Latios (Ruby)

I assume these are things you have one chance at, and if you
faint the Pokemon they're gone? Add Rayquaza and the Regis
to that list.

>5. Getting certain berries (although you can plant them and grow more)

That's not a skill thing you get one chance at. Just grab every berry
you see.

david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.
April 12, 2004 4:01:15 AM

David Thornley wrote:

> In article <4077535d$0$1647$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>,
> John Salerno <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>In no particular order, this is what I can think of:
>>
>>3. Capturing either Kyogre (Sapphire) or Groudon (Ruby)
>>4. Capturing Latias (Sapphire) or Latios (Ruby)
>

> I assume these are things you have one chance at, and if you
> faint the Pokemon they're gone? Add Rayquaza and the Regis
> to that list.

True, those are four big ones.

>>5. Getting certain berries (although you can plant them and grow more)
>>

> That's not a skill thing you get one chance at. Just grab every berry
> you see.

Well, there are some you can only get once, so I thought I'd mention to
be sure to plant them and not use them right away.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 5:39:45 PM

"Fred M. Sloniker" <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote in message

> What opportunities will I only be given once, or a limited number of
> times, in the game? I know, for instance, that you only get one shot
> at getting certain pokemon, but not which ones. Are there any other
> situations where I can screw things up permanently, or where I have
> to make a choice between certain pokemon? (The starters, of course,
> but is there anything like the fossils in R/B or how I evolve an
> Eevee?)
>
> Thanks in advance for your useful answers!

One time only pokes : the Regi's (level 40), but you must unlock them,
Rayquaza (level 70 I think), and they don't go anywhere unless you faint
them.

You have already choosen Kygre/Groudon (only one! level 40) and whichever L
bird (also only one (level 40)! and it runs!! many people save the Master
ball (don't leave the Team Hideout without it, or else you must win the
Lotto to get another) but it can be caught without it with difficulty) by
buying Sapphire or Ruby. But the L birds and Ray and the Regi's (even if
they are male or female) don't breed. If you can get an Eon card, you can
go to Southern Island and get the other L bird.

Choose one of 3 starters, and try for a female (over 85% male, under 15 %
female, save before you go to the bag) so you can breed them (maybe you can
find someone to trade with?), one of the fossils (also try for female, same
ratio, save after you give the fossil to the Scientist) so you can breed
them.

Some people find that Skitty and Surskit are difficult to find, and they
won't swarm until after you beat the E4. Wurmple's evolutions are split so
that one is in Sapphire more than the other and vise versa Ruby, so are
Minim and Plusle, and Volbeat and Illumise, Relicanth is supposed to be rare
too, but you can get them if you are patient. Feebas is on 6 river tiles
(out of 400 I have read) and is a royal pain to find, surf one end to the
other, fishing 5 times on each tile, after you have given a phrase in
Dewford. Get at least two females.

Sapphire only pokes: Seviper, Lunatone, Kyogre, Lotad, Lombre, Ludocolo,
Sableye, Latias
Ruby only pokes: Zangoose, SolRock, Groudon, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry,
Mawile, Latios

There is an item that you trade in for one of two other items. Attach the
new item and trade the Clamperl (very common) and it evolves into one of two
pokes. And did I mention the Master Ball? Don't leave the Team Hideout
without it and it's easy to do that.

The evolution stones are rare, but at least in Sapphire you can get more
Moonstones (Covet or Thief a Lunatone). You need two Moonstones (at least)
to complete the 'dex and I think I only found one. In Ruby you can get more
Sunstones (Covet or Thief a Solrock).

You can find Shards of different colours to trade for Evolution Stones; some
fish have Shards (the shards are rarely on them though, Covet or Thief or
catch them). I think you need to get a Dragon Scale (from Horsea and Bagon)
to attach and trade for a Kingdra.

HeartScales are on Luvdisc (and hidden around), trade them to the Move Tutor
to learn moves a poke has forgotten.

Then there are Berries. There is a girl at the bottom of route 120 who
gives out 1 berry (the same berry) a day. It is one of 3 I think, and
depends on something at the begining, like Trainer number. There are
phrases that you tell the Berry Master's (he gives randomly two berries)
Wife and she will give out one very rare berry for each special phrase (I
think there are 4 or 5). There is a girl in Sootopolis who gives two
berries and various others.

Plant berries, but rare ones need lots of water (say 30 times over the
growing), take at least 2 or 3 days and only give 2 berries. You need
berries to make Pokeblocks, and you need Pokeblocks as bait in Safari. And
for Contests.

I hope this helps, it's sort of off the top of my head.
daramark
!