Folder Security

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

How do I Set up a Hard Drive so that when a networked
user is logged on and creates a folder, no other users
can open the folder except for the network administrator?

Create a folder for the user and have only that user and administrators permissions
to the folder. You can configure permissions at the share level and folder level via
ntfs permissions. Share permissions only apply to network users while ntfs
permissions apply to all users - network or local logon. When both are configured the
most restrictive of the two permissions apply. For instance if you create a share and
give users change permission and the share contains a folder for user John and the
folder has ntfs permission for full control for John and administrators, only John
and administrators can access that folder. Ntfs permisions are applied in the folder
properties/security page. The links below explains in more detail. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=301195
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301281

"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I Set up a Hard Drive so that when a networked
> user is logged on and creates a folder, no other users
> can open the folder except for the network administrator?

TRENDING THREADS