Sign in with
Your question

TUNER CARDS AND VISTA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2007 1:31:06 AM

I would have thought someone would have asked this by now, but I looked back over a few pages and didnt see it.

Anyone know for sure if Vista has the drivers for any of the more common TV tuner cards?

More about : tuner cards vista

February 14, 2007 1:55:33 AM

I haven't run Vista, but I would assume so, since they have folded many of MCE's functions into it. Best place to find those drivers would be on the card's website, anyway. You should always run the updated software. You could logon to your fav, and check.
February 15, 2007 12:51:33 AM

MadMurph is probably right on the general issue.

If the TV tuner card can work in Windows Media Center Edition 2005, then it should work in any version of Vista with MCE.
Related resources
February 15, 2007 1:37:32 AM

Yes and No.

Some cards have capture drivers available that can be used with other manufacturers products. I don't know about PVR functions. That being said, I have not found any that say they work with Vista yet.

On the other hand, the All in Wonder cards are display driver ONLY. No TV Tuner, No PVR, etc. I can attest to this, as mine doesn't work on my Vista install.

This appears to be due to difficulties in Vista (DRM?), and not problems from the manufacturers.
February 15, 2007 4:30:04 PM

Yeah, they are Vista certified, but it looks like there's more to it. Obviously, without actually owning and trying the card, I can't say for sure, but it looks like they don't all completely work in Vista.

The hauppauge one looks like it will tune in Vista, but when you look at the support page, there is no Vista version ofe the PVR software...

The Fusion is 64-bit capable, and claims it will work with Vista, but I was only able to find and XP64 driver for it, no Vista driver. Given Vista's new driver model, I doubt the XP64 version will work in Vista. Maybe the driver has not been released yet?

The Aver one has a Vista driver, but I could not find any more information about the Tuner/PVR software it uses, so I can't say one way or the other.

I am not trying to bash Vista here, I am just wondering what is making it apparently so difficult to implement full functionality in a TV Tuner/PVR. I will say that until a decent multimedia center is released for my x1900 AIW card, I will not be using Vista as my main OS.
February 15, 2007 4:55:09 PM

my ati tv wonder tuner isnt recognized in vista, but i havent really put any effort into seeing whether it could work.
February 15, 2007 5:27:21 PM

Quote:
my ati tv wonder tuner isnt recognized in vista, but i havent really put any effort into seeing whether it could work.

Try using the Windows XP WDM drivers for the TV Wonder. I have a year 2000 vintage TV Wonder PCI and its XP drivers work with Vista. I use Nero Vision as a PVR of sorts and that combination seems to work OK.
February 15, 2007 5:32:06 PM

I use the ATI 650 with Vista and Media center - tuner and PVR functions work well.
February 15, 2007 5:48:46 PM

Quote:
I am not trying to bash Vista here, I am just wondering what is making it apparently so difficult to implement full functionality in a TV Tuner/PVR. I will say that until a decent multimedia center is released for my x1900 AIW card, I will not be using Vista as my main OS.
I would. I'm with you -- I wouldn't even consider using Vista until, at least, SP-1.
February 15, 2007 6:23:45 PM

Yeah, I can say that my NVTV tuner card doesn't work in Vista either. Although it's not the best tuner card, MS actually endorsed it in MCE2005 systems...doesn't make much sense to me, but hey, I seldom use it cause I hate television, but thats a whole 'nother matter.
February 15, 2007 7:17:27 PM

vista has drivers built in for all mce 2005 certified hauppauge cards,and also the nvidia dual tuner,no drivers needed other then what comes on the install dvd
February 16, 2007 11:51:24 AM

My ComPro has Vista drivers.
February 23, 2007 3:58:37 AM

If you have an ATI/AMD TV tuner card, do not install/update to Windows Vista. I purchased a new All-In-Wonder 2006 PCI Express in December to specifically utilize the the functionality of Media Center in Vista. I ran the Vista update advisor to make sure my new card would work and no issues were noted. After I upgraded, I found that ATI/AMD had to use a different driver for my video to work but to this date has reported that they do not have a fix for getting the TV tuner to work with Vista. They have not responded with any information and Microsoft has locked up their tech forum to prevent criticism of their inability to work with AMD/ATI to come up with a solution. I have viewed numerous blogs and reviews trying to get more information and many angry ATI owners are just as frustrated as I am.
February 23, 2007 4:02:53 AM

I have two AIWs as well, and this is just one more reason I'm staying away. From what I hear, there are currently no plans to support MMC in Vista due to the difficulty in working working with the system.

However, I did see that some people were able to load other software and at least get their tv tuner functionality working. I don't know about the PVR part.
February 23, 2007 4:26:51 AM

If that is truly the case, Microsoft will be in the courthouse quite a bit in the future as much of their advertising for Vista has been the integration of multimedia solutions. I've been working on and building PCs for many years (15+) and this upgrade has been a nightmare. Vista may turn out to be Microsoft's Folly and Apple's Boom.
February 23, 2007 4:59:58 AM

Quote:
If that is truly the case, Microsoft will be in the courthouse quite a bit in the future as much of their advertising for Vista has been the integration of multimedia solutions. I've been working on and building PCs for many years (15+) and this upgrade has been a nightmare. Vista may turn out to be Microsoft's Folly and Apple's Boom.

I've been calling it Windows ME2 since I first tested it. People criticized me for it for a while, but since its been released, I've seen more nad more people calling it that.

As it stands today, I can't/wont' let it anywhere near my main PC, just on my "lab" box.
February 25, 2007 3:11:03 PM

Quote:

I've been calling it Windows ME2
ROFL
That's hilarious. I'm gonna use that -- it's painfully true.
April 7, 2007 4:26:35 AM

I 've had no problems with my Hauppage dual tuner card with Vista Ultimate nor any problems with the O/S either. And I installed it on a motherboard that wasn't 'certified' for Vista.
April 7, 2007 7:11:48 AM

The problem with the TV tuner cards that some are seeing stems from how the TV card drivers interface with the system. Some do it in a way that conflicts with Vista, others do not.

As for Motherboards, there is absolutely no reason why one would not work in Vista because it wasn't certified. The only things that could cause problems would be lack of chipset driver support (a problem with the chipset and NOT the individual board), Processor support (IE, if they were just too old to support a fast enough processor), or the Integrated Graphics IFF you were relying on those rather than a discrete card. The Vista certification itself is essentially meaningless.
April 10, 2007 5:21:59 PM

I just bought an Avermedia GoTV 007 FM Plus, and it works on both XP and Vista.

Aver says it's Vista compatible, but not Vista certified. I've actually installed it under both operating systems on my dual boot computer with XP Pro and Vista Home Premium.

The PVR software works on both systems, but the remote control doesn't work on Vista, but I never use it anyway.

When I've booted into Vista, and start the tuner, it kicks out of the 'Aero Glass' interface while the tuner is running, but reverts when I close the tuner program.

I think this card was recently discontinued by Aver, but they have Vista drivers and software on their web site.

It was only $39 at Fry's and they seemed to have a good supply on the shelf.
April 26, 2007 5:06:32 PM

Sorry to respond to a thread that was started 2 months ago, however I just wanted to add that the LeadTek WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe works on Vista Ultimate, both the FM Tuner and TV functions work well. Also, the PVR software works good too at recording shows.

Trouble today is finding a modern mobo with enough PCI slots to hold both a TV Tuner and a Sound card while the PCI-E slots are being used.

Updated drivers are on LeadTek's site.
April 28, 2007 8:42:49 PM

Anyone know if the ATI 650 TV/FM Tuner will work in Vista?
!