Baseline Security Analyzer

Does this work? Will it be able to identify major
vulnerabilities/weaknesses? If not, what would be the best products in the
market?

It is a free tool that does check for a lot of misconfigurations such as blank or
weak passwords, guest account being enabled, missing critical updates, and unneeded
services. I suggest you try it to see exactly what it can do. There certainly are
other products that can do a much more thorough job but none are a substitute for a
properly configured and hardened network. Newt Pro and Languard are two you may want
to look into. I believe they both have free trial downloads. Also educating yourself
on security risks and countermeasures is important. Knowledge of the operating system
and how to use Group Policy, security policy, account policy, auditing, updating,
manage group memberships, using AD delegation, and access control lists are extremely
important to secure a network. The links below should help. --- Steve

http://www.gfi.com/lannetscan/
http://www.tenablesecurity.com/newt.html
http://www.infosec.uga.edu/windows.html