Phone - Data Plan

Last response: in Network Providers
December 18, 2004 5:22:01 PM

Thinking of changing from my AT&T One rate plan to Cingular's National
Plan. My present Nokia 5160 is TDMA/AMPS.

I want to use a new phone to get email tethered to my laptop while on
the road. Should I get a GSM/TDMA or a GSM/AMPS phone. Do I need a data
plan? And last, what specifications (Phonescoop), does the phone need to
have in order to do voice/tethered email.

Thanks

onourway

More about : phone data plan

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 6:25:04 PM

In <d2Xwd.6110$uM5.1522@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Sat, 18 Dec
2004 14:22:01 GMT, "Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thinking of changing from my AT&T One rate plan to Cingular's National
>Plan. My present Nokia 5160 is TDMA/AMPS.
>
>I want to use a new phone to get email tethered to my laptop while on
>the road.

Any GSM phone with a data option will do.

>Should I get a GSM/TDMA or a GSM/AMPS phone.

Your only choices are GSM only or GAIT (GSM+TDMA+AMPS).

>Do I need a data
>plan?

Yes, at least a minimum data plan.

>And last, what specifications (Phonescoop), does the phone need to
>have in order to do voice/tethered email.

CSD, GPRS, EDGE, or UMTS.

December 18, 2004 7:49:50 PM

Thanks for the prompt response. Got it. Now what would you call a
minimum data plan? I don't want to text message or anything like that. I
just want to tether the phone to my laptop for email and occasional
browsing.

Thanks

onourway

> In <d2Xwd.6110$uM5.1522@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Sat, 18
> Dec
> 2004 14:22:01 GMT, "Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Thinking of changing from my AT&T One rate plan to Cingular's National
>>Plan. My present Nokia 5160 is TDMA/AMPS.
>>
>>I want to use a new phone to get email tethered to my laptop while on
>>the road.
>
> Any GSM phone with a data option will do.
>
>>Should I get a GSM/TDMA or a GSM/AMPS phone.
>
> Your only choices are GSM only or GAIT (GSM+TDMA+AMPS).
>
>>Do I need a data
>>plan?
>
> Yes, at least a minimum data plan.
>
>>And last, what specifications (Phonescoop), does the phone need to
>>have in order to do voice/tethered email.
>
> CSD, GPRS, EDGE, or UMTS.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
December 18, 2004 9:01:38 PM

MEdia Net (500KB)
$2.99/mo

In <OcZwd.6466$uM5.382@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Sat, 18 Dec 2004
16:49:50 GMT, "Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the prompt response. Got it. Now what would you call a
>minimum data plan? I don't want to text message or anything like that. I
>just want to tether the phone to my laptop for email and occasional
>browsing.
>
>Thanks
>
>onourway

>> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>> In <d2Xwd.6110$uM5.1522@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Sat, 18
>> Dec
>> 2004 14:22:01 GMT, "Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Thinking of changing from my AT&T One rate plan to Cingular's National
>>>Plan. My present Nokia 5160 is TDMA/AMPS.
>>>
>>>I want to use a new phone to get email tethered to my laptop while on
>>>the road.
>>
>> Any GSM phone with a data option will do.
>>
>>>Should I get a GSM/TDMA or a GSM/AMPS phone.
>>
>> Your only choices are GSM only or GAIT (GSM+TDMA+AMPS).
>>
>>>Do I need a data
>>>plan?
>>
>> Yes, at least a minimum data plan.
>>
>>>And last, what specifications (Phonescoop), does the phone need to
>>>have in order to do voice/tethered email.
>>
>> CSD, GPRS, EDGE, or UMTS.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
>> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

December 18, 2004 10:11:38 PM

Don't want to make a pest of myself, but will 500 kb of MediaNet handle
normal monthly email traffic? The explanation on the web site is:
MEdia Net
With MEdia NetSM, you can browse the Internet from your wireless device
allowing you to download ringtones and games, share photos, and much
more. MEdia Net lets you switch to voice calls without closing the
Internet or losing your connection. Plus, you don't pay for the time you
use the service, just for the amount of data you send and receive.

MEdia Net is only available for GPRS devices
that is described above, also get me online with my laptop for email.

> MEdia Net (500KB)
> $2.99/mo
>
> In <OcZwd.6466$uM5.382@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Sat, 18
> Dec 2004
> 16:49:50 GMT, "Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the prompt response. Got it. Now what would you call a
>>minimum data plan? I don't want to text message or anything like that.
>>just want to tether the phone to my laptop for email and occasional
>>browsing.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>onourway

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 10:22:37 PM

500 KB isn't very much. Here are the old Cingular estimates (no longer
published by Cingular, but still available in Google cache):

< CMrRmDiroQJ:https://www.cingular.com/beyond_voice/wi_pricing>" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:D CMrRmDiroQJ:https...;
or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?W28B16EF9&gt;

The 500 KB is for GPRS. You also get CSD with the data package, which just
uses minutes, but is much slower. It can be the cheapest way to get what you
want if you (1) use unlimited Night & Weekend minutes and (2) can put up with
the slow speed (9,600 bps, as compared to as much as 50,000 bps for GPRS).

In <Kh%wd.1117908$Gx4.99707@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Sat, 18 Dec
2004 19:11:38 GMT, "Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Don't want to make a pest of myself, but will 500 kb of MediaNet handle
>normal monthly email traffic? The explanation on the web site is:
>MEdia Net
>With MEdia NetSM, you can browse the Internet from your wireless device
>allowing you to download ringtones and games, share photos, and much
>more. MEdia Net lets you switch to voice calls without closing the
>Internet or losing your connection. Plus, you don't pay for the time you
>use the service, just for the amount of data you send and receive.
>
>MEdia Net is only available for GPRS devices
>that is described above, also get me online with my laptop for email.

>> MEdia Net (500KB)
>> $2.99/mo
>>
>> In <OcZwd.6466$uM5.382@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Sat, 18
>> Dec 2004
>> 16:49:50 GMT, "Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the prompt response. Got it. Now what would you call a
>>>minimum data plan? I don't want to text message or anything like that.
>>>just want to tether the phone to my laptop for email and occasional
>>>browsing.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>onourway

December 19, 2004 10:07:53 PM

John Navas wrote:
> 500 KB isn't very much. Here are the old Cingular estimates (no longer
> published by Cingular, but still available in Google cache):
>
> < CMrRmDiroQJ:https://www.cingular.com/beyond_voice/wi_pricing>" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:D CMrRmDiroQJ:https...;
> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?W28B16EF9&gt;
>
> The 500 KB is for GPRS. You also get CSD with the data package, which just
> uses minutes, but is much slower. It can be the cheapest way to get what you
> want if you (1) use unlimited Night & Weekend minutes and (2) can put up with
> the slow speed (9,600 bps, as compared to as much as 50,000 bps for GPRS).
>

> In <Kh%wd.1117908$Gx4.99707@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Sat, 18 Dec
> 2004 19:11:38 GMT, "Traveling" <rvparked-newsroup@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Don't want to make a pest of myself, but will 500 kb of MediaNet handle
>>normal monthly email traffic? The explanation on the web site is:
>>MEdia Net
>>With MEdia NetSM, you can browse the Internet from your wireless device
>>allowing you to download ringtones and games, share photos, and much
>>more. MEdia Net lets you switch to voice calls without closing the
>>Internet or losing your connection. Plus, you don't pay for the time you
>>use the service, just for the amount of data you send and receive.
>>
>>MEdia Net is only available for GPRS devices
>>that is described above, also get me online with my laptop for email.
>>

>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>MEdia Net (500KB)
>>>$2.99/mo
>>>
>>>In <OcZwd.6466$uM5.382@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Sat, 18
>>>Dec 2004

Not sure how much you wanna spend, but you can get unlimited data for
$19.99 a month. THat way when on road you can get email as well as browe
the web and stuff
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 12:51:31 PM

> 500 KB isn't very much. Here are the old Cingular estimates (no longer
> published by Cingular, but still available in Google cache):
>
> < CMrRmDiroQJ:https://www.cingular.com/beyond_voice/wi_pricing>" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:D CMrRmDiroQJ:https...;
> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?W28B16EF9&gt;
>
> The 500 KB is for GPRS. You also get CSD with the data package, which
> just
> uses minutes, but is much slower. It can be the cheapest way to get what
> you
> want if you (1) use unlimited Night & Weekend minutes and (2) can put up
> with
> the slow speed (9,600 bps, as compared to as much as 50,000 bps for GPRS).

I just moved my service to Cingular yesterday. So far my biggest complaint
is I bought a data plan (2 MB) but Cingular provided NO information on how
to use it. How do I make my phone use CSD rather than GPRS? I have a
Motorola V551.

I came from Verizon with a plan where only airtime minutes applied to web
surfing.

Thanks

Charles Perry P.E.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 10:53:44 PM

g[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <32qrpcF3pl93jU1@individual.net> on Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:51:31 -0500,
"Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I just moved my service to Cingular yesterday. So far my biggest complaint
>is I bought a data plan (2 MB) but Cingular provided NO information on how
>to use it.

That's because: (1) your phone is pre-configured; (2) Cingular doesn't want
you fooling with your settings; and (3) Cingular wants you to use GPRS rather
than CSD.

>How do I make my phone use CSD rather than GPRS?

1. Call Customer Care to make sure your account is provisioned for CSD, and
that CSD is supported in your area.

2. Add a CSD data account to your phone using information from my web pages
below.

>I have a
>Motorola V551.

Good phone.