802.11g - a setup hassle?

octaglider

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
I live in a rural community and we're about to get wireless broadband. When this is installed I intend installing / having installed a wireless home network, cabling being out of the question. (WinXP/HE Athlon PC & WinXP/HE laptop).

The guy who's bringing the broadband in and who would set everything up in one go has been repeatedly 'cautioning' me against the g standard saying that it has not been properly standardised and that it's a pain to setup and maintain. |Basically is there any truth in this? I would like to be able to shunt drive image files (2 - 4 GB) from one computer to the other (well you have to do something on a rainy Sunday). He's a stand up guy but I wonder if he's right.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Steve

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
802.11g setup should be as easy and as difficult as any other wireless setup. It just depends upon the products u purchased and also on the easeof use of the setup utility that comes with these products.

Regarding 802.11g not being properly standardised, he is true but every mfg released 802.11g products and these products do come with warranty and some of them like Belkin with life time warranty. This shouldn't be a concern at all.

802.11b practically gives u a throughput of 4,5KBps and 802.11g gives you 22KBps...

Keep in mind that all of them are already rushing toward a new standard.....802.11SuperG(LinkSys)...802.11ExtremeG(Belkin)....and so on..

These are supposed to give u practical through puit of more than 55KBps...

U can buy a 802.11g products from Linksys and update the firmware to make them 802.11 Super G.

Call their tech supprt and ask them which products u can convert into superG just with a Firmware update....

octaglider

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
Thanks. Food for thought. It seems that upgradeable 802.11g is the way to go whatever his misgivings otherwise I'm going to be stuck with what's basically already obsolete if functional technology.

Where's best for info on the superG standard(s)? Are they likely to be able to work together?

Thanks.

Steve

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
Try a google search LinkSys 54g or 802.11 superg.

I think LinkSys already released some firmware upgrades to for their 54G produts....

Why don't you call them up and ask what all products they got and any other q's.