Logon failure "target account name incorrect"

Hello,

since some days we are experiencing that user logon (w2k
sp4 clients only) to the domain (w2k sp4 servers only) is
resulting in the Message "Logon Failure: The target
account name is incorrect".

The logon from these clients does work when logging on as
a member of the administrator group, but does not work for
all other users.

This behaviour has come out "by accident", nothing was
changed in the network, no additional clients have come to
the network.

We already tried to use some information out of the
Microsoft KB (e.g. http://support.microsoft.com/?
id=288167), but this did not help.

Any idea ?

Thanks for help!

Gerhard

Try enabling auditing of logon events on one of the client computers where
this is happening and in Domain Controller Security Policy enable auditing
of account logon events for success and failure, logon events for failure,
and privilege user for failure. Run secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy
/enforce on the domain controller and then look for failed events in the
security logs of the client computer and in the security logs of the domain
controllers to se if any failed events were recorded that may give a hint to
as what the problem is. Look in the Event Viewer on the domain controllers
for any errors that may indicate a problem with the domain replication. Also
check the Domain Controllers Security Policy to make sure authenticated
users and everyone is included in the user right for access this computer
from the network and that there are not any users/groups in deny access to
this computer from the network that would conflict with the access user
right. Look under security settings/local policies/user rights to find the
user rights. Use the support tools netdiag and dcdiag to check the health
of domain controllers and domain computers. Dcdiag can only be used on
domain controllers. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321708 -- netdiag
info and how to install the support tools.