quad core by august?

customcomputer1

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
hey guys, I've been planning to building a gaming rig in August. I am debating whether to wait or built it now. Should I just get an E6600 now, or should I wait till August in the hope that quad core processors will be available in models for under $400 by August. I can wait until pretty much the second half of August, then I need to build it, cause I need it for school in September.

Thanks!

customcomputer1

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
haha yeah I couldn't agree more! It seems though that DX10 cards have come down in price and the conroe processors are getting cheaper, so hopefully the quad cores will come down a little too. That would be sweet, to have a quad core machine!

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
right, but what I mean is, once you've decided you're going to buy, don't talk yourself out of it because of what's coming, because something is always coming.

Trunkz_Jr

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
woah really?!!! lool im waiting till freaking April or so damn. if its gonna drop almost half in price then I can simply use that money to update something to even better ^_^

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
woah really?!!! lool im waiting till freaking April or so damn. if its gonna drop almost half in price then I can simply use that money to update something to even better ^_^
You won't see it at that price, that's the price intel sells it to other businesses at.

chyort

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
if Intel cuts the price. most honest retailers will do the same or they lose business to the people that do :p yeah they will charge a little bit more than what they pay. but that happens to everything you buy

customcomputer1

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
hmmmm I mean if they're selling quad cores to retailers at $500, which is already a pretty big stretch on my budget, I bet the retailers will add another $100 or so in other costs, I also think the the $500 might be a bit optimistic. I think we'll see a quad core for $600 minimum. I mean I'd love to see them come out with a whole lineup of models, that will also come down into the affordable range. I mean most people can't drop $600 on a processor. It would make a whole lot of sense for them to just make a couple new models and rake in the money as everyone goes crazy over the quads and buys a $300-400 CPU. I dunno, I think I'm going to wait till august. I don't really need a new computer right now. I can always reformat my HD and get a little more speed out of it, but my old comp is doing okay. I think it'll be worth the wait to see if intel makes a good decision and sells a CPU for less than $600.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
hey guys, I've been planning to building a gaming rig in August. I am debating whether to wait or built it now. Should I just get an E6600 now, or should I wait till August in the hope that quad core processors will be available in models for under $400 by August. I can wait until pretty much the second half of August, then I need to build it, cause I need it for school in September.

Thanks!
August is a long time away.

Buy it now.

It still should be fast enough then :)

customcomputer1

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006

Thanks!
August is a long time away.

Buy it now.

It still should be fast enough then :)

yeah I guess by august, if intel doesn't release any lower end quad core options then I can get a $300ish core 2 duo CPU. It might be better that way too, because a $400-500 processor would cut into my budget for other parts. Still I will see if a well priced quad core comes out. Thanks for the help guys!

chyort

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
500 to retailers will be like 550 at worst to consumers. and thats around april... another 4 months and it will drop even more. the question is do you want to wait or not

*Shrugs* up to you when to buy and what :wink:

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
500 to retailers will be like 550 at worst to consumers. and thats around april... another 4 months and it will drop even more. the question is do you want to wait or not

*Shrugs* up to you when to buy and what :wink:
I doubt it, I think it will be atleast 600, atleast.