Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

quad core by august?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 14, 2007 3:41:47 AM

hey guys, I've been planning to building a gaming rig in August. I am debating whether to wait or built it now. Should I just get an E6600 now, or should I wait till August in the hope that quad core processors will be available in models for under $400 by August. I can wait until pretty much the second half of August, then I need to build it, cause I need it for school in September.

Thanks!

More about : quad core august

February 14, 2007 3:45:19 AM

There's never a good time to buy technology.
February 14, 2007 4:02:53 AM

haha yeah I couldn't agree more! It seems though that DX10 cards have come down in price and the conroe processors are getting cheaper, so hopefully the quad cores will come down a little too. That would be sweet, to have a quad core machine!
Related resources
February 14, 2007 4:03:05 AM

i seem to remember intel quads are expected to nose dive in Q2 down to around 500...

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=714230&starttime=0&endtime=0

but as a general rule of thumb... waiting 6+ months will always get you more bang for the buck :p  question is, is it worth using an old PoS computer for that long. or having no computer at all...
February 14, 2007 4:03:50 AM

right, but what I mean is, once you've decided you're going to buy, don't talk yourself out of it because of what's coming, because something is always coming.
February 14, 2007 4:19:32 AM

woah really?!!! lool im waiting till freaking April or so damn. if its gonna drop almost half in price then I can simply use that money to update something to even better ^_^
February 14, 2007 4:28:51 AM

Quote:
woah really?!!! lool im waiting till freaking April or so damn. if its gonna drop almost half in price then I can simply use that money to update something to even better ^_^

You won't see it at that price, that's the price intel sells it to other businesses at.
February 14, 2007 4:31:34 AM

Well if it dropped to $900 CDN by April i'd be happy ^_^
February 14, 2007 4:40:14 AM

Quote:
Well if it dropped to $900 CDN by April i'd be happy ^_^

If you multiply 900 Canadian by the exchange rate...
900 X 12.013 = 10811.70 American dollars!?! whoamg!?!oen!1!one!?!1!?1
February 14, 2007 5:44:19 AM

if Intel cuts the price. most honest retailers will do the same or they lose business to the people that do :p  yeah they will charge a little bit more than what they pay. but that happens to everything you buy
February 15, 2007 3:28:09 AM

hmmmm I mean if they're selling quad cores to retailers at $500, which is already a pretty big stretch on my budget, I bet the retailers will add another $100 or so in other costs, I also think the the $500 might be a bit optimistic. I think we'll see a quad core for $600 minimum. I mean I'd love to see them come out with a whole lineup of models, that will also come down into the affordable range. I mean most people can't drop $600 on a processor. It would make a whole lot of sense for them to just make a couple new models and rake in the money as everyone goes crazy over the quads and buys a $300-400 CPU. I dunno, I think I'm going to wait till august. I don't really need a new computer right now. I can always reformat my HD and get a little more speed out of it, but my old comp is doing okay. I think it'll be worth the wait to see if intel makes a good decision and sells a CPU for less than $600.
February 15, 2007 4:37:44 AM

Quote:
hey guys, I've been planning to building a gaming rig in August. I am debating whether to wait or built it now. Should I just get an E6600 now, or should I wait till August in the hope that quad core processors will be available in models for under $400 by August. I can wait until pretty much the second half of August, then I need to build it, cause I need it for school in September.

Thanks!

August is a long time away.

Buy it now.

It still should be fast enough then :) 
February 15, 2007 5:15:48 AM

Quote:
Well if it dropped to $900 CDN by April i'd be happy ^_^

If you multiply 900 Canadian by the exchange rate...
900 X 12.013 = 10811.70 American dollars!?! whoamg!?!oen!1!one!?!1!?1Nice calculation. $900CAD is ~$760 USD. :wink:
February 15, 2007 11:07:15 AM

yeah cause I see the QX6700 for about $999 USD and $1200 CAD so I would be happy if it dropped to $900 to $999 CAD ^_^
February 15, 2007 8:28:37 PM

Quote:
hey guys, I've been planning to building a gaming rig in August. I am debating whether to wait or built it now. Should I just get an E6600 now, or should I wait till August in the hope that quad core processors will be available in models for under $400 by August. I can wait until pretty much the second half of August, then I need to build it, cause I need it for school in September.

Thanks!

August is a long time away.

Buy it now.

It still should be fast enough then :) 

yeah I guess by august, if intel doesn't release any lower end quad core options then I can get a $300ish core 2 duo CPU. It might be better that way too, because a $400-500 processor would cut into my budget for other parts. Still I will see if a well priced quad core comes out. Thanks for the help guys!
February 16, 2007 12:24:51 AM

500 to retailers will be like 550 at worst to consumers. and thats around april... another 4 months and it will drop even more. the question is do you want to wait or not

*Shrugs* up to you when to buy and what :wink:
February 16, 2007 1:01:22 AM

Quote:
500 to retailers will be like 550 at worst to consumers. and thats around april... another 4 months and it will drop even more. the question is do you want to wait or not

*Shrugs* up to you when to buy and what :wink:

I doubt it, I think it will be atleast 600, atleast.
February 16, 2007 1:13:24 AM

Either way its gonna drop and i'd still be happy. I could wait till April, but I'd die if I had to wait till August x_X
!