About the core 2 duo temp guide

HDDFreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
First up, that is an excellent piece of writing, clear and to the point.

But, my only issue is that like most things, you deal with temperatures which can regularly be 10 degrees lower that where I live (Australia). I do however understand that many of the people on this site live in America, not Australia. If you posted ambient temps for other climates eg. 30 - 45 degrees ambient that would be the icing on the cake.

I'm lucky, it only gets to ~32 where I live, but further down south, there ambient can be your idle! I don't blame you for this minor oversight, as nearly all websites do this, but it would be nice if other ambient temperature were explored.

I say this because it had been ~30 degrees and I couldn't oc safely above 2ghz with the stock intel cooler, but the ambient temp dropped 10 degrees, and lo and behold, I hit 2.1+.

Once again however, thank you for the guide. If you could add one thing though, could it be around how much above ambient the processor should run, not just what it should be running at.

@ ~30 ambient I run at 45 idle and ~68 @ 100% tat load with a stock E6300 and stock cooler, if that helps

Sorry if it sounds like I'm flaming, cause I'm not trying to, just trying to offer some constructive criticism. /[ridiculously long post]

CompuTronix

Intel Master
If you could add one thing though, could it be around how much above ambient the processor should run, not just what it should be running at.

HDDFreak, thank you very much for your input. As I'm continually striving to edit the Guide for the best balance between context, complexity, simplicity, and readability, especially with respect to beginners working on their first build and OC, I appreciate any and all constructive comments, such as yours.

Intel's specifications are clear and firm regarding ambient temperature tables, as are their specs for throttle and shutdown temps, which are not altered by ambient temps. This is especially critical for notebooks, which may be exposed to direct sunlight in extreme temperatures during field work.

Although I twice mentioned ambient temperature as a variable, I may be able to further improve the Guide by including it as one of Intel's specifications, thereby clarifying your point for others who may have the same concerns.

I hope this helps, and thank you again for your comments. :D

Comp 8)

HDDFreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
No problem, but I realised when I posted those temps, that I hadn't set the fan on full speed in bios, I did that and the temps were more like 39 degrees :oops: