NT workstations cant see shares on Windows 2000 server

I have a Windows 2003 DC (first DC in my network) with two Windows 2000 DC.
My WinXP and Win 2000 workstations have no problem seeing share drives on
one of the Win 2000 DC, but it cannot see the second Win 2000 DC shares. I
have created shares and setup the proper permissions on the second Win 2000
DC.
The second Win 2000 DC has the latest patches.
Any Ideas
Thanks for your help.
6 answers Last reply
More about workstations shares windows 2000 server

    Verify that they can ping the problem server by IP address and name. Double
    check that netbios over tcp/ip is enabled on the problem domain controller
    in tcp/ip properties/advanced/wins. When you run nbtstat -n on that server
    it should show at least three entries as registered names. Use " net config
    server " to make sure it is not configured to be hidden. Check it's tcp/ip
    configuration to see if it is also a wins client [if wins is used] and that
    it points to the Windows 2003 domain controller and/or itself as it's
    preferred dns server. See if users can access it using unc as in
    \\computername\sharename or \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename using it's IP
    address if computer name does not work. If the problem dc has multiple nics
    or is a rras server that can sometimes cause problems with the browse list.
    Check Event Viewer on it for any pertinent errors. Software firewall, ipsec
    policy, or tcp/ip filtering can also cause access/visibility problems. Look
    in Local Security Policy on that dc and under security settings/local
    policies/security options the first security option for additional
    restrictions for anonymous access. If it is set to no access without
    explicit anonymous permissions, that has been known to cause problems with
    the computer browser service. If that setting is enable I am not
    recommending you disable if it was enabled for security purposes it but
    beware of the affect it can have on network browsing. --- Steve

    "tkam" <tkam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Windows 2003 DC (first DC in my network) with two Windows 2000 DC.
    > My WinXP and Win 2000 workstations have no problem seeing share drives on
    > one of the Win 2000 DC, but it cannot see the second Win 2000 DC shares. I
    > have created shares and setup the proper permissions on the second Win
    > 2000
    > DC.
    > The second Win 2000 DC has the latest patches.
    > Any Ideas
    > Thanks for your help.

    What do you mean, it can't see the shares?

    If you go Start | Run | \\machinename from a workstation, are you saying it
    gives you a window with no shares in it? Or are you saying that it can't
    find the machine. What happens if you go Start | Run | \\machineipaddress ?

    Also, your post is confusing. In the title, you talk of NT workstations,
    but in the text, you talk of Windows XP and Windows 2000. Which is it?

    Oli

    "tkam" <tkam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Windows 2003 DC (first DC in my network) with two Windows 2000 DC.
    > My WinXP and Win 2000 workstations have no problem seeing share drives on
    > one of the Win 2000 DC, but it cannot see the second Win 2000 DC shares. I
    > have created shares and setup the proper permissions on the second Win
    > 2000
    > DC.
    > The second Win 2000 DC has the latest patches.
    > Any Ideas
    > Thanks for your help.

    Hi,

    Sorry about the confusion. Let me clarify my problem.
    I have created share folders on a Win2000 DC. When i signon to a WinXP and
    Win2000 ws, I have no problem map to the share folders. However, when i
    signon (using the same login name) on a WinNT ws, I cant browse the Win2000
    DC and its share folders. I got an Access Denied message when i double click
    on the Win2000 DC server name. On that same WinNT station (i am using the
    same login name on all ws) I have no problem map to Win2003 DC and another
    Win2000 DC.

    Thanks for your help.

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > Verify that they can ping the problem server by IP address and name. Double
    > check that netbios over tcp/ip is enabled on the problem domain controller
    > in tcp/ip properties/advanced/wins. When you run nbtstat -n on that server
    > it should show at least three entries as registered names. Use " net config
    > server " to make sure it is not configured to be hidden. Check it's tcp/ip
    > configuration to see if it is also a wins client [if wins is used] and that
    > it points to the Windows 2003 domain controller and/or itself as it's
    > preferred dns server. See if users can access it using unc as in
    > \\computername\sharename or \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename using it's IP
    > address if computer name does not work. If the problem dc has multiple nics
    > or is a rras server that can sometimes cause problems with the browse list.
    > Check Event Viewer on it for any pertinent errors. Software firewall, ipsec
    > policy, or tcp/ip filtering can also cause access/visibility problems. Look
    > in Local Security Policy on that dc and under security settings/local
    > policies/security options the first security option for additional
    > restrictions for anonymous access. If it is set to no access without
    > explicit anonymous permissions, that has been known to cause problems with
    > the computer browser service. If that setting is enable I am not
    > recommending you disable if it was enabled for security purposes it but
    > beware of the affect it can have on network browsing. --- Steve
    >

    > "tkam" <tkam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a Windows 2003 DC (first DC in my network) with two Windows 2000 DC.
    > > My WinXP and Win 2000 workstations have no problem seeing share drives on
    > > one of the Win 2000 DC, but it cannot see the second Win 2000 DC shares. I
    > > have created shares and setup the proper permissions on the second Win
    > > 2000
    > > DC.
    > > The second Win 2000 DC has the latest patches.
    > > Any Ideas
    > > Thanks for your help.

    The first thing I would check is to open the Local Security Policy on both
    Windows 2000 domain controllers and make sure that they have the same
    configuration for "security options" as some settings in security options
    can cause problems with downlevel clients. See the link below for
    particulars. Also look in the Event Viewer of the domain controller in
    question to see if any errors show up such as replication or dns
    roblems. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823659 -- see
    section about security settings and example of compatibility problems.

> [...]
    >> explicit anonymous permissions, that has been known to cause problems
    >> with
    >> the computer browser service. If that setting is enable I am not
    >> recommending you disable if it was enabled for security purposes it but
    >> beware of the affect it can have on network browsing. --- Steve
    >>

    >> "tkam" <tkam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a Windows 2003 DC (first DC in my network) with two Windows 2000
    >> >DC.
    >> > My WinXP and Win 2000 workstations have no problem seeing share drives
    >> > on
    >> > one of the Win 2000 DC, but it cannot see the second Win 2000 DC
    >> > shares. I
    >> > have created shares and setup the proper permissions on the second Win
    >> > 2000
    >> > DC.
    >> > The second Win 2000 DC has the latest patches.

    Hi,

    Local Sec Policy and security options are the same in both Win2000 DC.
    Browse thru the security settings, nothing unusual.
    I logon (using Domain administrator and domain user) I get the same error
    message "Access Denied" when i double click at the server name (in Map
    Network Drive, Browse to the Win2000 DC).
    I started a command prompt (login as Domain administartor and domain user)
    and issue the net use command to the share folder, and i got "The Password is
    invalid for \\servername\shared folder, Type the password for
    \\servername\shared folder " After typing the password, i got "System Error 5"

    I demoted the DC to member server of my network and still the same access
    problem.

    Regards,

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> nics
    > >> or is a rras server that can sometimes cause problems with the browse
    > >> list.
    > >> Check Event Viewer on it for any pertinent errors. Software firewall,
    > >> ipsec
    > >> policy, or tcp/ip filtering can also cause access/visibility problems.
    > >> Look
    > >> in Local Security Policy on that dc and under security settings/local
    > >> policies/security options the first security option for additional
    > >> restrictions for anonymous access. If it is set to no access without
    > >> explicit anonymous permissions, that has been known to cause problems
    > >> with
    > >> the computer browser service. If that setting is enable I am not
    > >> recommending you disable if it was enabled for security purposes it but
    > >> beware of the affect it can have on network browsing. --- Steve

    That's peculiar. I could see that happening possibly if there was a more
    restrictive setting for lanmanager authentication or digitally sign
    communications(always) on that server than the other domain controller. Try
    to use this to connect [ net use * \\servername\sharename
    /user:mydomain\username ] . Try it for a domain account and local user
    account on the server, which you may have to create after demoting it though
    it will have built in administrator account. If that does not work
    substitute the IP address of the server for servername to see if that works.
    If none of that works I am about out of ideas other than to use a packet
    sniffer like Ethrereal on both ends to capture the packet exchange sequence
    to look at. --- Steve

    > Hi,
    >
    > Local Sec Policy and security options are the same in both Win2000 DC.
    > Browse thru the security settings, nothing unusual.
    > I logon (using Domain administrator and domain user) I get the same error
    > message "Access Denied" when i double click at the server name (in Map
    > Network Drive, Browse to the Win2000 DC).
    > I started a command prompt (login as Domain administartor and domain user)
    > and issue the net use command to the share folder, and i got "The Password
    > is
    > invalid for \\servername\shared folder, Type the password for
    > \\servername\shared folder " After typing the password, i got "System
    > Error 5"
    >
    > I demoted the DC to member server of my network and still the same access
    > problem.
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
    >
    >> The first thing I would check is to open the Local Security Policy on
    >> both
    >> Windows 2000 domain controllers and make sure that they have the same
    >> configuration for "security options" as some settings in security options
    >> can cause problems with downlevel clients. See the link below for
    >> particulars. Also look in the Event Viewer of the domain controller in
    >> question to see if any errors show up such as replication or dns
    >> roblems. --- Steve
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823659 -- see
    >> section about security settings and example of compatibility problems.
    >>

    >> "tkam" <tkam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Sorry about the confusion. Let me clarify my problem.
    >> > I have created share folders on a Win2000 DC. When i signon to a WinXP
    >> > and
    >> > Win2000 ws, I have no problem map to the share folders. However, when i
    >> > signon (using the same login name) on a WinNT ws, I cant browse the
    >> > Win2000
    >> > DC and its share folders. I got an Access Denied message when i double
    >> > click
    >> > on the Win2000 DC server name. On that same WinNT station (i am using
    >> > the
    >> > same login name on all ws) I have no problem map to Win2003 DC and
    >> > another
    >> > Win2000 DC.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your help.

Windows Server 2003 Windows 2000 Workstations Windows