HD/digital pixelization + sound problems?

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 22, 2004 4:18:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hi,

I'm in San Diego. On July 15th, I started having problems with
digital channels, especially HD channels such as HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and PBS-HD.
The problem is barely noticeable during the day and becomes unbearable after
5pm. Visually, the picture either pixelizes or goes black for up to one
second. At the same time, the sound cuts out. Non-digital channels do not
exhibit the problem.

I don't believe the problem is with my television, since DVD and
XBox [both of which use the same component video ports on the TV] do not
exhibit the problem. The fact that the sound, which does not pass through
the TV, cuts out at the same time as the video also points to the feed.

Today, someone from Time Warner came out to investigate the
problem. He "lowered the signal level" which he said was too high. He
swapped out the Scientific Atlantic HD cable box. He swapped out the cable
cord. When we turned everything back on, everything worked perfectly -- but
this was to be expected since the problem is barely noticeable in the
morning and early afternoon. By 4:30pm, the problem was back, just as bad as
before.

I've scheduled a new appointment with Time Warner for next
Monday and have asked for a late afternoon appointment now that I know the
problem is somewhat correlated to the time of day. Does anyone have even a
remote idea of what might be causing the problem? Thanks.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 7:10:56 AM

Nick Stokes, CSI wrote:

> Today, someone from Time Warner came out to investigate the
> problem.

(sigh) Cable. Good luck. They've been known to lie to people,
repeatedly. Just so that's no big secret to you...

> He "lowered the signal level" which he said was too
> high. He swapped out the Scientific Atlantic HD cable box. He
> swapped out the cable cord.

Which is Cable-ese for saying "I don't have a damned clue."
AKA: Swap out our stuff, hope somebody else gets the service
call next time.

> When we turned everything back on,
> everything worked perfectly -- but this was to be expected since
> the problem is barely noticeable in the morning and early
> afternoon. By 4:30pm, the problem was back, just as bad as
> before.

When does it clear up again? Sundown? Sometime after 11 PM?
or does it vary?

> I've scheduled a new appointment with Time Warner for next
> Monday and have asked for a late afternoon appointment now that
> I know the problem is somewhat correlated to the time of day.

Oh geez, you'll be flirting with keeping somebody away from
their dinner or barstool of choice. They're not going to
appreciate that.

> Does anyone have even a remote idea of what might be causing the
> problem? Thanks.

If it clears up again around sundown, I do, but if not, you're
on your own...

Heat. Something of theirs hanging out on a pole is having a
thermal problem. Hottest hours of the day are generally 2-6 PM,
it takes awhile for it to *really* cook, and about 5:00 it goes
into random, occasional meltdown.

But hey, maybe your signal level is too high. (Sheeeesh)

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 12:57:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

It could be heat related as you are in SD afterall, but after 5pm,
things should start to cool-off somewhat, so that is a bit odd. One
thing that a lot of cable centers have in common is a lack of
understanding on how to set-up and maintain their new digital
equipment. They may have only one person capable of troubleshooting it
(in this case, this is happening downtown and everyone has the
problem, not just you) and sometimes have to get outside help and that
can take days to resolve. There are also remote devices to split the
signal and that can be at a few places and also be a pain to service,
so it may not be an easy fix or one that the first or even second tech
can identify. They have so far eliminated the possibility of it being
in your home and may have not received other complaints yet. If you
know of a neighbor that has the same service, ask them how their set
is behaving to get an idea of where the trouble is. That will at least
get them looking at equipment on the poles. Say hi to Fred, Lamont and
Rollo for me.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Nick Stokes, CSI" <grady@sanford.son> wrote in message
news:p JDLc.1618$GB1.915@twister.socal.rr.com...
> Hi,
>

> I'm in San Diego. On July 15th, I started having
problems with
> digital channels, especially HD channels such as HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and
PBS-HD.
> The problem is barely noticeable during the day and becomes
unbearable after
> 5pm. Visually, the picture either pixelizes or goes black for up to
one
> second. At the same time, the sound cuts out. Non-digital channels
do not
> exhibit the problem.
>

> I don't believe the problem is with my television, since
DVD and
> XBox [both of which use the same component video ports on the TV] do
not
> exhibit the problem. The fact that the sound, which does not pass
through
> the TV, cuts out at the same time as the video also points to the
feed.

> Today, someone from Time Warner came out to investigate
the
> problem. He "lowered the signal level" which he said was too high.
He
> swapped out the Scientific Atlantic HD cable box. He swapped out the
cable
> cord. When we turned everything back on, everything worked
perfectly -- but
> this was to be expected since the problem is barely noticeable in
the
> morning and early afternoon. By 4:30pm, the problem was back, just
as bad as
> before.
>

> I've scheduled a new appointment with Time Warner for
next
> Monday and have asked for a late afternoon appointment now that I
know the
> problem is somewhat correlated to the time of day. Does anyone have
even a
> remote idea of what might be causing the problem? Thanks.

July 22, 2004 7:50:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater.misc,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Here's is what Time Warner says:
==========================
Thank you for contacting us regarding your service. I apologize that we
were not able to resolve the issue on the first visit. Unfortunately,
sometimes these intermittent problems can be tricky to pin down and correct.

From what you are describing, it sounds like the issue is being caused by
either a fissure or crack in the cable that sort of 'self-seals' during the
heat of the day when the cable expands and then shrinks back when the cable
cools down allowing interference to enter the line; or by an outside source
of interference such as a major appliance, a fan, a halogen light, an air
conditioner or any number of other sources.

I have noted on the work request that this is the second call for this issue
and that the problem occurs mainly after 4 PM. You may also wish to tape
the issue as it happens this evening, so if the signal is behaving properly
tomorrow, the technician can see what the 'symptoms' are.

I hope I've given you a bit of an explanation of possible causes, and please
let me know how the visit goes tomorrow- I'd like to hear that we've been
able to get it taken care of.

Have a great night!
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 9:59:38 PM

"Nick Stokes, CSI" <grady@sanford.son> wrote (in part):

> I'm in San Diego. On July 15th, I started having problems with
>digital channels, especially HD channels such as HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and PBS-HD.
>The problem is barely noticeable during the day and becomes unbearable after
>5pm. Visually, the picture either pixelizes or goes black for up to one
>second. At the same time, the sound cuts out. Non-digital channels do not
>exhibit the problem.

Another responder suggested heat buildup in equipment along the path
to you, provided the problem goes away after sundown. If not, but it
goes away late at night after most people have gone to bed, I'd
suspect that bandwidth is being taken for other purposes. It's long
been thought that Internet access speed goes down as more of your
neighbors on the same cable run use it. Another bandwidth-drainer
that increases in the evening is Video On Demand. I don't know if
either of these services is allowed to encroach on the bandwidth
alloted to fixed digital channels, but they might be.

E. Ogden <eoyymm@nycap.rr.com>
where yymm is the current year and month
!