Very basic networking question

RoaldEuller

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I just finished building a computer based around the ASUS M2NPV-VM, which has gigabit LAN built in. Everything about the computer works fine, except that I cannot see the the LAN.

When I go into Control Panel->Network and Dial Up Connections (the OS is XP), I *can* see the fire wire port, which is marked with a little network symbol, but I cannot see the Gigabit LAN interface.

I thought all I would need to do is plug in a live network cable and bingo I would be in business. Am I overlooking something really basic? Does the fact that I can't see the LAN indicate that the motherboard is defective? Is there some network initalization that I need to do first? I have tried working through the various wizards to "connect to a local net work" several times, but this yields no results, I guess because XP doesn't see a network to connect to.

FYI, my DSL service comes in through a Westall modem and then through a Linksys router. I run my existing desktop and a laptop successfully off this connection.

Thanks - I realize this must seem and incredibly noobish question.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
how are you currently connected to the net, via WiFi or LAN? it's indeed an odd one, i'd think your LAN adaptor is disabled in the BIOS or something, but make sure you're using the latest gigabit adaptors from the makers of your onboard LAN (it's not asus), probably broadcom, marvell, or something like that, check the specs of your mobo

RoaldEuller

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Thanks for the advice. As silly as it seems, it was just a matter of installing the chipset drivers, and everything worked just fine. Duh.

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Hey, glad to hear the driver install worked! There might be a later driver than what you have now, just run windows update (with caution...every user has their own update preferences) and it should show you if there are any further updates available.