I have an OEM version of Windows and want to back up my registry. Every
site I've visited instructs me to insert the Windows CD, which of
course, I don't have. What I do have is a set of seven recovery disks
that HP reluctantly sent to me after I called repeatedly....TIA

HP Pavilion
WinXP Home w/SP2

In article <27576-4225EAA5-43@storefull-3112.bay.webtv.net>,
martymkm@webtv.net says...
> I have an OEM version of Windows and want to back up my registry. Every
> site I've visited instructs me to insert the Windows CD, which of
> course, I don't have. What I do have is a set of seven recovery disks
> that HP reluctantly sent to me after I called repeatedly....TIA
>
> HP Pavilion
> WinXP Home w/SP2

I use ernt. It backs up the registry and makes it easy to restore. I use
it before I install anything. it takes about 10 seconds.
You can get it here.
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

They also have a utility (both free) that optimizes the registry. It
does it in a safe and unique way. It rewrites the whole thing thus
eliminating fragments. New files aren't fragmented. Anyway after a
reboot it renames the new restored registry.
For what it's worth.
Dave

Are you saying that you have a preinstalled version of Windows? (There are
OEM cd's which are genuine Windows cd's but say on them "For installation on
a new computer only.") System Restore backs up the registry (Start>All
Programs>Accessories). If you are using XP Pro you have Backup at
Start>All_Programs>Accessories>System Tools and you can back up the System
State. You did not say whether you have Home or Pro. If you are using
Home, you can get Backup at
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

<martymkm@webtv.net> wrote in message
>I have an OEM version of Windows and want to back up my registry. Every
> site I've visited instructs me to insert the Windows CD, which of
> course, I don't have. What I do have is a set of seven recovery disks
> that HP reluctantly sent to me after I called repeatedly....TIA
>
> HP Pavilion
> WinXP Home w/SP2

Yes, windows came pre-installed. (pc is only a few months old) When I
inquired as to not having any installation cd HP informed me that
windows XP was already installed on a hidden partition, and that I
didn't need a CD....

That is true, but then you can only restore the original hard disk image,
thus losing what you have now. What I don't understand is what you are
specifically doing that causes your computer to ask for the cd. What step
do you perform that causes this message?

Backing up the registry is as easy as this:

Start>Run and then type REGEDIT in the Open box and click OK. The Registry
Editor appears. On the File menu choose Export... and an Export Registry
File requestor appears with the cursor on File Name. Give the file a name
and click OK. Note that it will save to My Documents, but you can save
wherever you want by browsing in the usual way.

> Yes, windows came pre-installed. (pc is only a few months old) When I
> inquired as to not having any installation cd HP informed me that
> windows XP was already installed on a hidden partition, and that I
> didn't need a CD....

I like to have a plain old Windows hologrammed cd for the times the system
asks for the Windows cd (very rare) so I don't buy a computer without one or
I buy a bare bones system and build it up myself, including a retail copy of
XP Pro. In many cases, when the system asks for a Windows cd, any XP cd (of
the same type as on your computer) will suffice.

> That is true, but then you can only restore the original hard disk image,
> thus losing what you have now. What I don't understand is what you are
> specifically doing that causes your computer to ask for the cd. What step
> do you perform that causes this message?
>
> Backing up the registry is as easy as this:
>
> Start>Run and then type REGEDIT in the Open box and click OK. The
> Registry Editor appears. On the File menu choose Export... and an Export
> Registry File requestor appears with the cursor on File Name. Give the
> file a name and click OK. Note that it will save to My Documents, but you
> can save wherever you want by browsing in the usual way.

> <martymkm@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> Yes, windows came pre-installed. (pc is only a few months old) When I
>> inquired as to not having any installation cd HP informed me that
>> windows XP was already installed on a hidden partition, and that I
>> didn't need a CD....

Thanks Colin. Exporting it is just what I wanted, done deal. Ahem,
speaking of done deals, I would not have bought this pc if I had known
about the no disk, hidden partition scenario. Oh well, live and learn,
but thank goodness for gun laws....

Glad you are on your way. Good luck.

martymkm@webtv.net wrote:
> I have an OEM version of Windows and want to back up my registry. Every
> site I've visited instructs me to insert the Windows CD, which of
> course, I don't have. What I do have is a set of seven recovery disks
> that HP reluctantly sent to me after I called repeatedly....TIA
>
> HP Pavilion
> WinXP Home w/SP2

You don't need an installation CD to back up your registry. In
Regedit, click File > Export.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: