Permissions on a removable media

We have a user that has a usb drive that allows him to plug
in compact flash cards to read the data. He gets many cards
a week and needs to format them. All of our users are setup
as power users on our network. I have tried a few
permission changes in computer management, with no change.
He gets the permissions error.

Any help would be great.

Erik
3 answers Last reply
More about permissions removable media

    I don't know for sure but there is a security option in Local Security
    Policy called allowed to "eject removable media". In Windows XP Pro this
    security option is called "eject and format removable media". You can modify
    it to add power users. Use secpol.msc to open Local Security Policy and go
    to security settings/local policies/security options to find it. Run secedit
    /refreshpolicy machine_policy enforce after configuring it. If that does not
    work you may have to make that user local administrator on his computer. A
    local administrator has no special powers in the domain or on other
    domain/network computers. --- Steve

    "Erik" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have a user that has a usb drive that allows him to plug
    > in compact flash cards to read the data. He gets many cards
    > a week and needs to format them. All of our users are setup
    > as power users on our network. I have tried a few
    > permission changes in computer management, with no change.
    > He gets the permissions error.
    >
    > Any help would be great.
    >
    > Erik

    Hello,

    Erik wrote:
    > We have a user that has a usb drive that allows him to plug
    > in compact flash cards to read the data. He gets many cards
    > a week and needs to format them. All of our users are setup

    I have the same problem. I cannot even write to the CF. Up to now, the
    user had local administrator rights. But as the computer caught a virus
    yesterday, I want to avoid this.

    I will try the solution posted by steven. But otherwise, could you mail
    me, if you found an other solution`

    Greetings

    Ernst

    Steven L Umbach wrote:
    > I don't know for sure but there is a security option in Local Security
    > Policy called allowed to "eject removable media".

    Thank you. At least for me, it worked.

    Greetings

    Ernst

Permissions Windows