milwsysbuilder

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I had the weirdest build issue I've ever seen. I was rebuilding a system for someone and 2 different motherboards (different types) and 2 PSUs simply wouldn't run. If you pushed the power button the system would turn on and immeadiate (~30ms) shut off. I even hooked up a different power button to verify that wasn't the problem. Is it possible that the chassis was warped and that the metal was touching the bottom of the mobo and somehow screwing things up? It didn't look like it was, but I really can't explain this one.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I would try taking everything out of the case and plugging everything in on a non conductive surface and see if it works. I've built computers outside of the case plenty of times.

I agree it sounds like a short. Taking everything out of the case and firing it up is also a good idea.

Here's a trick I learned after troubleshooting a shorted mobo to case issue, I got into the habit of making little paper washers out of thin cardboard or even masking tape for use between the brass mobo standoffs and the mobo, this provides just enough of an insulator to remove any short out points.

Also, if you've run any wires under the mobo to clean up the appearance of the build, make sure any part of the cables have insulation where it may touch the mobo.

Good luck!

milwsysbuilder

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I should have mentioned in OP but it fired right up outside of the case. I'm just trying to figure out what the hell was wrong. Like I said, it didn't seem like the motherboard was touching anything besides the boardstands... and my screws had washers. Must just not have been able to see it though as I can't come up with any other reasonable explanation.

Years back, I scavenged header connectors, LED's, wiring, and a speaker from a junked case, added two push button switches, and assembled them in a plastic floppy disk box. It gives me a portable control panel. Add a PSU, a nylon cutting board (insulated surface), and the fourth port of my KVM switch and I do not need a case to test a computer. I also do not need to break down my main systems.

It's very handy to quickly test either a new or a "salvage" build.

john

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
It could be, it could be not. What you can do, if you want to see if the case is to blame, build your stuff, but avoid connecting frontal usb, audio connectors to the mobo. If they are causing a short you wont be able to do anything. If you successfully boot change the case.

The second test, try to boot with the bare minimum, integrated video, and hd. Then add a piece of hardware at a time.

I had a similar problem in three different flavors. The first was a dead video card. The second one was a front usb case connector causing a short. And the third something weird with the ram dimms. In this last case I unpluged all but one of my dimms, boot, and then ad a dimm at a time.

Hope it helps.

Bajo el aparente caos hay un completo desmadre

8)

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
If your case is not to blame, what about your psu? When you build outside the case did it boot?, if not, it may be (may) your psu
8)

PC_Side_Line

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Very cool Youtube vid chuck, ummm where can i get a copy of that music?

U ever been to the tech forum at www.minasi.com?

What mmorg games u play with that rig?

Does the liquid ever get hot? or does the recycling of it keep it cool even if u were to run it for a whole 7 days straight?