HDTV Broadcast Cameras

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 21, 2004 1:40:07 AM

Is it my imagination, or are the newer tinier cameras found at ballparks
broadcasting their games in HD the *new* ones that actually can produce the
1080i signal?

They are about 1/5 the size, and they are so much better (relative term, i
guess). Is there any downside to them? I know the gigantic Canon branded
NTSC Cameras can zoom, like, and I'm not making this up, a billion times.

Good god sports in HD is just so much better.

More about : hdtv broadcast cameras

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 1:45:30 PM

"ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it my imagination, or are the newer tinier cameras found at ballparks
> broadcasting their games in HD the *new* ones that actually can produce
> the
> 1080i signal?
>
> They are about 1/5 the size, and they are so much better (relative term, i
> guess). Is there any downside to them? I know the gigantic Canon branded
> NTSC Cameras can zoom, like, and I'm not making this up, a billion times.
>
> Good god sports in HD is just so much better.

Most of the cameras you see are all actually about the same size. When you
add a big pedestal, large zoom lens, large viewfinder etc it makes it seem
like a bigger camera, but HD and SD broadcast quality camera's themselves
are really about the same size. Go out to center field and look at the
cameras covering the pitch and home plate and you will see large lenses on
all of them SD or HD. Right now there just aren't as many of the big
"studio" type HD cameras available in the field so you see more of them in
closer camera locations and handheld situations.

Charles Tomaras
Seattle, WA
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 8:17:34 PM

"Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message news:<r9GdnVDwsPq9cmLdRVn-ow@comcast.com>...
> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is it my imagination, or are the newer tinier cameras found at ballparks
> > broadcasting their games in HD the *new* ones that actually can produce
> > the
> > 1080i signal?
> >
> > They are about 1/5 the size, and they are so much better (relative term, i
> > guess). Is there any downside to them? I know the gigantic Canon branded
> > NTSC Cameras can zoom, like, and I'm not making this up, a billion times.
> >
> > Good god sports in HD is just so much better.
>

> Most of the cameras you see are all actually about the same size. When you
> add a big pedestal, large zoom lens, large viewfinder etc it makes it seem
> like a bigger camera, but HD and SD broadcast quality camera's themselves
> are really about the same size. Go out to center field and look at the
> cameras covering the pitch and home plate and you will see large lenses on
> all of them SD or HD. Right now there just aren't as many of the big
> "studio" type HD cameras available in the field so you see more of them in
> closer camera locations and handheld situations.
>
> Charles Tomaras
> Seattle, WA

There is a new wave of small HD box cameras (panasonic, Sony) that are
being used on small robotics. They are adequate for sure.. but
typically have limited control, so sometimes the image quality can be
a little off versus a Triax / Fiber controlled camera.

There are plenty of Studio cameras out there... these box cameras
just provide coverage at a low price, and in some cases, coverage in
places we can't get into.
!