BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
http://news.com.com/More+memory+coming+to+future+IBM+chips/2100-1006_3-6159172.html?tag=nefd.top

Moving from SRAM to DRAM. Thought the sizes were interesting. Anyone have any good info on this?

wes

It depends on what info you're lokign for. ATi used EDRAM for the Xenos chip and Alpha also used it for parts of its cache I believe.

If you mean info about the process , I have no idea. Check out the ISSCC page. They may have links ot IBMs research.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I wonder if AMD will use this on their 45nm shrink.

Hard to say. AD has been looking at ZRAM. It is posible though since they may not adopt metal gates for Shanghai. May be they don't want to add too much at the same time.

ZRAM would make decent L3, but eDRAM would probably be better for both L2 and L3 in general.

Who knows. Maybe ZRAM will be a part of future chipsets to give Vista a boost.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I wonder if AMD will use this on their 45nm shrink.

Hard to say. AD has been looking at ZRAM. It is posible though since they may not adopt metal gates for Shanghai. May be they don't want to add too much at the same time.

ZRAM would make decent L3, but eDRAM would probably be better for both L2 and L3 in general.

Who knows. Maybe ZRAM will be a part of future chipsets to give Vista a boost.

Yeah, it definitey would kick butt. XBox 360 has 10MB eDRAM on the GPU and it provides like 64GB/s(?) bandwidth.