Can I use a primary SATA HD and a slave ATA (IDE) HD?

ghostwalker

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Basically, forgive my ignorance, but can I use both SATA and ATA HD's together? I'm using the SATA drive as my primary drive with windows etc stored on it but have an ATA (IDE) drive with stuff on as well that I'd like to use set up as a slave drive. Is this possible?

While I'm on the subject, can someone explain the difference between all the different drives (e.g. ATA, SATA, SCSI, RAID etc) to me please, and their pro's and con's.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. :oops:

Thanks.

The rig:
Core 2 Duo E6600
ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
1x512MB DDR + 1x1GHz DDR
160GB HD + 10GB HD
Enermax 350W

georgelawton

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
right click on my computer and go to "Manage" and set them up there.
You will need to tell Windows what you are doing. Hook your IDE up as a Master however, then force windows to recongnize it as d:

I assume this was your question?

ghostwalker

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Ok. So I hook my main drive up as SATA with the jumpers set to 'primary drive' and I hook up my secondary drive as ATA with the jumpers set to 'primary drive' as well? Or should the secondary drive jumpers be set to 'slave'?

georgelawton

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
thats how i had to do it, but i use a sata controller card cause my mobo only has ide channels.

I believe thats hwo you have to do it to, because sata and ide are um different, teehee.

ghostwalker

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
thats how i had to do it, but i use a sata controller card cause my mobo only has ide channels.

I believe thats hwo you have to do it to, because sata and ide are um different, teehee.

Ok. Thanks for your help. I'll have a look at it tonight and see what I can do.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I have a SATA and IDE hdd in the same system setup exactly the way you want it. Installed windows on the sata drive. Couple of weeks later hooked up my ide drive, had to set my sata as boot drive in bios again because when i add the ide it assumes it is the default drive, and booted windows. Windows recognised the drive, installed it and i was good to go.

Didn't have to mess about with jumpers because SATA drives don't have them and i only had 1 ide drive on the cable. Just make sure it is set to master or slave, imo cable select is the worst possible setting and has caused me problems before.