X2 3800+ proc for $109

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Regular x2's do not work in a dual-socket board. Only multi-socket Opterons (2xx/2xxx and possibly 8xx/8xxx) as well as the new FX-7x series can run in dual-socket configurations. Those chips all carry a premium price and are far past the low-budget range.

However, a $109 A64 dual-core is an incredible price for budget performance. The transition to multi-core seems to have the side effect of making software developers accomodate systems with far fewer resources. Performance of an x2 3800+ was available under the previous 939 socket almost 1.5 years ago at a mainstream price, and such processors hardly show any signs of obsolescence today. Additionally, the 3800+ today is a very good overclocker and can routinely reach the performance levels of higher-end single-socket AMD systems.

This is interesting, because I'm wanting to explore the possibility of doing a quad core right now (with upgrade path for later), using 2 x2 3800s in a board. I wonder what the options are. Anyone know?

Sorry there Chief, there are no dual socket 939 or AM2 boards to support 2 X23800's, don't even think AMD's 4x4 does. Aside from 4x4, if you want a dual socket rig, you gotta go with Opteron or Xeon.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

This is interesting, because I'm wanting to explore the possibility of doing a quad core right now (with upgrade path for later), using 2 x2 3800s in a board. I wonder what the options are. Anyone know?There is no dual socket AM2 boards in existence, and if there was the CPUs only have 1 HTT link.
yeah, that's what I've seen. Even though it would take a bit of effort, you'd think Asus would go ahead and do something (if possible), just because it could generate it's own excitement and sales!

I mean, who not engineer a real dual socket AM2, even working like 2 seperate computers in some ways, and one in others (so just one OP seeing 4 cores).

I mean, it seems like an opportunity to gain some market share, since it would be novel here, and thus profitable.

Sirfiroth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
The cpu manufactures would not take lightly to someone making a dual socket board for am2 or 775 this would most suredly kill the sales of their more expensive processors. Just a thought.

“Tell us what you need and we'll tell you how to get by without it.” Tech Support

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
OMG, Yeah.. :lol: So far, this is the "best bang for the buck"!
BTW, you should change the topic to "X2 3800+ for $109", because there are dualcores for less. Ex: Pentium D 805, $75
Quite correct; there was the golden age of the 805 once, and now the 3800+/3600+ have taken it's place. I believe these two chips make the main part of AMD's sales lately.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
All the X2 prices dropped significantly. This is good news for AMD cause this puts them back in the game. At least until Intel does another price cut. Its getting crazy. Obviously were the beneficiaries but its not good for Intel or AMD to keep squeezing prices.
I saw some new Brisbanes in there too.

While it seems like it would matter, in the end it's the overall earnings, and the most closely related metrics, like the margins, that seem to matter on the stock price. So it's only because of Barcelona that AMD ought to rise above this $15 area, IMO. The higher average selling prices (ASP), will mean better margins, and better earnings. The market wants to know that AMD will continue to have earnings in the future. I think it will, because I think there is a limit to how long the Intel CEO can ignore Intel profits and owners (shareholders). Quite a few CEOs have lost their jobs recently because of poor stock performance. So the ego of Paul O. faces a limit ultimately.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
The cpu manufactures would not take lightly to someone making a dual socket board for am2 or 775 this would most suredly kill the sales of their more expensive processors. Just a thought.

“Tell us what you need and we'll tell you how to get by without it.” Tech Support

While there are the AMD plans about platforms and such, I don't think AMD could do much or even would care much if Asus or some MB maker came up with such an innovation for Am2 chips.

It wouldn't hurt AMD to have the demand for the AM2 chips uptick due to such a new option for enthusiasts. Because someone who would build such a box will also be happy someday to put quads in it for 8 cores.

thexder1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I agree that AMD would probably like the idea. Look at when Gigabyte used 2 nforce 4 SLI chipsets to make a quad SLI mobo before Nvidia came up with the idea. Nvidia then decided it was a good idea and developed their own solution. I believe the same would happen if someone figured out how to get two AM2 CPUs to work together.

Now that I think about it they may be able to do something like what Gigabyte did to get that to work using the link from the northbridge some how to get the other HTT link. That would not be as fast as the real multi processor systems but someone might be able to get it to work.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
OMG, Yeah.. :lol: So far, this is the "best bang for the buck"!
BTW, you should change the topic to "X2 3800+ for $109", because there are dualcores for less. Ex: Pentium D 805, $75
Quite correct; there was the golden age of the 805 once, and now the 3800+/3600+ have taken it's place. I believe these two chips make the main part of AMD's sales lately.

Indeed, I'm building an E4300 rig ATM but I might get an X2 3600+ for my office PC to replace the ageing XP 2400+ workhorse... not that it really needs an upgrade, it does everything I need it to (RAR files take a while to un/compress I'll admit) but the dual cores are so cheap nowadays, why the heck not? 8)

fueled_by_ramen

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I've been looking at PC parts (on newegg mainly) regularly for the past month and a half. The X2 3800's were $135 for a while, then about a week or two ago dropped to $119 and now to $109 ($115 for the 65W version). Almost every day now I'm expecting to pull up newegg and see yet another drop.

One thing I noticed however, is that the Brisbane chips, while still falling in price, will have a random spike now and then. The X2 4000 Brisbane 2.1GHz was $145 one day, then the next went up to $160 or so. I thought that was strange, but figured it was because more people started buying them. (That old supply and demand thing...gotta love it). Then they were back to $145 a day or two later. Actually, as I was writing this, I happened to check newegg for that chip again and now it's $140. HAHA

With these falling prices, I am tempted to wait just a bit longer to see how low they will really go. If the X2 3800 goes sub-$100 I might fall outta my chair. Wonder when Intel is gonna drop prices for its C2D's.

endyen

Splendid
Damn!!
I can get a 3500 in Canada for the equivalent of $92us, but that X2 3800 costs $154us.
I'm building a couple of systems for people to use as internet appliances.
The 3500s will do fine, but dual core would be nice.

AlmightyMan

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
holy $@#)$)* thanks for the post. I was gonna order a FX-60 S939 for the mobo that i'm using...but since the mobo has a little "detecting" problem so i decided not to buy the cpu ~ US$400 on ebay...damn the price drop... :D nice watching AMD and Intel fighting around

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
holy $@#)$)* thanks for the post. I was gonna order a FX-60 S939 for the mobo that i'm using...but since the mobo has a little "detecting" problem so i decided not to buy the cpu ~ US$400 on ebay...damn the price drop... :D nice watching AMD and Intel fighting around
The price drop applies to sAM2, not to s939. The prices of s939 are going up.
BTW, FX-60 is just a waste of money....but your money :lol:

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
The price drop applies to sAM2, not to s939. The prices of s939 are going up.
BTW, FX-60 is just a waste of money....but your money :lol:
Yes; I still have the bitter taste of what I had to pay for my 4200+. Getting and OC-ing an Opty 165-175 or X2 is the only way to get decent price/performance on a S939 nowadays.