So let me get this straight.. another activation question

I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a piece
of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction. I am
building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using My old HDD,
both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I stand on
re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as my hardware with
this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of Jan/05
due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this feeling I
am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything that can
be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get my 2
free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that also.
thanks for your time

slotcarz
31 answers Last reply
More about straight activation question

    The license for an OEM version of Windows XP is tied forever to
    the first computer it was installed and activated on. If you make a
    major hardware change, such as installing an entirely different motherboard,
    the license is no longer valid. That is one reason OEM versions cost less...
    no support directly from Microsoft.

    A "retail version" of Windows XP is what you need if future
    hardware upgrades are anticipated.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    slotcarz wrote:
    > I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a piece
    > of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction. I am
    > building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using My old HDD,
    > both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I stand on
    > re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as my hardware with
    > this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of Jan/05
    > due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this feeling I
    > am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything that can
    > be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get my 2
    > free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that also.
    > thanks for your time
    >
    > slotcarz

    The operative words in you post may be "... building a new pc...."

    However, you will also be transferring some of the hardware
    components (something more significant than a case screw or power cord)
    from the old PC to the new PC. Will you also be using the same case?
    So, your actions could possibly be construed as a hardware upgrade,
    rather than as a "new computer." Additionally, you'll have entered a
    grey area in the OEM EULA.

    According to the EULA, an OEM license may not be transferred from
    one distinct PC to another PC. However, this most emphatically does not
    prohibit one from repairing or upgrading the PC on which an OEM license
    is installed.

    Now, some people believe that the motherboard is the key component
    that defines the "original computer," but the OEM EULA does not make any
    such distinction. Others have said that one could successfully argue
    that it's the PC's case that is the deciding component, as that is where
    one is instructed to affix the OEM CoA label w/Product Key. Again, the
    EULA does not specifically define any single component as the computer.

    Microsoft has, to date, been very careful _not_ publicly to define
    when an incrementally upgraded computer ceases to be the original
    computer. The closest I've ever seen a Microsoft employee come to this
    definition (in a public forum) is to tell the person making the inquiry
    to consult the PC's manufacturer. As the OEM license's support is
    solely the responsibility of said manufacturer, they should determine
    what sort of hardware changes to allow before the warranty and support
    agreements are voided. To paraphrase: An incrementally upgraded
    computer ceases to be the original computer, as pertains to the OEM
    EULA, only when the *OEM* says it's a different computer. If you've
    built the system yourself, and used a generic OEM CD, then _you_ are the
    "OEM," and _you_ get to decide when you'll no longer support your product."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Um .. Wow Bruce!
    I am going balls to wall (sorta I guess),
    - P4 HT 3 Ghz Prescott cpu, (need a new board for it)
    - ASRock P4V88 RAID VIA PT880 Chipset Motherboard ( cheaper but I'm sure it
    will work ok)(so new memory)
    - 512 mb DDR333 ram
    - new case to accomodate the new mix and heat off this bad boy..
    so yes I have bought a new case..

    Using from old pc
    - 40 GB HDD
    - DVD rom
    - DVD/RW
    - floppy drive
    - radeon 9200 video card
    - sound blaster card

    I can see that the OS locks itself but like said above, I got a piece of
    wire for my "hardware requirement". Maybe the seller is at fault on that one
    but I'm sure it wasn't enforced like it should be or pull it all off of ebay
    and not let it be sold as it probably was sold with a pc at some point before
    it got to ebay.
    oh well..live and learn right??
    cya

    > The operative words in you post may be "... building a new pc...."
    >
    > However, you will also be transferring some of the hardware
    > components (something more significant than a case screw or power cord)
    > from the old PC to the new PC. Will you also be using the same case?
    > So, your actions could possibly be construed as a hardware upgrade,
    > rather than as a "new computer." Additionally, you'll have entered a
    > grey area in the OEM EULA.
    >
    > According to the EULA, an OEM license may not be transferred from
    > one distinct PC to another PC. However, this most emphatically does not
    > prohibit one from repairing or upgrading the PC on which an OEM license
    > is installed.
    >
    > Now, some people believe that the motherboard is the key component
    > that defines the "original computer," but the OEM EULA does not make any
    > such distinction. Others have said that one could successfully argue
    > that it's the PC's case that is the deciding component, as that is where
    > one is instructed to affix the OEM CoA label w/Product Key. Again, the
    > EULA does not specifically define any single component as the computer.
    >
    > Microsoft has, to date, been very careful _not_ publicly to define
    > when an incrementally upgraded computer ceases to be the original
    > computer. The closest I've ever seen a Microsoft employee come to this
    > definition (in a public forum) is to tell the person making the inquiry
    > to consult the PC's manufacturer. As the OEM license's support is
    > solely the responsibility of said manufacturer, they should determine
    > what sort of hardware changes to allow before the warranty and support
    > agreements are voided. To paraphrase: An incrementally upgraded
    > computer ceases to be the original computer, as pertains to the OEM
    > EULA, only when the *OEM* says it's a different computer. If you've
    > built the system yourself, and used a generic OEM CD, then _you_ are the
    > "OEM," and _you_ get to decide when you'll no longer support your product."
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    No. At activation the tool takes a snapshot of the hardware and it does not
    know nor care when or how that hardware configuration came to be. It only
    cares if later changes render the configuration in that first snapshot
    "unrecognizable" as the same machine. See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302806
    and the links at the end of the article. Some components are weighted more
    heavily than others. The total score is ten. Changing the NIC carries the
    severist hit at three points.

> [...]
    >
    > Microsoft has, to date, been very careful _not_ publicly to define
    > when an incrementally upgraded computer ceases to be the original
    > computer. The closest I've ever seen a Microsoft employee come to this
    > definition (in a public forum) is to tell the person making the inquiry to
    > consult the PC's manufacturer. As the OEM license's support is solely the
    > responsibility of said manufacturer, they should determine what sort of
    > hardware changes to allow before the warranty and support agreements are
    > voided. To paraphrase: An incrementally upgraded computer ceases to be
    > the original computer, as pertains to the OEM EULA, only when the *OEM*
    > says it's a different computer. If you've built the system yourself, and
    > used a generic OEM CD, then _you_ are the "OEM," and _you_ get to decide
    > when you'll no longer support your product."

    Hi,

    Sadly, OEM copies are generally tied to the system they are first activated
    on and cannot be moved to a new one. While this is not universal, that is
    the way it is most of the time. This restriction is one of the reasons why
    they are cheaper than retail versions. A new cpu and motherboard is
    essentially a new system, and you will likely not be able to activate it.
    This is really a case of "you get what you pay for".

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a piece
    > of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction. I am
    > building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using My old HDD,
    > both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I stand on
    > re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as my hardware with
    > this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of Jan/05
    > due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this feeling
    > am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything that
    > can
    > be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get my 2
    > free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that also.
    > thanks for your time
    >
    > slotcarz

    Thanks for replying so fast. I can now say I really know the difference
    between OEM and retail. That is one thing that is not stressed at ebay on
    these auctions and that should be changed.
    I unfortunatly will have to pay the price on this mistake.
    thanks again,
    slotcarz

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Sadly, OEM copies are generally tied to the system they are first activated
    > on and cannot be moved to a new one. While this is not universal, that is
    > the way it is most of the time. This restriction is one of the reasons why
    > they are cheaper than retail versions. A new cpu and motherboard is
    > essentially a new system, and you will likely not be able to activate it.
    > This is really a case of "you get what you pay for".
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a piece
    > > of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction. I am
    > > building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using My old HDD,
    > > both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I stand on
    > > re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as my hardware with
    > > this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of Jan/05
    > > due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this feeling
    > > am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything that
    > > can
    > > be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get my 2
    > > free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that also.
    > > thanks for your time
    > >
    > > slotcarz

    It may not be a mistake, but there might have been a better choice. I would
    rather have a regualr OEM cd than just a reinstall cd. I prefer the retail
    versions of Windows simply because I do frequenly use PSS. It has been
    worth it me so far.

    > Thanks for replying so fast. I can now say I really know the difference
    > between OEM and retail. That is one thing that is not stressed at ebay on
    > these auctions and that should be changed.
    > I unfortunatly will have to pay the price on this mistake.
    > thanks again,
    > slotcarz
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Sadly, OEM copies are generally tied to the system they are first
    >> activated
    >> on and cannot be moved to a new one. While this is not universal, that is
    >> the way it is most of the time. This restriction is one of the reasons
    >> why
    >> they are cheaper than retail versions. A new cpu and motherboard is
    >> essentially a new system, and you will likely not be able to activate it.
    >> This is really a case of "you get what you pay for".
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a
    >> >piece
    >> > of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction. I am
    >> > building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using My old
    >> > HDD,
    >> > both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I stand on
    >> > re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as my hardware
    >> > with
    >> > this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of
    >> > Jan/05
    >> > due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this
    >> > feeling
    >> > am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything
    >> > that
    >> > can
    >> > be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get
    >> > my 2
    >> > free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that
    >> > also.
    >> > thanks for your time
    >> >
    >> > slotcarz

    Yes my current pc is a compaq that only had a reinstall disk. I bought the
    OEM version and formatted with only xp instead of all that mumbojumbo from
    Compaq. I have changed dvd drives, new ram, video card and never had a
    problem. I would hope that Microsoft would accept a new activation on an OS
    that you have registered with them. Being that the PC is a constant upgrade
    year after year or month after month and most people can't always afford $200
    if they already own a licence and the old pc goes via the way of the junk
    pile.
    thanks all for your imput!

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > It may not be a mistake, but there might have been a better choice. I would
    > rather have a regualr OEM cd than just a reinstall cd. I prefer the retail
    > versions of Windows simply because I do frequenly use PSS. It has been
    > worth it me so far.

    > "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for replying so fast. I can now say I really know the difference
    > > between OEM and retail. That is one thing that is not stressed at ebay on
    > > these auctions and that should be changed.
    > > I unfortunatly will have to pay the price on this mistake.
    > > thanks again,
    > > slotcarz
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Sadly, OEM copies are generally tied to the system they are first
    > >> activated
    > >> on and cannot be moved to a new one. While this is not universal, that is
    > >> the way it is most of the time. This restriction is one of the reasons
    > >> why
    > >> they are cheaper than retail versions. A new cpu and motherboard is
    > >> essentially a new system, and you will likely not be able to activate it.
    > >> This is really a case of "you get what you pay for".
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Just a note. The user registers himself as an owner of an OS and it isn't
    necessary to register four times if you own four copies of the same OS.
    Activation ties a copy of the OS to a machine and it is necessary to
    activate four times if you have installed each of four copies on each of
    four machines. Just some semantics.

    > Yes my current pc is a compaq that only had a reinstall disk. I bought the
    > OEM version and formatted with only xp instead of all that mumbojumbo from
    > Compaq. I have changed dvd drives, new ram, video card and never had a
    > problem. I would hope that Microsoft would accept a new activation on an
    > OS
    > that you have registered with them. Being that the PC is a constant
    > upgrade
    > year after year or month after month and most people can't always afford
    > $200
    > if they already own a licence and the old pc goes via the way of the junk
    > pile.
    > thanks all for your imput!
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> It may not be a mistake, but there might have been a better choice. I
    >> would
    >> rather have a regualr OEM cd than just a reinstall cd. I prefer the
    >> retail
    >> versions of Windows simply because I do frequenly use PSS. It has been
    >> worth it me so far.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for replying so fast. I can now say I really know the difference
    >> > between OEM and retail. That is one thing that is not stressed at ebay
    >> > on
    >> > these auctions and that should be changed.
    >> > I unfortunatly will have to pay the price on this mistake.
    >> > thanks again,
    >> > slotcarz

    Frankly, I'd try it first before spending the money on another copy. You
    have nothing to lose by doing so.

    --

    In news:B494F79E-01C9-4160-9E0D-E3BCB9C96A4C@microsoft.com,
    slotcarz <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a
    > piece of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the
    > transaction. I am building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and
    > ram, using My old HDD, both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell
    > me where I stand on re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom
    > cable as my hardware with this purchase. I had to re-format and
    > install XP Home at the end of Jan/05 due to a problem and activation
    > went thru no problem. I have this feeling I am screwed and have to
    > buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything that can be done to not
    > have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get my 2 free
    > requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that also.
    > thanks for your time
    >
    > slotcarz

    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    Move XP to new hardware.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    > Um .. Wow Bruce!
    > I am going balls to wall (sorta I guess),
    > - P4 HT 3 Ghz Prescott cpu, (need a new board for it)
    > - ASRock P4V88 RAID VIA PT880 Chipset Motherboard ( cheaper but I'm sure
    > it
    > will work ok)(so new memory)
    > - 512 mb DDR333 ram
    > - new case to accomodate the new mix and heat off this bad boy..
    > so yes I have bought a new case..
    >
    > Using from old pc
    > - 40 GB HDD
    > - DVD rom
    > - DVD/RW
    > - floppy drive
    > - radeon 9200 video card
    > - sound blaster card
    >
    > I can see that the OS locks itself but like said above, I got a piece of
    > wire for my "hardware requirement". Maybe the seller is at fault on that
    > one
    > but I'm sure it wasn't enforced like it should be or pull it all off of
    > ebay
    > and not let it be sold as it probably was sold with a pc at some point
    > before
    > it got to ebay.
    > oh well..live and learn right??
    > cya

    The hardware requirement for selling the software is completely unrelated to
    what the software is tied to for activation.

    I have used my XP Pro OEM down through three MB's and CPUS's.
    They activated over the net. Period. You may have to call since it
    lhas
    been such a short time. 120 days since installs prevents any problems.
    Incidently it is illegal for any of these people to give legal advice
    without
    passing the bar. The EULA is a very vague _contract_ which would be
    covered by an attorney specializing in contract law, _Not an MVP.

    slotcarz wrote:
    | Thanks for replying so fast. I can now say I really know the
    | difference between OEM and retail. That is one thing that is not
    | stressed at ebay on these auctions and that should be changed.
    | I unfortunatly will have to pay the price on this mistake.
    | thanks again,
    | slotcarz
    |
    | "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    |
    || Hi,
    || Sadly, OEM copies are generally tied to the system they are first
    || activated on and cannot be moved to a new one. While this is not
    || universal, that is the way it is most of the time. This restriction
    || is one of the reasons why they are cheaper than retail versions. A
    || new cpu and motherboard is essentially a new system, and you will
    || likely not be able to activate it. This is really a case of "you get
    || what you pay for".

    There are two types of OEM activation schemes. One is called System Locked
    activation and is tied to the BIOS. This type of OEM cd's have the BIOS
    code and do not generate an activation hardware hash. These systems never
    activate over the internet because they are already activated by the
    manufacturer by virtue of the BIOS code. A replacement of the same model
    motherboard with an identical BIOS is a match with the BIOS code on the cd
    and the system remains activated. You could change everything else on the
    computer and it would not matter. No activation is required. If the BIOS
    does not match, however, a call to the activation center is required.

    Your OEM cd is of the other type. Activation does rely on the same hardware
    hash scheme retail products do. These are the cd's that sell on eBay.

    "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
    >I have used my XP Pro OEM down through three MB's and CPUS's.
    > They activated over the net. Period. You may have to call since it
    > lhas
    > been such a short time. 120 days since installs prevents any problems.
    > Incidently it is illegal for any of these people to give legal advice
    > without
    > passing the bar. The EULA is a very vague _contract_ which would be
    > covered by an attorney specializing in contract law, _Not an MVP.
    >
    > slotcarz wrote:
    > | Thanks for replying so fast. I can now say I really know the
    > | difference between OEM and retail. That is one thing that is not
    > | stressed at ebay on these auctions and that should be changed.
    > | I unfortunatly will have to pay the price on this mistake.
    > | thanks again,
    > | slotcarz
    > |
    > | "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > |
    > || Hi,
    > || Sadly, OEM copies are generally tied to the system they are first
    > || activated on and cannot be moved to a new one. While this is not
    > || universal, that is the way it is most of the time. This restriction
    > || is one of the reasons why they are cheaper than retail versions. A
    > || new cpu and motherboard is essentially a new system, and you will
    > || likely not be able to activate it. This is really a case of "you get
    > || what you pay for".

    I have heard that some people sell OEM versions with hardware like a cable
    or a mouse.... so what motherboard you have is irrelevent

    > The license for an OEM version of Windows XP is tied forever to
    > the first computer it was installed and activated on. If you make a
    > major hardware change, such as installing an entirely different
    > motherboard,
    > the license is no longer valid. That is one reason OEM versions cost
    > less...
    > no support directly from Microsoft.
    >
    > A "retail version" of Windows XP is what you need if future
    > hardware upgrades are anticipated.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "slotcarz" wrote:
    >
    > | I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a
    > piece
    > | of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction. I am
    > | building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using My old
    > HDD,
    > | both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I stand on
    > | re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as my hardware
    > with
    > | this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of
    > Jan/05
    > | due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this
    > feeling I
    > | am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything
    > that can
    > | be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get my
    > 2
    > | free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that also.
    > | thanks for your time
    > |
    > | slotcarz

    It may be irrelevant to the sale but it is very relevant to the license if
    sufficient hardware is changed.

    "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have heard that some people sell OEM versions with hardware like a cable
    >or a mouse.... so what motherboard you have is irrelevent

    >> The license for an OEM version of Windows XP is tied forever to
    >> the first computer it was installed and activated on. If you make a
    >> major hardware change, such as installing an entirely different
    >> motherboard,
    >> the license is no longer valid. That is one reason OEM versions cost
    >> less...
    >> no support directly from Microsoft.
    >>
    >> A "retail version" of Windows XP is what you need if future
    >> hardware upgrades are anticipated.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>
    >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    >> "slotcarz" wrote:
    >>
    >> | I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a
    >> piece
    >> | of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction. I am
    >> | building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using My old
    >> HDD,
    >> | both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I stand on
    >> | re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as my hardware
    >> with
    >> | this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of
    >> Jan/05
    >> | due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this
    >> feeling I
    >> | am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything
    >> that can
    >> | be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get
    >> my 2
    >> | free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that
    >> also.
    >> | thanks for your time
    >> |
    >> | slotcarz

    My original post is entirely relevant to your issue.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Kenny S" wrote:

    |I have heard that some people sell OEM versions with hardware like a cable
    | or a mouse.... so what motherboard you have is irrelevent
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Kenny, you just don't understand . . .

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I disagree with rogers... they are not always tied to a "system" rather to
    a specific hardware.

    "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for replying so fast. I can now say I really know the difference
    > between OEM and retail. That is one thing that is not stressed at ebay on
    > these auctions and that should be changed.
    > I unfortunatly will have to pay the price on this mistake.
    > thanks again,
    > slotcarz
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Sadly, OEM copies are generally tied to the system they are first
    >> activated
    >> on and cannot be moved to a new one. While this is not universal, that is
    >> the way it is most of the time. This restriction is one of the reasons
    >> why
    >> they are cheaper than retail versions. A new cpu and motherboard is
    >> essentially a new system, and you will likely not be able to activate it.
    >> This is really a case of "you get what you pay for".
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a
    >> >piece
    >> > of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction. I am
    >> > building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using My old
    >> > HDD,
    >> > both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I stand on
    >> > re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as my hardware
    >> > with
    >> > this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of
    >> > Jan/05
    >> > due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this
    >> > feeling
    >> > am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything
    >> > that
    >> > can
    >> > be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get
    >> > my 2
    >> > free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that
    >> > also.
    >> > thanks for your time
    >> >
    >> > slotcarz

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    They have to be sold with a piece of hardware, but activation is tied to a
    system.

    --

    >I disagree with rogers... they are not always tied to a "system" rather to
    > a specific hardware.
    >

    > "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for replying so fast. I can now say I really know the difference
    >> between OEM and retail. That is one thing that is not stressed at ebay on
    >> these auctions and that should be changed.
    >> I unfortunatly will have to pay the price on this mistake.
    >> thanks again,
    >> slotcarz
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Sadly, OEM copies are generally tied to the system they are first
    >>> activated
    >>> on and cannot be moved to a new one. While this is not universal, that
    >>> is
    >>> the way it is most of the time. This restriction is one of the reasons
    >>> why
    >>> they are cheaper than retail versions. A new cpu and motherboard is
    >>> essentially a new system, and you will likely not be able to activate
    >>> it.
    >>> This is really a case of "you get what you pay for".
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Kenny S wrote:
    > I disagree with rogers... they are not always tied to a "system" rather to
    > a specific hardware.

    Wrong. Read an OEM EULA, why don't you?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    How are you going to tie activation to a power cord or a non-functioning
    memory stick?

    > They have to be sold with a piece of hardware, but activation is tied to a
    > system.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I disagree with rogers... they are not always tied to a "system" rather to
    >> a specific hardware.
    >>

    >> "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks for replying so fast. I can now say I really know the difference
    >>> between OEM and retail. That is one thing that is not stressed at ebay
    >>> on
    >>> these auctions and that should be changed.
    >>> I unfortunatly will have to pay the price on this mistake.
    >>> thanks again,
    >>> slotcarz

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    A DVD rom cable doesn't count.

    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1266C18-E49C-4CD6-85A9-64BBE0639CBD@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for replying so fast. I can now say I really know the difference
    > between OEM and retail. That is one thing that is not stressed at ebay on
    > these auctions and that should be changed.
    > I unfortunatly will have to pay the price on this mistake.
    > thanks again,
    > slotcarz
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Sadly, OEM copies are generally tied to the system they are first activated
    >> on and cannot be moved to a new one. While this is not universal, that is
    >> the way it is most of the time. This restriction is one of the reasons why
    >> they are cheaper than retail versions. A new cpu and motherboard is
    >> essentially a new system, and you will likely not be able to activate it.
    >> This is really a case of "you get what you pay for".
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a piece
    >> > of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction. I am
    >> > building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using My old HDD,
    >> > both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I stand on
    >> > re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as my hardware with
    >> > this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of Jan/05
    >> > due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this feeling
    >> > am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything that
    >> > can
    >> > be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get my 2
    >> > free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that also.
    >> > thanks for your time
    >> >
    >> > slotcarz

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    The OEM did not have a license to sell the OEM version of XP. Therefore they cannot license you as they don't have one. You cannot sell OEM with peripherals. Therefore you were ripped off.

    "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message news:eMMjnX5HFHA.2740@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    >
    > Microsoft has, to date, been very careful _not_ publicly to define
    > when an incrementally upgraded computer ceases to be the original
    > computer. The closest I've ever seen a Microsoft employee come to this
    > definition (in a public forum) is to tell the person making the inquiry
    > to consult the PC's manufacturer. As the OEM license's support is
    > solely the responsibility of said manufacturer, they should determine
    > what sort of hardware changes to allow before the warranty and support
    > agreements are voided. To paraphrase: An incrementally upgraded
    > computer ceases to be the original computer, as pertains to the OEM
    > EULA, only when the *OEM* says it's a different computer. If you've
    > built the system yourself, and used a generic OEM CD, then _you_ are the
    > "OEM," and _you_ get to decide when you'll no longer support your product."

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks to all who posted. I have purchased a new retail version and won't
    have to worry about it any longer.
    Now I just have to get all my hardware and putt his thing together.. My cost
    building my own is more than half less if I would have bought an OOB pc..
    thanks again
    slotcarz

    "slotcarz" wrote:

    > I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a piece
    > of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction. I am
    > building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using My old HDD,
    > both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I stand on
    > re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as my hardware with
    > this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of Jan/05
    > due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this feeling I
    > am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything that can
    > be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get my 2
    > free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that also.
    > thanks for your time
    >
    > slotcarz
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I think you made the right decision. It is telling that all the questions
    in the newsgroup are about OEM cd's. No one has to ask about retail
    editions. They just work.

    > Thanks to all who posted. I have purchased a new retail version and won't
    > have to worry about it any longer.
    > Now I just have to get all my hardware and putt his thing together.. My
    > cost
    > building my own is more than half less if I would have bought an OOB pc..
    > thanks again
    > slotcarz
    >
    > "slotcarz" wrote:
    >
    >> I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a
    >> piece
    >> of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction. I am
    >> building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using My old HDD,
    >> both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I stand on
    >> re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as my hardware
    >> with
    >> this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of
    >> Jan/05
    >> due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this feeling
    >> am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything that
    >> can
    >> be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get my
    >> 2
    >> free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that also.
    >> thanks for your time
    >>
    >> slotcarz
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    My OEM disks all the way back to WIN95 throught XPH and
    XPP just work.

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    | I think you made the right decision. It is telling that all the
    | questions in the newsgroup are about OEM cd's. No one has to ask
    | about retail editions. They just work.
    |
    || Thanks to all who posted. I have purchased a new retail version and
    || won't have to worry about it any longer.
    || Now I just have to get all my hardware and putt his thing together..
    || My cost
    || building my own is more than half less if I would have bought an OOB
    || pc.. thanks again
    || slotcarz
    || "slotcarz" wrote:
    ||| I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received
    ||| a piece
    ||| of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction.
    ||| I am building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using
    ||| My old HDD, both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I
    ||| stand on re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as
    ||| my hardware with
    ||| this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of
    ||| Jan/05
    ||| due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this
    ||| feeling I
    ||| am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not
    ||| anything that can
    ||| be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to
    ||| get my 2
    ||| free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that
    ||| also. thanks for your time
    ||| slotcarz
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Rule 1. Specify your own computer. A cheap computer might be $800. You specify better parts and a GOOD computer may be $850.
    Rule 2. Get retail or genuine MS OEM disks (eg not Compaq OEM disks) depending on your likely future use..

    "slotcarz" <slotcarz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:355BA2D9-9F73-4B32-B067-BB57F844E94B@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks to all who posted. I have purchased a new retail version and won't
    > have to worry about it any longer.
    > Now I just have to get all my hardware and putt his thing together.. My cost
    > building my own is more than half less if I would have bought an OOB pc..
    > thanks again
    > slotcarz
    >
    > "slotcarz" wrote:
    >
    >> I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a piece
    >> of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction. I am
    >> building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using My old HDD,
    >> both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I stand on
    >> re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as my hardware with
    >> this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of Jan/05
    >> due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this feeling I
    >> am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything that can
    >> be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get my 2
    >> free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that also.
    >> thanks for your time
    >>
    >> slotcarz
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    A real OEM disk is virtually identical to a retail disk (it just won;t upgrade). But most companies make their own OEM disks. And anything goes. Some are just ghosted images.

    "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message news:uoLihrLIFHA.3776@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

    > My OEM disks all the way back to WIN95 throught XPH and
    > XPP just work.
    >
    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > | I think you made the right decision. It is telling that all the
    > | questions in the newsgroup are about OEM cd's. No one has to ask
    > | about retail editions. They just work.
    > |
    > || Thanks to all who posted. I have purchased a new retail version and
    > || won't have to worry about it any longer.
    > || Now I just have to get all my hardware and putt his thing together..
    > || My cost
    > || building my own is more than half less if I would have bought an OOB
    > || pc.. thanks again
    > || slotcarz

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    _usually worse_

    David Candy wrote:
    | A real OEM disk is virtually identical to a retail disk (it just
    | won;t upgrade). But most companies make their own OEM disks. And
    | anything goes. Some are just ghosted images.

    || My OEM disks all the way back to WIN95 throught XPH and
    || XPP just work.
    || Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    ||| I think you made the right decision. It is telling that all the
    ||| questions in the newsgroup are about OEM cd's. No one has to ask
    ||| about retail editions. They just work.
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    No, any mid-sized or small dealer who puts a box together for a customer
    will give the customer a Microsoft hologrammed OEM cd. It will be silver,
    hologrammed with Windows, and say "for installation on a new computer only."
    These are the cd's folks buy at the local computer store (not the chain
    outlets) or buy off of eBay with a piece of non-functional hardware. It is
    much rarer to see the branded OEM cd's on eBay, but some do show up. The
    large vendors are the ones who brand the OEM cd's and these are the ones
    that have the OOBE changes to suite the vendor.

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    A real OEM disk is virtually identical to a retail disk (it just won;t
    upgrade). But most companies make their own OEM disks. And anything goes.
    Some are just ghosted images.

    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

    > My OEM disks all the way back to WIN95 throught XPH and
    > XPP just work.
    >
    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > | I think you made the right decision. It is telling that all the
    > | questions in the newsgroup are about OEM cd's. No one has to ask
    > | about retail editions. They just work.
    > |
    > || Thanks to all who posted. I have purchased a new retail version and
    > || won't have to worry about it any longer.
    > || Now I just have to get all my hardware and putt his thing together..
    > || My cost
    > || building my own is more than half less if I would have bought an OOB
    > || pc.. thanks again
    > || slotcarz

Microsoft Windows XP