Virus?!

Hi,
When I boot up my pc I have lots of system processes
already running, including about three copies of
svchost.exe. I assume I have a virus, as I cannot end
these processes as I get the 'access denied' error
message. I have tried every anti-virus and anti-spyware
programmes under the sun, but I still don't have control
over my own computer! I can't even format c and reinstall
Windows as it says 'volume in use with another process'.
Can someone please help me get this off my computer? All I
want to do is pack in and start afresh!
Ian
2 answers Last reply
More about virus

    Hi Ian,

    This number of instances of svchost.exe is normal. Assuming you have updated
    patches, a firewall, and an updated antivirus program, you're probably
    secure.

    Hope this helps!

    Sincerely,
    Benjamin "Trafton" Johnstone-Anderson
    Microsoft MVP, Windows Security
    Security Manifest: www.msmvps.com/trafton/

    "Ian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > When I boot up my pc I have lots of system processes
    > already running, including about three copies of
    > svchost.exe. I assume I have a virus, as I cannot end
    > these processes as I get the 'access denied' error
    > message. I have tried every anti-virus and anti-spyware
    > programmes under the sun, but I still don't have control
    > over my own computer! I can't even format c and reinstall
    > Windows as it says 'volume in use with another process'.
    > Can someone please help me get this off my computer? All I
    > want to do is pack in and start afresh!
    > Ian

    Multiple copies of svchost is normal. I suggest that you download some free
    tools from SysInternals such as TCPView, Process Explorer, and Autoruns.
    Process Explorer will allow you to view processes in much more depth and for
    each instance of svchost you can examine the properties to see the
    associates services. Autoruns will identify startup processes in numerous
    places and give you the ability to disable them if need be. Trend Micro has
    a nice and free tool to detect and remove many common malwares. See the
    links below and down load Sysclean and the pattern file to the same
    directory to run. In the worst case you can always boot from the install
    cdrom to reinstall your operating system realizing that a format will
    destroy your data that is on the partition you format. Also try booting into
    safe mode to make repairs. -- Steve

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx -- necessary
    steps to protect your computer.

    "Ian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > When I boot up my pc I have lots of system processes
    > already running, including about three copies of
    > svchost.exe. I assume I have a virus, as I cannot end
    > these processes as I get the 'access denied' error
    > message. I have tried every anti-virus and anti-spyware
    > programmes under the sun, but I still don't have control
    > over my own computer! I can't even format c and reinstall
    > Windows as it says 'volume in use with another process'.
    > Can someone please help me get this off my computer? All I
    > want to do is pack in and start afresh!
    > Ian

Virus Windows