Watering berries: how much is enough?

I've heard that some berries have to be watered more than others in
Ruby and Sapphire in order to assure a good yield. I've also heard
that you don't have to water them every hour or anything, as long as
you get the right total number of waterings into the soil. With this
in mind, has anyone prepared a list of how many times you should
water each berry when you plant it to be sure of the best results?
If not, how difficult would it be to compile such a list?

"Fred M. Sloniker" <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote in message
> I've heard that some berries have to be watered more than others in
> Ruby and Sapphire in order to assure a good yield. I've also heard
> that you don't have to water them every hour or anything, as long as
> you get the right total number of waterings into the soil. With this
> in mind, has anyone prepared a list of how many times you should
> water each berry when you plant it to be sure of the best results?
> If not, how difficult would it be to compile such a list?

I have wondered about this myself. As well as questions like: does it matter
if you only water a seed, or does it help to water throughout it's growing
cycle? Does it take more water if you only water at one growing stage? How
much water does each seed need?

I had worked out how this could be studied, but I didn't write it down, for
the same reason that I won't be doing the research. I have not enough time,
and a bad memory. I really hate it when I am growing some long (3 day)
growing plant, and then only get 1 berry.

Are there max 2 berry plants that don't take soo long? I can't remember
right now, and I am not looking it up. I did at one time have a site that
told how long each berry took to grow, the max berries it produced, but it
didn't have the water requirements.

I think you would need to start just growing one kind of berry (I would pick
one that only bears two berries at first cause they take longer, like Lum).
Start by watering the seed at planting time (say 20 times) and harvest the
berry, and then increase how much water you give until you get two berries.

Then you could try the same seed, don't water at planting time, but come
back and see if the same amount of water given at sprout stage will get you
2 berries; then try again at the growing taller stage, then the flower
stage.

Then you try a different berry, doing the same thing. And taking notes all
the while so you could post here and maybe make your own web page. Another
reason I won't be doing the research, I can't make a web page. I also have
trouble with the short growing berries, I never remember to water them
enough.

daramark

daramark wrote:

> I had worked out how this could be studied, but I didn't write it
> down, for the same reason that I won't be doing the research. I
> have not enough time, and a bad memory. I really hate it when I am
> growing some long (3 day) growing plant, and then only get 1 berry.

Well, I'm willing to give some research a try, if no one else has. Is
there any sort of garden for berry-growing, or am I going to have to
keep track of all these 3- and 4-wide patches?

Fred M. Sloniker wrote:

> Well, I'm willing to give some research a try, if no one else has. Is
> there any sort of garden for berry-growing, or am I going to have to
> keep track of all these 3- and 4-wide patches?

Find the Berry Master's house (east of Mauville, cross the water and
keep heading east). There are six patches for two berries each. It's
where I do my growing, mostly.

I've never kept track, but I water often and sometimes I get 5 or 6
berries on the less rare ones. The pamtre berry, I've read, only yields
one if you don't water it, but usually I get two because I water it
probably every few hours (not counting the stretch of time I'm asleep).
It's been a week or more since I've played though, so I don't know
what's going on right now with them. I'll have to check them soon.

John Salerno wrote:

> Find the Berry Master's house (east of Mauville, cross the water and
> keep heading east). There are six patches for two berries each. It's
> where I do my growing, mostly.

Thanks. I can now say, after some experimentation with the
fast-growing berries, that pre-watering just doesn't work. A plant
watered 100 times consecutively when planted yielded only four
berries, while plants watered only four times-- once at each stage of
growth-- gave me the full six each. Now I intend to extend this
research to berries with longer growing seasons; would it be enough,
for instance, to water a Salac berry every 24 hours? I'll have to
find out.

I'm also surprised to find there's no FAQ that actually tells you what
pokeblocks you get when you grind various berries at various places.
Sure, finding out what colors you're going to get is easy, but a lot
of the colors have multiple 'recipes', and it's the recipe you REALLY
care about. If someone knows of such a FAQ, point me its way; I'm
compiling my own, but it's limited by the berries I've been able to
acquire.

"daramark" <mark.bull@CANsympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<CzJfc.25607$2Z6.1088315@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> "Fred M. Sloniker" <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote in message
> > I've heard that some berries have to be watered more than others in
> > Ruby and Sapphire in order to assure a good yield. I've also heard
> > that you don't have to water them every hour or anything, as long as
> > you get the right total number of waterings into the soil. With this
> > in mind, has anyone prepared a list of how many times you should
> > water each berry when you plant it to be sure of the best results?
> > If not, how difficult would it be to compile such a list?
>

> I have wondered about this myself. As well as questions like: does it matter
> if you only water a seed, or does it help to water throughout it's growing
> cycle? Does it take more water if you only water at one growing stage? How
> much water does each seed need?

Here's what I noticed when I was berry farming:

When I first started planting berries, I would water twice in a row
immediately after planing them, and once a day, twice in a row, every
day after. This always resulted in two berries from the rare plants
like Liechi and Belue--provided I remembered to water every day.
Unfortunately, I usually didn't get around to doing that.

I found that if I watered once a day, three times in a row instead of
two, I could miss a day of watering and still get my two berries. If
I only watered one time, once a day, even if I remembered to water
every single day, I only had a 50-50 chance of getting my two berries.

If I missed several days of watering, and tried to make up for it on
the last day of the growth cycle (when the flowers were blooming
"cutely" or "very beautifully") I had a 50-50 chance of getting my two
berries. If I didn't make that final effort, I would only get one
berry.

--Beth

Fred M. Sloniker wrote:

> I'm also surprised to find there's no FAQ that actually tells you what
> pokeblocks you get when you grind various berries at various places.

There is an FAQ at http://www.gamefaqs.com that tells you what you will
get, but I find it to be wrong a lot of the time. Probably like you
said, it tells you the color you'll get, and it even says what
conditions that particular color will improve, but even when I do get
that color, it usually works on different conditions than the FAQ says.

I've also read in another FAQ that watering every hour is good, but I
don't know if that was really researched, or just suggested.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

What I've heard and it seems to work well enough for me is you need to water at
least once per stage to guarantee maximum yield. I.E., when planted, when
sprouted, when growing taller and when flowering. One of the better online
references for berries is over at serebii.net:
http://www.serebii.net/pokemon_advance/berrydex/

"Bandraptor" <bandraptor@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "daramark" <mark.bull@CANsympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > "Fred M. Sloniker" <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote in message
> > > I've heard that some berries have to be watered more than others in
> > > Ruby and Sapphire in order to assure a good yield. I've also heard
> > > that you don't have to water them every hour or anything, as long as
> > > you get the right total number of waterings into the soil. With this
> > > in mind, has anyone prepared a list of how many times you should
> > > water each berry when you plant it to be sure of the best results?
> > > If not, how difficult would it be to compile such a list?
> >

> > I have wondered about this myself. As well as questions like: does it
matter
> > if you only water a seed, or does it help to water throughout it's
growing
> > cycle? Does it take more water if you only water at one growing stage?
How
> > much water does each seed need?
>

> Here's what I noticed when I was berry farming:
>
> When I first started planting berries, I would water twice in a row
> immediately after planing them, and once a day, twice in a row, every
> day after. This always resulted in two berries from the rare plants
> like Liechi and Belue--provided I remembered to water every day.
> Unfortunately, I usually didn't get around to doing that.
>
> I found that if I watered once a day, three times in a row instead of
> two, I could miss a day of watering and still get my two berries. If
> I only watered one time, once a day, even if I remembered to water
> every single day, I only had a 50-50 chance of getting my two berries.
>
> If I missed several days of watering, and tried to make up for it on
> the last day of the growth cycle (when the flowers were blooming
> "cutely" or "very beautifully") I had a 50-50 chance of getting my two
> berries. If I didn't make that final effort, I would only get one
> berry.

Thanks to everyone. It still bugs me though.

daramark

John Salerno wrote:

> There is an FAQ at http://www.gamefaqs.com that tells you what you
> will get, but I find it to be wrong a lot of the time. Probably like
> you said, it tells you the color you'll get, and it even says what
> conditions that particular color will improve, but even when I do
> get that color, it usually works on different conditions than the
> FAQ says.

(nods) It's actually a pretty simple pattern; based on my own
experimentation, on bits and pieces of data from other FAQs, and on
anticipating the trends, I've completed a chart for the first 40
berries. If anyone out there has berries numbered past 40 (Starf and
Lansat, for instance), let me know! With just a few minutes of your
time, I can add entries for those berries to the chart.

By the way, the short version of the chart is: for the best results,
use berries in the 36-40 range, ground at Lilycove (giving you level
60 pokeblocks, on average, with a 34 feel). This chart shows you
what colors the blocks have, and thus which stats they raise:

R B P G Y
Liechi * * * R = Red = Cool
Ganlon * * * B = Blue = Beauty
Salac * * * P = Pink = Cute
Petaya * * * G = Green = Smart
Apicot * * * Y = Yellow = Tough

If you want, say, a cute pokemon, you can alternate Liechi and Apicot
blocks; four of each will fill your pokemon up and give him a 480
cuteness (at least in theory; where do stats cap?) and 240 in each of
his other stats. (This is before any modifiers for personality.)
With stats like that, your pokemon ought to crush the competition.

(BTW, anybody know how to get my hands on a Liechi berry? It's the
one of those five you CAN'T get from Colosseum.)

Next-best, if you don't have Colosseum or don't want to wait weeks and
weeks to grow and harvest berries, is, surprisingly, the fast-growing
21-25 group. Check this chart for the results of grinding at
Slateport (NOT Lilycove):

R B P G Y
Pomeg * * * R = Red = Cool
Kelpsy * * * B = Blue = Beauty
Qualot * * * P = Pink = Cute
Hondew * * * G = Green = Smart
Grepa * * * Y = Yellow = Tough

So if you want a cute pokemon, alternate feeding Pomegs and Grepas.
Each boosts the marked stats 23 for a cost of 20, so you can raise
your cuteness to 276 and the remainder of your stats to 138 for 240
feel points (six of each), which should be pretty decent.

Want to focus just on cuteness, and don't care about your other stats?
Group 36-40 is still the best (follow the regimen I already
described), but next best is group 31-35, giving level 50, feel 32
blocks at Lilycove. Here's the relevant chart:

R B P G Y
Spelon * * R = Red = Cool
Pamtre * * B = Blue = Beauty
Watmel * * P = Pink = Cute
Durin * * G = Green = Smart
Belue * * Y = Yellow = Tough

Using 8 Watmel or Belue blocks will give you a cuteness of 400, but
your beauty and smartness, secondary stats for a cuteness contest,
won't rise at all. You can also try grinding the 21-25 group at
Lilycove for the better feel, giving up the third stat boost; seven
each of Qualot and Grepa blocks will give you a 322, but won't help
your beauty or smartness at all. Me, I'd use one of the two recipes
I started with.

If you have any input, let me know!

> "Bandraptor" <bandraptor@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "daramark" <mark.bull@CANsympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > "Fred M. Sloniker" <fizzit@pioneernet.net> wrote in message
> > >

> > > I have wondered about this myself. As well as questions like: does it
> matter
> > > if you only water a seed, or does it help to water throughout it's
> growing
> > > cycle? Does it take more water if you only water at one growing
stage?
> How
> > > much water does each seed need?
> >

> > Here's what I noticed when I was berry farming:
> >
> > When I first started planting berries, I would water twice in a row
> > immediately after planing them, and once a day, twice in a row, every
> > day after. This always resulted in two berries from the rare plants
> > like Liechi and Belue--provided I remembered to water every day.
> > Unfortunately, I usually didn't get around to doing that.
> >
> > I found that if I watered once a day, three times in a row instead of
> > two, I could miss a day of watering and still get my two berries. If
> > I only watered one time, once a day, even if I remembered to water
> > every single day, I only had a 50-50 chance of getting my two berries.
> >
> > If I missed several days of watering, and tried to make up for it on
> > the last day of the growth cycle (when the flowers were blooming
> > "cutely" or "very beautifully") I had a 50-50 chance of getting my two
> > berries. If I didn't make that final effort, I would only get one
> > berry.
>

> Thanks to everyone. It still bugs me though.

So I have now tried this, with nice results, and I think it would drive me
crazy to have to do this for the short growing berries. The longer ones are
ok, as I can find time to get there and water them. But I missed a stage of
the Orans that I tried this with, and then watered the flowering trees 4
times and got 3 berries off of them, so it wasn't so bad. I didn't miss a
stage of the Sitrus and got 3 berries off each tree just for watering 2
times each at planting, sprout, growing taller and flowering stages.

Boy, this might work much more reliably, and ultimately be quicker, but I
still don't think that I could manage to get there to water the really short
growing berries in each stage. I would need to find out how many hours each
berry spends in each stage, and then set an alarm clock to get there. lol

I think I came across a web page that told how long each berry stayed in
each stage, but I don't think I bookmarked it (would you believe that I was
looking for something else a the time? (I think it ranks down there with
"the dog ate my homework" for an excuse)).

daramark