help please with Win xp - major challange

I recently re-installed Windows XP home and need to set my computer so
that it looks at my previous Documents and Settings folder. The
re-install created a new Documents and Settings folder which Windows is
using, and my old folder IS still there. I tried copying and pasting
the contents of the old folder to the new one, but that did not work.
Please help me!! Is there a file (i.e. win.ini) or a registry setting
I can do so Windows will use and utilize my previouse Documents and
Settings folder?

Thanks!!

Eddie G
3 answers Last reply
More about help major challange

    you have posted this in at least three groups...don't do that. it makes it
    a pain in the ass for those who do answer, spend their time looking for
    possible solutions, only to find that it has been answered in three or more
    places.

    On 2 Mar 2005 16:35:58 -0800, mickeddie@comcast.net wrote:

    > I recently re-installed Windows XP home and need to set my computer so
    > that it looks at my previous Documents and Settings folder. The
    > re-install created a new Documents and Settings folder which Windows is
    > using, and my old folder IS still there. I tried copying and pasting
    > the contents of the old folder to the new one, but that did not work.
    > Please help me!! Is there a file (i.e. win.ini) or a registry setting
    > I can do so Windows will use and utilize my previouse Documents and
    > Settings folder?

    Why didn't copy/paste work when moving the files to the new folder?

    If you got "access denied" messages, take a look at the following article:
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I recently re-installed Windows XP home and need to set my computer so
    > that it looks at my previous Documents and Settings folder. The
    > re-install created a new Documents and Settings folder which Windows is
    > using, and my old folder IS still there. I tried copying and pasting
    > the contents of the old folder to the new one, but that did not work.
    > Please help me!! Is there a file (i.e. win.ini) or a registry setting
    > I can do so Windows will use and utilize my previouse Documents and
    > Settings folder?
    Since the My Documents icon is really just a shortcut, all you need to do is
    change the target.
    Jim

Microsoft Windows XP