adjusting firewall in windows2000

I am getting a slow signal from my dsl provider and they
have advised me to turn down the firewall in my computer.
I am running a Dell with Windows2000. Can someone tell me
how to do this. Thank you.
3 answers Last reply
More about adjusting firewall windows2000

    Windows 2000 does not come with a firewall.
    With a DSL connection and Windows 2000, which does not have a firewall, you
    *should* have a third party app as a firewall. Check with company that makes
    your firewall.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am getting a slow signal from my dsl provider and they
    > have advised me to turn down the firewall in my computer.
    > I am running a Dell with Windows2000. Can someone tell me
    > how to do this. Thank you.

    I think they're giving you bad advice. The most typical problem with
    firewalls is that it blocks you entirely from doing something, not that it
    slows down the connection visibly. If your firewall *WAS* causing slow
    performance, "turning down the firewall" would not be the correct thing to
    recommend.

    If other things on your computer that do not use the Internet [MS Word,
    games, etc.] are slow, then you may need to do some computer tuning. When
    your computer is slow, press the CTRL-ALT-DELETE keys together to bring up
    Task Manager, and look to see what if any processes are using up a lot of
    free CPU time, and make sure there is sufficient "System Idle Process" CPU
    time. Click on CPU to sort the processes by which ones are using the most
    CPU time.

    Also, use the software below to look at what is configured to start

    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#startup

    Make sure you are not infected with a virus. Be sure you are running
    anti-virus software that is set to update itself automatically every week or
    so. www.grisoft.com and Bit Defender are two free anti-virus programs.
    Also, www.zonealarm.com, www.kerio.com and www.sygate.com are all free
    firewall programs, you should consider using one.

    Run Scandisk and Defrag.

    You could also consider running through these steps to see whether your
    computer has been hacked:

    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#hacked

    If you have another computer you can borrow that is not slow, plug that in
    and see whether DSL internet is slow on that computer. If it isn't, then you
    can suspect your computer needs some help. If it is, then you can suspect
    your DSL needs some help.

    Slow DSL can be caused by poor DSL / phone line quality, by the distance you
    are from the phone company CO, and by a DSL line misconfigured by the DSL
    company. They should be able to monitor your line and see if anything is
    wrong on the line.

    "george" wrote:

    > I am getting a slow signal from my dsl provider and they
    > have advised me to turn down the firewall in my computer.
    > I am running a Dell with Windows2000. Can someone tell me
    > how to do this. Thank you.

    They gave you bogus advice. Firewalls are for the most part either on or
    disabled. DSL connections are notorious for having problems with the MTU -
    maximum transmission unit setting. If it is too high, packet fragmentation
    can result and cause the connection to crawl. MTU configuration would be set
    either in the settings of your NAT/router device or in the pppoe connectoid
    on your computer. If you are using a pppoe connectoid I suggest you get a
    NAT/router device that will probably work a lot better and protect your
    computer from uninitiated inbound traffic. Best Buy and others sell these
    devices and there is one shown in the link below as an example. Call your
    ISP back and ask them about MTU settings. I think around 1450 is a good
    compromise. --- Steve

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=33-122-008&DEPA=5

    "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am getting a slow signal from my dsl provider and they
    > have advised me to turn down the firewall in my computer.
    > I am running a Dell with Windows2000. Can someone tell me
    > how to do this. Thank you.

Firewalls Windows 2000 Windows