Toshiba 43H70 Clicks Off, Power Light Blinks

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 22, 2004 4:52:33 PM

I have a Toshiba 43H70 (bought new in December 2000) rear projection 43"
HDTV unit that all the sudden does not turn on properly and displays no
picture.

SYMPTOMS:

1) Press power button "on"

2) Red power light comes on steady and you hear TV make the sound as if it
is warming up

3) After only about 1 to 2 seconds, you hear 3 clicks...the same sequence
you would normally hear upon turning it off (when it was working correctly)

4) After 3 or 4 more seconds you hear the built-in speakers click (on or
off, I can't tell)

5) Red power light then stays on steady, but after about 15 seconds it
starts to blink on and off slowly (approximately 2 seconds on and then 2
seconds off) until you unplug it. No sounds are heard upon unplugging it.

At no point is anything seen on the screen. Also, I have unplugged it
altogether for various lengths of time (48+ hours even) in hopes of
resetting a protector, with no luck (used to have to do this if the TV was
ever turned back on immediately after having been turned off; unplugging for
10-15 minutes would reset it).

QUESTIONS:

1) What is wrong with this TV?

2) What sort of part or parts need repair?

3) Is this something I can fix myself (I am skilled in computer repair, but
have never worked inside a TV)?

3) How much should a repair cost for both parts and labor (low and high end
of a price range). An authorized Toshiba repair center quoted me an average
repair cost of $630.

4) Would the replacement part(s) last any longer than the 3.5 years I got on
the original(s)?

5) If this were your TV, would you spend the money to repair?

6) If "no" on Question #4, how can I dispose of the thing in an
environmentally safe way? Does any group take donations of such broken
items?

Thanks for any advice you can pass on, large or small. :^)

-Jason
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 6:17:37 PM

"Jason in Decatur, GA" <sophos@NoSpAm_sophosoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Toshiba 43H70 (bought new in December 2000) rear projection 43"
> HDTV unit that all the sudden does not turn on properly and displays no
> picture.
>

> SYMPTOMS:
>
> 1) Press power button "on"
>
> 2) Red power light comes on steady and you hear TV make the sound as if it
> is warming up
>
> 3) After only about 1 to 2 seconds, you hear 3 clicks...the same sequence
> you would normally hear upon turning it off (when it was working
correctly)

> 4) After 3 or 4 more seconds you hear the built-in speakers click (on or
> off, I can't tell)
>
> 5) Red power light then stays on steady, but after about 15 seconds it
> starts to blink on and off slowly (approximately 2 seconds on and then 2
> seconds off) until you unplug it. No sounds are heard upon unplugging it.
>

> At no point is anything seen on the screen. Also, I have unplugged it
> altogether for various lengths of time (48+ hours even) in hopes of
> resetting a protector, with no luck (used to have to do this if the TV
was
> ever turned back on immediately after having been turned off; unplugging
for
> 10-15 minutes would reset it).
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1) What is wrong with this TV?
>
> 2) What sort of part or parts need repair?
>
> 3) Is this something I can fix myself (I am skilled in computer repair,
but
> have never worked inside a TV)?
>
> 3) How much should a repair cost for both parts and labor (low and high
end
> of a price range). An authorized Toshiba repair center quoted me an
average
> repair cost of $630.
>
> 4) Would the replacement part(s) last any longer than the 3.5 years I got
on
> the original(s)?
>
> 5) If this were your TV, would you spend the money to repair?
>
> 6) If "no" on Question #4, how can I dispose of the thing in an
> environmentally safe way? Does any group take donations of such broken
> items?

The TV is going into shutdown mode. There are lots of things that can cause
that. Toshiba has a troubleshooting
checklist to help servicecenters. There are some shortcuts but if you hear
HV come up before shutdown the most common
problem is a shorted Convergance amp or audio IC followed by vert out IC.

Repair cost in my shop for average shutdown problems is about $250 and I'm a
Toshiba service center. Toshiba is pretty easy to repair and parts cost are
very low for most problems.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 8:42:15 PM

"Jeff Rigby" <jeffg212@comcast.net> wrote in message

> [...]
got
> on
> > the original(s)?
> >
> > 5) If this were your TV, would you spend the money to repair?
> >
> > 6) If "no" on Question #4, how can I dispose of the thing in an
> > environmentally safe way? Does any group take donations of such broken
> > items?
> >
> The TV is going into shutdown mode. There are lots of things that can
cause
> that. Toshiba has a troubleshooting
> checklist to help servicecenters. There are some shortcuts but if you
hear
> HV come up before shutdown the most common
> problem is a shorted Convergance amp or audio IC followed by vert out IC.
>
> Repair cost in my shop for average shutdown problems is about $250 and I'm
> Toshiba service center. Toshiba is pretty easy to repair and parts cost

Just did one of these with a bad op-amp in the digital convergence unit
causing convergence output IC to fail and fuses to blow on its supply. Be
sure to deal with someone who knows the Toshibas. They are pretty easy to
fix, as Jeff said, but lots of less experienced shops will chase their tail
on them and just replace modules rather than solving the problem at the
component level.

Leonard
August 18, 2004 10:51:06 PM

Jeff and Leonard,

Cool...you two were right on the money on the ICs being the problem.

I had HH Gregg repair come out to replace the unit's 2 ICs ($236 total:
housecall, parts and labor) and 24 hours later it's still looking good.

I just hope I can get 2 more years out of this TV and I'll be happy.

Thanks again!

-Jason

"Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo_ns_@devoynet.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>> checklist to help servicecenters. There are some shortcuts but if you
> hear
>> HV come up before shutdown the most common
>> problem is a shorted Convergance amp or audio IC followed by vert out IC.
>>
>> Repair cost in my shop for average shutdown problems is about $250 and
>> I'm
>> Toshiba service center. Toshiba is pretty easy to repair and parts cost
> are
>> very low for most problems.
>
> Just did one of these with a bad op-amp in the digital convergence unit
> causing convergence output IC to fail and fuses to blow on its supply. Be
> sure to deal with someone who knows the Toshibas. They are pretty easy to
> fix, as Jeff said, but lots of less experienced shops will chase their
> tail
> on them and just replace modules rather than solving the problem at the

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 9:52:50 AM

Very common problem with many RPTV designs is the convergnece output devices
failing. Sounds like you got a fair deal from Greggs on the repair cost. BTW
MCM had a bad shipment recently of the STK392-110 devices, they tend to fail
witin two to three weeks and sometimes cause pehripheral damages. MCM did
issue a recall on the devices but do not pay for reservice costs.
"Jason P." <sophos@NoSpAm_sophosoft.com> wrote in message
> Jeff and Leonard,
>
> Cool...you two were right on the money on the ICs being the problem.
>
> I had HH Gregg repair come out to replace the unit's 2 ICs ($236 total:
> housecall, parts and labor) and 24 hours later it's still looking good.
>
> I just hope I can get 2 more years out of this TV and I'll be happy.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> -Jason
>

> "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo_ns_@devoynet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jeff Rigby" <jeffg212@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Jason in Decatur, GA" <sophos@NoSpAm_sophosoft.com> wrote in message

> > it

> > sequence
> >> correctly)

> > it.

TV
> >> was
> >> for

> >> but

> >> end
> >> average

> > got
> >> on

> >> The TV is going into shutdown mode. There are lots of things that can
> > cause
> >> that. Toshiba has a troubleshooting
> >> checklist to help servicecenters. There are some shortcuts but if you
> > hear
> >> HV come up before shutdown the most common
> >> problem is a shorted Convergance amp or audio IC followed by vert out
IC.

> >> Repair cost in my shop for average shutdown problems is about $250 and
> >> I'm
> >> Toshiba service center. Toshiba is pretty easy to repair and parts
cost
> > are
> >> very low for most problems.
> >
> > Just did one of these with a bad op-amp in the digital convergence unit
> > causing convergence output IC to fail and fuses to blow on its supply.
Be
> > sure to deal with someone who knows the Toshibas. They are pretty easy
> > fix, as Jeff said, but lots of less experienced shops will chase their
> > tail
> > on them and just replace modules rather than solving the problem at the
> > component level.
> >
> > Leonard

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:00:31 PM

You are quite welcome, Jason. The rate is within a few $ of what we charge.

Leonard

!