Computer turning on and off.

styxbb

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hello, When I press the power button on my computer, everything lights up briefly, then turns and then continuously trys to start about every five seconds. Any Suggestions?

Solution
If you can get your hands on another PSU, you should throw that it and see if it still occurs. I fixed many computers with this issue and 90% of the time it was the PSU. Other times it was mis-seated ram, case leads messed up, or a bad CPU fan.

styxbb

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Removed the battery and reinserted. Nothing. I don't know why, but I removed the power connectors to that said EATX 12v. When I did that, the system powered up, but nothing happened as far as boot sequence. What does this mean?

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Check the CPU Power Connector(8/4 Pins power)... Also, Pull those power connector and push back in until you hear a click... Also, check and see if your Power Button doesn't have anything inside of it my taking the front of the case off...

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
If you can get your hands on another PSU, you should throw that it and see if it still occurs. I fixed many computers with this issue and 90% of the time it was the PSU. Other times it was mis-seated ram, case leads messed up, or a bad CPU fan.

Solution

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011

Are you referring to returning the PSU? Where did you buy it? Most stores (Best Buy, Fry's, etc...) allow you to return computer components even if opened.

Edit: Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to either keep it for future testing or return it and pick up cheap one (i.e dynex 400w 39.99) for future testing.