Cheap AMD quad core using 3800s?

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Anyone know if there is a modest expense way to use two of the $110 AM2 X2 3800s in a single motherboard? I haven't looked into this before. It's interesting, since it could be a cheap way to get 4 cores, and perhaps could be upped to 8 cores eventually I would expect. It's even cheap enough to make me take a look at a $300 board.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Anyone know if there is a modest expense way to use two of the $110 AM2 X2 3800s in a single motherboard? I haven't looked into this before. It's interesting, since it could be a cheap way to get 4 cores, and perhaps could be upped to 8 cores eventually I would expect. It's even cheap enough to make me take a look at a $300 board.

Not possible. They don't jhave enough HT links. You CAN though get two Opteron 2210s and put them in a QFX mobo.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Now...it's an interesting problem anyway, since cheap AM2 board are available (common popular board around $60 for example.

If I built a dual board machine, or even two boxes, I could network them 6 ways to Sunday perhaps. I haven't tried really involved networking, but shoot.....the whole point of forums is exactly to find out new ideas and new stuff.

If one of the machines could be tasked by the other, then I'd have a kind of 4 core, upgradeable to 8 core, on the cheap.

Just interesting to think out.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

Not possible. They don't jhave enough HT links. You CAN though get two Opteron 2210s and put them in a QFX mobo.

yeah, I was thinking about this a little, but part of my criteria is a cheap 4 core, just for kicks (since my current dual core (4200) isn't even maxed out once on an average day for me!).

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Why bother? According to you, CPU power doesn't matter, just make sure you have a fast hard-drive, and graphics card. :roll:

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Well, obviously there is price/performance as a standard, and when that's the standard, then getting to 4 cores cheaply would be interesting to me, so I think about ways to get there really cheap.

The cheap (or price/performance ratio) parameter isn't the primary concern of most enthusiasts. Only some of us make it the primary, first concern.

Now, as I've said so many times...right now a cheap dual core (with the idea of upgrading to quad via a drop-in) makes sense for the moment. And for overall system performance, and bang-for-the-buck, once you have at least 2 cores and 2 MB, the real bang for the buck isn't more cpu speed, it's more hard drive speed.

Some folks know that already, some don't, some want "proof", some already implemented the advice, to their gain.