Noob question

ramble235

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
If I disassemble my new computer entirely and then put it back together, does that have any affect on the installed software or drivers, etc? Would it be as if nothing happened?

I want to overclock and am considering popping off all of the heatsinks to replace the stock thermal paste and remove caps on my Asus 975X board.

Thank you.

holy_cow

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
just to be safe (no drivers screaming or dlls crying or anything) make sure you palces the cards in the same slots they where

i.e.
if sound card was on the lowest PCI, place it back there...

We had some experiences time ago when moving a card from one pci to another required a driver reinstall so windows dont made a mess...

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I actually did this two days ago. I got a new case, which obviously requires disassembling the computer.
As holy cow said, make sure to put everything back exactly where it came from.

Even if you do move a card a slot or two, it shouldn't be a big deal, XP is pretty versatile. On the other hand....I once moved a Win98 boot drive into another computer and started it up....that took 2 hours to install hardware. (and it installed everything...like CMOS time clock...yeah.. :lol: )

Best of Luck

ramble235

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
Thanks everyone. I didn't think it would matter, but I didn't *know*, you know?

Good tip about putting the cards back into the same slots.

Regarding the caps, Asus put copper caps over the bridge heatsinks that look really cool but trap the heat inside. WTG Asus!

Also, I did build it myself so I know about static and dropping things :p