application permissions

why is it that a program, such as netzero, when installed
by the administrator, cannot be run (well, it won't
retain any of the setup information) by a typical user?

(same is true under XP).

thx.

is there a way to set permissions by application?
2 answers Last reply
More about application permissions

    If it won't run at all you may need to review ntfs permissions to the
    application folder and possibly the registry folder. If it has different
    settings, possibly those settings are stored in the user's profile that
    installed the application. If that is the case it may help to create a
    default user profile based on the profile of the user that installed the
    program. Any new users profile would be based on the default profile. I
    would also try to contact Netzero or se if their website has any info or FAQ
    that could help. --- Steve

    "jc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > why is it that a program, such as netzero, when installed
    > by the administrator, cannot be run (well, it won't
    > retain any of the setup information) by a typical user?
    >
    > (same is true under XP).
    >
    > thx.
    >
    > is there a way to set permissions by application?

    Hi

    most of the times the reason is just that the developer did not care much
    about privileges. You can find out what the application does on startup by
    using filemon and regmon (both from www.sysinternals.com ) or check out our
    own NeoExec as it allows you to set per-application privileges. NeoExec is
    free for non-professional use.

    --
    Marco [ www.neovalens.com ]
    --

    "jc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > why is it that a program, such as netzero, when installed
    > by the administrator, cannot be run (well, it won't
    > retain any of the setup information) by a typical user?
    >
    > (same is true under XP).
    >
    > thx.
    >
    > is there a way to set permissions by application?

Security Microsoft Permissions Windows