Please help with copying files for back-up

March 2, 2005 9:37:03 PM

Is there any way to copy the full title of each of my files when I "send" the
file to a CD? Although I can save to my computer (XP pro) files with titles
that are somewhat long, when I try to copy them to CDs for back-up, a window
pops up saying that the file cannot be copied because the title is invalid,
as it is too long. Most of my graphics file names are "too long", and I
dread having to change all the titles - over 1000!

Please help! Thanks.

Sara

More about : copying files back

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:38:25 AM

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:37:03 -0800, sarali wrote:

> Is there any way to copy the full title of each of my files when I "send" the
> file to a CD? Although I can save to my computer (XP pro) files with titles
> that are somewhat long, when I try to copy them to CDs for back-up, a window
> pops up saying that the file cannot be copied because the title is invalid,
> as it is too long. Most of my graphics file names are "too long", and I
> dread having to change all the titles - over 1000!
>
> Please help! Thanks.
>
> Sara

It isn't so much the length of the filenames as it is the length of the
entire path. Face it. "Documents and Settings" is a heck of a lot of
characters and you still have folders to go before getting to the default
My Pictures folder.

Suggestion: copy the pictures to a folder such as C:\Pics and then wrtie
them to CD. Not a very convenient or elegant solution but it should keep
the filenames intact.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User