Tags:
  • Configuration
  • RAM
  • Memory
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
July 13, 2011 4:36:04 AM

Hello,
Issue : 24 GB RAM in the machine with 64 bit OS. but shows 3GB in the Windows. but shows 24GB in the BIOS

More about : memory shown

a c 695 $ Windows 7
a c 91 } Memory
July 13, 2011 4:42:35 AM

Are you sure the 64 bit version was actually installed?

Check max ram setting in msconfig.exe

Make sure your bios is updated on the motherboard.
m
l
July 13, 2011 5:35:56 AM

Like he said, looks like you got a 32bit Windows installed there... Go check it for yourself:

Click "Start menu" -> Right click on "Computer" and "Properties". It will then show the version of your system.

You have to get a 64bits version of Windows or else those 21GB will just sleep there and consume electricity for nothing...

If you are sure you got a 64bits system it's limited to 3GB probably for maximum compatibility with older programs/games. Try this:

Click Start menu -> Execute then type "msconfig" without quotes. Open the second tab from the left. Sorry but my windows 7 is in french and since there is 2 "boot" tabs I can't translate them to reflect the one I'm talking about. Then when in the tab, click Advanced options, and deselect "Maximum Memory", save & reboot. Should resolve that problem.

Peace
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2011 5:53:06 AM

If it's 64 bit XP /who is kind of not natively 64 bit/ it uses a special driver to access the memory beyond 3GB /honestly I am not sure how Win7 operates with it - never asked myself :) /. The driver is a part of the OS and should be configured during the instalation, but it possibly may fail for some reason. Was 24GB RAM present when you installed your OS?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 7:09:31 AM

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System, and look under the "System" heading for a line that says "System Type: xx bit Operating System". What does it say?
m
l
a c 695 $ Windows 7
a c 91 } Memory
July 13, 2011 1:21:52 PM

pepe2907 said:
If it's 64 bit XP /who is kind of not natively 64 bit/ it uses a special driver to access the memory beyond 3GB /honestly I am not sure how Win7 operates with it - never asked myself :) /. The driver is a part of the OS and should be configured during the instalation, but it possibly may fail for some reason. Was 24GB RAM present when you installed your OS?

64 bit OS do NOT use a "driver" to access more memory. It's designed to be able to access a larger address space (64 bits vs 32 bits) when it was written. Not sure where you got this info about a driver from, but it's not right.
m
l
July 13, 2011 2:23:34 PM

@hang-the-9

Ever heard, that Windows uses special pieces of code to access every bit of memory besides the "kernel memory"?

Call them drivers or whatever you want...
m
l
a c 695 $ Windows 7
a c 91 } Memory
July 13, 2011 2:40:29 PM

pepe2907 said:
@hang-the-9

Ever heard, that Windows uses special pieces of code to access every bit of memory besides the "kernel memory"?

Call them drivers or whatever you want...

OK now you are going on another road here, of course Windows needs code to access memory, just like it needs codes to run graphics, or anything else it does. That has nothing to do with drivers, and nothing to do with making the system 32 bit or 64 bit.

You said the "driver" is configured during installation, it's not, the 64 bit code is part of the OS, it's not configured like network settings or video settings, and it can't "fail" during installation. It's like saying that a apple seed can "fail" and grow peaches for some reason, it's a 64 bit OS when you install it, it can't just go "oops" and install 32 bit code instead.

You install a 64 bit OS, you get 64 bit addressing, because the program was written that way. I'm not picking on you here, but when when answering you need to use the right terms and know the technology or we'd just confuse people more that are looking for answers.
m
l
July 13, 2011 2:55:58 PM

Just as I remember /it was quite time ago when I used winXP 64 - and I mentioned it's specifically about win XP 64/ it was a separated from the kernel piece of code to manage the memory beyond the 3 or 4 GB... something like that... how you may call it?
And no, it's not an external driver, it's an internal driver, as there once was such things for the Extended memory, the Expanded memory and so on...
m
l