Question regarding SUS Admin Server

Silly question - but I just want to ensure that I'm on
the right track. When setting up a SUS environment in an
AD envrionment, does the SUS Parent Server, receive
approved updates the same as the client servers ( ie via
GPO settings) or is there a self update feature that can
be configured for SUS Admin servers
4 answers Last reply
More about question admin server

    If the SUS server is in the same OU the GP is applied to it will receive the
    update.

    I would suggest manually updating servers.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Danny Sanders" wrote:

    > If the SUS server is in the same OU the GP is applied to it will receive the
    > update.
    >
    > I would suggest manually updating servers.

    I personally would feel free to set up SUS to update itself and reboot
    automatically using the same setting as all the other AU clients, as long as
    no other mission critical services are running on that server. You'll save
    yourself effort, and no one will notice if the SUS server is unavailable for
    a little while due to a patch problem.

    Or, if you prefer, you can configure SUS to automatically download patches,
    and then wait for an admin to approve the installation of the patches after
    the patches have been adequately tested or approved. This to me is still
    potentially easier and more reliable than manually patching. This method
    should be acceptable for pretty much any server, even mission critical ones.

    Hi,

    SUS server gets it updates from Microsoft (windowsupdate server). You
    configure synchronization time (when and how often). Once updates are
    downloaded to the SUS server you can approve them (or not). If you approve
    them, clients will download them and scheduled them for install (depends on
    your GPO configuration).

    Software Update Services Deployment White Paper
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/susdeployment.mspx
    I hope this helps,

    Mike

    "RP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Silly question - but I just want to ensure that I'm on
    > the right track. When setting up a SUS environment in an
    > AD envrionment, does the SUS Parent Server, receive
    > approved updates the same as the client servers ( ie via
    > GPO settings) or is there a self update feature that can
    > be configured for SUS Admin servers

    OK. Now I see I misunderstood the question. Sorry :-).

    Mike

    "Miha Pihler" <mihap-news@atlantis.si> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > SUS server gets it updates from Microsoft (windowsupdate server). You
    > configure synchronization time (when and how often). Once updates are
    > downloaded to the SUS server you can approve them (or not). If you approve
    > them, clients will download them and scheduled them for install (depends
    on
    > your GPO configuration).
    >
    > Software Update Services Deployment White Paper
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/susdeployment.mspx
    > I hope this helps,
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "RP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Silly question - but I just want to ensure that I'm on
    > > the right track. When setting up a SUS environment in an
    > > AD envrionment, does the SUS Parent Server, receive
    > > approved updates the same as the client servers ( ie via
    > > GPO settings) or is there a self update feature that can
    > > be configured for SUS Admin servers

Internet Explorer Microsoft Servers Windows