Question regarding SUS Admin Server

RP

Silly question - but I just want to ensure that I'm on
the right track. When setting up a SUS environment in an
AD envrionment, does the SUS Parent Server, receive
approved updates the same as the client servers ( ie via
GPO settings) or is there a self update feature that can
be configured for SUS Admin servers

If the SUS server is in the same OU the GP is applied to it will receive the
update.

I would suggest manually updating servers.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Danny Sanders" wrote:

> If the SUS server is in the same OU the GP is applied to it will receive the
> update.
>
> I would suggest manually updating servers.

I personally would feel free to set up SUS to update itself and reboot
automatically using the same setting as all the other AU clients, as long as
no other mission critical services are running on that server. You'll save
yourself effort, and no one will notice if the SUS server is unavailable for
a little while due to a patch problem.

Or, if you prefer, you can configure SUS to automatically download patches,
and then wait for an admin to approve the installation of the patches after
the patches have been adequately tested or approved. This to me is still
potentially easier and more reliable than manually patching. This method
should be acceptable for pretty much any server, even mission critical ones.

Hi,

SUS server gets it updates from Microsoft (windowsupdate server). You
configure synchronization time (when and how often). Once updates are
downloaded to the SUS server you can approve them (or not). If you approve
them, clients will download them and scheduled them for install (depends on
your GPO configuration).

Software Update Services Deployment White Paper
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/susdeployment.mspx
I hope this helps,

Mike

"RP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Silly question - but I just want to ensure that I'm on
> the right track. When setting up a SUS environment in an
> AD envrionment, does the SUS Parent Server, receive
> approved updates the same as the client servers ( ie via
> GPO settings) or is there a self update feature that can
> be configured for SUS Admin servers

OK. Now I see I misunderstood the question. Sorry :).

Mike

"Miha Pihler" <mihap-news@atlantis.si> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> SUS server gets it updates from Microsoft (windowsupdate server). You
> configure synchronization time (when and how often). Once updates are
> downloaded to the SUS server you can approve them (or not). If you approve
> them, clients will download them and scheduled them for install (depends
on
> your GPO configuration).
>
> Software Update Services Deployment White Paper
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/susdeployment.mspx
> I hope this helps,
>
> Mike
>
> "RP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Silly question - but I just want to ensure that I'm on
> > the right track. When setting up a SUS environment in an
> > AD envrionment, does the SUS Parent Server, receive
> > approved updates the same as the client servers ( ie via
> > GPO settings) or is there a self update feature that can
> > be configured for SUS Admin servers

Latest posts