Are These Temps Okay? Pic Included

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Before I go into overclocking my e6300, I want to make sure that my temperatures are normal. Because I have never really been an overclocker, I never paid much attention to temps especially in so many different programs.

If you guys could take a look at this pic and tell me if these temps are okay at Idle, that would be great! Thanks!

P.S. I'm running stock HSF. Temps circled in Red.

CPUTemps.jpg

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
That pretty hot under 100% load. Mine only reaches 47 degrees Celsius max at load. I'm not sure but check if you seated the HSF correctly. If my CPU was OC'ed then it would hit that kind of temps

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
The confusing part to me is that CoreTemp and EasyTune5 have the temps listed 44c and 39c respectively, while Intel TAT has them in the high 50c range.

It's about a 10c difference.

I am pretty sure my heatsink it seated right, the stock HSF seemed rather straightforward in that if you don't get all the clips in, it wouldn't even have contact, but it appears that all my clips are in.

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
When I have them on they have almost the same temps with I run at 100% at TAT its like a couple degrees off from each other.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
SinisterMessiah and CmdPT, 57c in TAT or Core Temp is within the normal range, and CmdPT, 47c at 2.9 Ghz with 100% TAT is inaccurate, probably offset by - 15c. Your actual Core Temp is probably 62 to 64c, which is still OK. Please review the following topic for answers to your temperature questions:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Intel has 2 separate temperature specs with 2 different readings from 3 separate temperature sensors in the C2D. Keep in mind the 965 motherboards can display readings inconsistent with the norms. In this instance SinisterMessiah, your system is displaying incorrect values offset by - 15c in Core Temp, and reasonable values in TAT. Both programs read (and can miss-read) the same dual Thermal Junction sensors (Tjunction) within each core.

Further, Easy Tune 5 is incorrect, because it's not possible for your CPU case temp to be 18c, which is read from the single Thermal Case sensor, (Tcase), not to be confused with "computer case". 18c would be below normal ambient room temp at 22c, unless your ambient room temp is extremely cold. I'm inclined to think that Tcase is offset by ~ - 5c, so 18c idle would actually be ~ 23c, and 39c load would be ~ 44c. This would make sense.

Since Tcase tables are stored in BIOS, it's possible that a BIOS flash and chiposet driver update to the latest releases may correct these problems. Before you overclock, remember the boxed Intel cooler is marginal even for a moderate OC, so you may want to consider replacing it with a cooler suitable for handling an overclocked CPU with increased Vcore.

Hope this help. 8)

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Thank you for that information. Very valuable.

In regards to flashing my bios, I am assuming I can do it through windows? The last time I flashed a bios in windows it fried my bios so I am wary about trying to update it =\

I just invested in a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
The most reliable method for flashing BIOS is with a boot floppy or boot CD. Since there is no OS, foreground, background or other processes operating in a DOS environment to potentially disrupt the flash, it is still the prefered method for these reasons.

Hope this helps. 8)

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Okay. Well maybe I'll get brave enough to try it from a boot floppy or cd, but for now I'm going to wait.

I really just want to overclock my e6300 to 3.0ghz if possible. I am going to put the arctic cooler freezer 7 pro on it, so based on my situation should I only be going off of what Intel TAT says? If so, should I be adding a couple degrees to what TAT says? Or is it everything else but TAT that appears to be off by about 5c?

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Oh, well my PC is actually pretty close to our heater. We have a gas heater or something and my PC is almost directly across from it. I know this isn't the best place, and I am planning on moving it to the other side of my desk. We like to keep the apartment a toasty 70 and up in the winter. Sometimes I jack the heat up quite a bit and it gets pretty warm in my corner :)

But I also have a 250mm case fan for my intake on the side not facing the heater, and my front and rear fans are both blowing out. It usually feels like the air being blown out of my case is pretty cool.

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I'd say that is the average, yes. Because it is so close to the heater, it could be a little higher, but it isn't in direct flow of the air so that is my guess.

What does that mean?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
It means that since we now know what the ambient variable is, then we have enough information to determine what tmeperature offsets make sense for your rig. Based upon this information, I'll stand by my previous guestimate of adding +5c to Easy tune (Tcase), and +2c to TAT (Tjunction). There's no need to run Core Temp on your rig, as it's offset by - 15c, which is unusual, but it does happen.

With these adjusted values, your temperatures would be as follows:

Load = 100%
TAT = 59c/58c
Easy Tune = 44c

Idle
TAT = 40c/38c
Easy Tune = 23c

Hope this helps. 8)