two apps on one card

May 13, 2005 7:52:01 PM

Let a future PDA user have this stupid question: after having done some
reading concerning this topic I have come to believe that it is
impossible to have two or more applications installed on ONE memory card
(e.g. a dictionary and navigation software or two navigation apps of a
different kind etc.) without any reference to how much data the card can
hold. If this is true should I think of getting two 256 cards rather
than one 512? In addition to that I read that TomTom navigation
software's gps driver prevents CartoExplorer's gps driver (french gps
software) from functioning. Would installing these two applications on
two separate cards solve this problem. Or would this be useless because
the driver (as I would expect) installs on the internal RAM? If this is
is NOT the solution- what do I do?
Thanks for any help
Pavel

More about : apps card

May 13, 2005 7:52:02 PM

Hi
I have a 1GB memory card. It's got about 300MB of music file on, as well as
about 10 or 12 applications. Whatever lead you to believe you cannot have
more than one app on a card is wrong!

--
Andy.

"Pavel Ferenc" <pavel.ferenc@seznam.cz> wrote in message
news:D 62b6b$ei8$1@news.vol.cz...
> Let a future PDA user have this stupid question: after having done some
> reading concerning this topic I have come to believe that it is impossible
> to have two or more applications installed on ONE memory card (e.g. a
> dictionary and navigation software or two navigation apps of a different
> kind etc.) without any reference to how much data the card can hold. If
> this is true should I think of getting two 256 cards rather than one 512?
> In addition to that I read that TomTom navigation software's gps driver
> prevents CartoExplorer's gps driver (french gps software) from
> functioning. Would installing these two applications on two separate cards
> solve this problem. Or would this be useless because the driver (as I
> would expect) installs on the internal RAM? If this is is NOT the
> solution- what do I do?
> Thanks for any help
> Pavel
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 7:52:02 PM

Pavel Ferenc <pavel.ferenc@seznam.cz> wrote in news:D 62b6b$ei8$1
@news.vol.cz:

> Let a future PDA user have this stupid question: after having done some
> reading concerning this topic I have come to believe that it is
> impossible to have two or more applications installed on ONE memory card
> (e.g. a dictionary and navigation software or two navigation apps of a
> different kind etc.) without any reference to how much data the card can
> hold.

Your belief is incorrect.

Scott
May 13, 2005 8:36:47 PM

Pavel Ferenc astonished the world with this remark:

> Let a future PDA user have this stupid question: after having done some
> reading concerning this topic I have come to believe that it is
> impossible to have two or more applications installed on ONE memory
card
> (e.g. a dictionary and navigation software or two navigation apps of a
> different kind etc.) without any reference to how much data the card
can
> hold. If this is true should I think of getting two 256 cards rather
> than one 512? In addition to that I read that TomTom navigation
> software's gps driver prevents CartoExplorer's gps driver (french gps
> software) from functioning. Would installing these two applications on
> two separate cards solve this problem. Or would this be useless because
> the driver (as I would expect) installs on the internal RAM? If this is
> is NOT the solution- what do I do?
> Thanks for any help
> Pavel

There is no limit to the number of applications one can install on a
memorycard exept for the memory-size of the card itself and the amount of
storage room the program files need. In this regard (as well as on many
other issues) you can safely think of a memory-card as a kind of solid-
state removable harddisk.

--

SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 12:25:32 AM

"Pavel Ferenc" <pavel.ferenc@seznam.cz> wrote in message
news:D 62b6b$ei8$1@news.vol.cz...
> Let a future PDA user have this stupid question: after having done some
> reading concerning this topic I have come to believe that it is impossible
> to have two or more applications installed on ONE memory card (e.g. a
> dictionary and navigation software or two navigation apps of a different
> kind etc.) without any reference to how much data the card can hold. If
> this is true should I think of getting two 256 cards rather than one 512?
> In addition to that I read that TomTom navigation software's gps driver
> prevents CartoExplorer's gps driver (french gps software) from
> functioning. Would installing these two applications on two separate cards
> solve this problem. Or would this be useless because the driver (as I
> would expect) installs on the internal RAM? If this is is NOT the
> solution- what do I do?
> Thanks for any help
> Pavel

There is a limit to the number of applications you can install on a memory
card.

It is limited by the size of the card, and the size of the applications.
This may be 1 applicaion if those circumstances are relevant for your
circumstances, but could equally be 20 or more given the correct
circumstances.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 3:04:17 PM

Since many apps are generally 500k or less, that should allow you to
install 2000 apps on a 1 gig card... course the registry would then be
pretty bloated by that time and the start menu would have to be manually
managed ;-)

There is no root problem installing apps to a card although it is not
often clear how to do so during the install process... you can use
cabinstall which makes it simple plus it is possible to move most
installed apps to a card if they do not have registry entries pointing
to their original install location such as file associations.

See http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Cabs for more install info.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!