I'm in a real fix Reinstalling Win7

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I recently bough a new motherboard and CPU along with 4GB of memory to upgrade my system. Moving from Intel to AMD, my new processor is an Athlon II X3 @ 3.2; The mobo is a Biostar A880G+ and the memory is DDR3 at 1333.

The new mobo Windows 7 didn't like at all. It refused to boot, probably because it couldn't find the HDD controller (I'm not sure exactly how that all works, but I do know installing a new mobo is a dodgy affair as far as drivers go).

Therefore, I resolved to backup my data, wipe my secondary drive, and overwrite the system drive as I reinstalled Win7 from the DVD. It would naturally get all the correct drivers and/or allow me to install them manually.

The problem is: When I try to boot from the Win7 disc, I get a "Code 5: cannot boot from CD." What's going on here? I am almost 100% certain it is not a fault with the DVD burn. I checked other places and it appears the problem could lie with AMD, or with bad drivers, or bad BIOS.

I have a 4GB flash drive as well as another computer with a DVD burner in the house. Should I try to boot from a thumb drive? Install a different OS and install Win7 from there?

Please help me!

Solution
This problem is related to old computer parts... Since you got all new computer but you don't talk about optical drives let me tell you this: In the past years I've heard about IDE/SATA optical drives that don't support boot from CD/DVD. So just try a few other it shall work.

Other than that there's is no reason no to boot from cd, since even on internet we see threads about old computers that cannot boot from cd and all the solutions found are to load the DVD-ROM driver before loading the Windows setup, doing this either by installing in a working windows environnement, or by using a floppy disk to load a program that loads different drivers to make it work...

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
This problem is related to old computer parts... Since you got all new computer but you don't talk about optical drives let me tell you this: In the past years I've heard about IDE/SATA optical drives that don't support boot from CD/DVD. So just try a few other it shall work.

Other than that there's is no reason no to boot from cd, since even on internet we see threads about old computers that cannot boot from cd and all the solutions found are to load the DVD-ROM driver before loading the Windows setup, doing this either by installing in a working windows environnement, or by using a floppy disk to load a program that loads different drivers to make it work...

Solution

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Completely understandable.

I appreciate your response, but I think I've solved this on my own. I used WinToFlash to put the files on a thumb drive and booted OK from that.