Firewall

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
October 5, 2004 6:51:44 PM

I have used Norton for a couple of years. Decided to use
BT's Firewall instead from their security pack, having
uninstalled Norton. It locks out IE and Outlook from
accessing via my broadband connection. I have Windows
2000 V5.0 SP4.
Is a firewall already included in the Windows config?

More about : firewall

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
October 6, 2004 4:48:18 AM

There is no built in firewall in Windows 2000. That did not start until XP.
My guess is that you need to configure the firewall to allow it. Check the
rules and application restrictions to see if you can find out where that is
configured. Possible the firewall prompted you for access and you selected
no and it created a rule that is in place blocking access. Another option
may be to uninstall it and reinstall it being sure to say no if it asks you
to use previous install configuration. Dns name resolution using port 53 udp
outbound also needs to be allowed to use internet names. -- Steve

!