What is the best? intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.18 Or AmdX2 5200

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
If your doing strictly e6400 vs x2 5200 without overclocking, the AMD chip will win, however, with a little overclocking, Intel's conroe will run away with all the benchmarks.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
If you have the time and inclination to overclock, this forum and the overclocking articles will help, and the C2duo is a good choice. Cooling is quite important, since the chips have a randomly degraded lifespan from the overclocking.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
If your doing strictly e6400 vs x2 5200 without overclocking, the AMD chip will win, however, with a little overclocking, Intel's conroe will run away with all the benchmarks.

agree, and boy can c2d oc! :)

God I hate this question. Sempron/Celeron is best.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
God I hate this question.

why?

I'm going to assume it's because it's a waste of time. Bebo123 could of easily just done a google search for some benchmarks, and that would of been the end of it. Instead takes the lazy way out and posts here.

I'm just assuming :roll:

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I don't know over there, but here in Australia the X2 5200 just dropped in price to be now about $15 Aussie cheaper than the E6400 C2D. With cheaper AM2 MOBO's then the C2D,s IF you don't want to overclock then in pure cash flow terms, that means. AMD is a better choice. 8)

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
go with a 5600 like me and OC to 3.0 ghz on air cooling alone will be plenty for ya! Of course Im a Amd Fanboy and proud of it!
pfffff.....
my pen1$ is bigger than yours......
mine C2D E6400 is OCed to 3.2GHz on air and wipes the floor with your 5600+ @3.0GHz in every application and every benchmark know to man kind. :lol:

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I wouldn't mind having either one but if I had to choose, I'll take the E6400. If I had to only upgrade I'll take the 5200 coz I already have an AM2 rig coz I didn't have enough to get me a c2d after christmas when my old rig died...

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
the AMD chip, of course, cause it can go to a barcelona upgrade later.

This may be a gamble, could you show some benchmark data that would affirm that this is a wise move... aside from spending money now to later throw it away, if this is the case then the 3800+ is a better option.

Life is a gamble. Don't let fear control your choices, or you lose out in the long run.

Better to take chances. That's how people end up "lucky", as they say.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
If you have the time and inclination to overclock, this forum and the overclocking articles will help, and the C2duo is a good choice. Cooling is quite important, since the chips have a randomly degraded lifespan from the overclocking.

Just how much degradation do you expect?? Do you have data to share?

No. Just the ancedotes I've read. Since the OP question is a novice one, basic info (cooling is important) is worthwhile for him.

Your question is a curious one though, coming from someone as knowledgeable as you.

What's up??

I really doubt you need such info, but, yes, temperature of the cpu is drastically important for cpu life:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips30/

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/conroe-vs-zalman.html

It's odd you asking this question.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Best is a vauge term as you can see at stock the AMD will outperform the Core2Duo. The Core2Duo can easily be overclocked 10% on the stock cooler and outperform the AMD. The ASUS P5N-E 650i board is a relatively inexpensive 775 socket T board that can be overclocked automatically in the BIOS if you aren't familiar with overclocking.

Overclocking does increase the aging of the insulation within the chip due to increased temperature and/or voltages. Arrenhius curves for insulation aging indicate typically a 10C increase in temperature corresponds to a 50% decrease in insulator life, however, unless you run it 24/7/365 for 10 years I wouldn't get concerned with running 10C hotter. The bigger concern in overclocking is increasing the CPU voltage as it increases the stress on the insulation layer accelerating both the aging mechanism and moving the failure point up on the insulation life curve.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
In most games the 6400 wins by a margin of 1 - 2 FPS and in CoD 2, it won by 20 FPS.(compared to the 5000+ on Toms CPU Chart) Most applications that I looked at the 6400 won or was very close, like in the specific one that you showed. The 5200+ is online a cache increase, which we all know that on AMD K8 arch doesnt mean a whole lot because of the IMC. On 3Dmark06, the CPU score and the Graphical scores, trade minimal blows on both, which evens them out. The price to performance ratio also was better on the C2D, so Even without OC'ing it seems that the better purchase could weigh towards the C2D simply because it appears that it is better for the price, but still neck and neck at stock speeds with the 5000 and most likely the 5200+ as well. If OC'ing is even brought into the equation at all then it is no contest and the C2D wins. Also remember that the AMD is going to require good speed and latency memory to be used to its full potential where as the C2D fairs better when you can achieve FSB and Memory sync. It is possible this could lower cost, but the difference will be quite marginal IMO, so from the facts I have seen and experienced through ownership of different parts and looking at Toms CPU chart the 6400 appears to be the better way to go. This is just my 2 cents, I am not trying to sound like an Intel fanboy, I am just trying to help. I honestly think that the better choice is C2D at this point, but either way the OP goes he/she will have a very fast chip and will not be disapointed in the performance, unless OC'ing is an option here, which it may have been stated somewhere whether it is or isnt and I just missed it and apologise, but never the less I recommend C2D, but at the same time am not saying you should not get the 5200+. I am telling what I would do if I was in his/her situation.

Best,

3Ball