Restrict downloads

I am looking for a way to restrict users from downloading and/or installing
files from the internet. I still want them to be able to browse the internet
but I don't want them downloading or installing anything. Does anybody know a
way to do that?
I would appreciate any suggestions.
1 answer Last reply
More about restrict downloads

    If they are NOT local administrators or power users there may be a couple of
    things you can try.

    Use your firewall to block outbound access to all but unauthorized
    ports/protocols to keep them from using file swap, chat programs, and such.
    If you can not do that, then personal firewalls or ipsec filtering can be
    used on W2K/XP Pro computers to have the same effect. As long as they can
    use only Internet Explorer as their browser you can configure their Web
    Content Zones to disable downloads. This can be down via Group Policy also
    but you will have to also disable the users ability to access at least the
    security page in Internet Explorer control panel.

    XP Pro computers can be configured with Software Restriction Policies to
    restrict what users can install and run on their computers with either hash,
    certificate, or path rules. W2K does not offer that and about the best you
    can do is configure the allowed only or disallowed list of Windows
    Applications in Group Policy/user configuration/system. Be sure to read the
    full explanation of any setting before implementing and it may help to add
    setup.exe and install.exe to the disallowed list. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323525 -- example
    of W2K Group Policy setting.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/rstrplcy.mspx
    -- XP Pro SRP

    "Krasimir Krumov" <KrasimirKrumov@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:326C8DD9-FB25-4155-B11E-C1483154345E@microsoft.com...
    >I am looking for a way to restrict users from downloading and/or installing
    > files from the internet. I still want them to be able to browse the
    > internet
    > but I don't want them downloading or installing anything. Does anybody
    > know a
    > way to do that?
    > I would appreciate any suggestions.

Security Microsoft Internet Windows