Sign in with
Your question

l33t help needed. Using bittorent on my neighbours wifi....

Tags:
  • Connection
  • WiFi
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 24, 2006 2:01:13 AM

Well im "sharing" my neighbours wifi ( my connection is very slow).
So apparently they dont have their ports forwarded( which is logical, more logical than not have WEP). So bittorent cant reach its full potential without those ports forwarded. Is there anything that i could do? Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

I could just ask him to forward his ports but.....that might not work out too well.

Thankyou in advance.

More about : l33t needed bittorent neighbours wifi

October 24, 2006 4:59:49 AM

Quote:
Is there anything that i could do?
Yes. Quit being a thief and pay for your own high speed connection.
October 25, 2006 1:47:44 AM

Well i was kind of expecting that sort of reply. Im not being a "theif" because im not taking his connection away from him. Im just sharing his connection.
I would get hi-speed but im poor and cant afford it :oops: 

But i did think it was a valid question.
Related resources
October 25, 2006 4:25:12 PM

Quote:
Well i was kind of expecting that sort of reply. Im not being a "theif" because im not taking his connection away from him. Im just sharing his connection.
I would get hi-speed but im poor and cant afford it :oops: 

But i did think it was a valid question.
However you rationalize it, you are still a thief. You are not "sharing" because he did not give you a share to share. You are taking his bandwidth that he is paying for. While you are stealing from him, his performance (again, that HE is paying for) suffers; downloads take longer; games are more sluggish. This will be even more true if you actually get bittorrent working. You'll suck all the bits out of his connection for your own selfish downloads, which you are probably stealing, too.

That fact that you cannot afford high speed internet does not give you the right to steal it from someone else.

Go to a public hotspot where it is actually offered free.

Have some integrity. Or, is your personal integrity worth less than $30 a month?
October 25, 2006 9:24:58 PM

Thanks for the help. And thank you for not preaching to me about how im a horrible person.

btw. I dont know if your suggestion will help because there still is a router (firewall) in my way. I'll give it a shot though.
October 25, 2006 9:37:50 PM

I dont need you to tell me how im a horrible person ( i already know that).

btw. where do you live? You cant get high-speed for under 45$ where i live.
( i know thats no excuse)

If your attempt was to guilt me...you succeeded. But i got over it.

But in a hypocritical way...i agree with you. I wouldnt want someone "sharing" my connection ( then again i would at least enable WEP) . That would be selfsih of them.

ps. Please dont preach to me anymore.
!