Is WFLA HD (NBC Tampa) on any cable system?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
July 23, 2004 1:13:51 AM

Hi,

Is WFLA HD on any cable system?

Am hoping for WFLA on Pinellas HD (Brighthouse, St. Pete)
before the Olympics. Was down in Sarasota last week, decided to check
their HD lineup. Saw that WFLA was not on their system either.

When I went HD I noticed that of the 'Big 4' only NBC was
absent. I sent them an email and got this reply, I don't know much
about the business but it does seem a bit snotty to me:

WFLA-TV is working through contract language with cable operators
which would be amenable to WFLA-TV and the operator(s). So far, the
cable folks have been reluctant to grant TV stations across the
country full bandwidth for the TV station's signal. They want to
"strip" part of the signal for their own use which many TV stations
find repugnant and moreover a form of compensation to the cable
company for carrying the signal. On the flip side, other TV stations
(some in Tampa) have reached agreement though we believe with some
serious concessions; concessions WFLA-TV will not accept.

Since most TV stations receive no compensation from cable companies
and since cable subscribers view nearly 70% of their time spent on
over-the-air television (local commercial TV stations like WFLA-TV)
this issue looms large going forward.

Stay tuned as we hope to have resolution in the very near future. This
is being given careful consideration at the FCC as well since the
government is interested in moving DTV's conversion along. In the
meantime, you should be able to receive a terrific signal, off-air, of
the HDTV product Channel 8 transmits.

Hope this helps you understand our plight. From WFLA's standpoint, the
cable company either carries 100% of Channel 8's signal or they get to
carry none of it.

Best regards.

Eric S. Land

President and General Manager
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 3:56:02 PM

No.

I was hoping NBC HD would be on Brighthouse before the Olympics, but judging
from the reply you received, it doesn't look like that will happen.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 10:19:25 PM

Wal-Mart sells an over the air HDTV receiver for slightly less than $200 and
an indoor HDTV antenna for about $40. I'm going to try them in the hope that
they will be my solution to watching the Olympics in HD.

I'll post the results of my experiment here.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 12:56:38 AM

I'm happy to report that I now have WFLA HD and several other local HD
stations that Brighthouse doesn't carry.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought the US Digital HD Receiver for $200 plus an
optical digital audio cable.

Wal-Mart was out of indoor HDTV antennas. So, I went to Circuit City and
bought a Terk HDTVi Antenna Pro for $40.

It took about 15 minutes to install everything.

When the US Digital Receiver scanned for channels, it found WFLA-HD,
WFLA-SD, a WFLA weather channel, Fox-HD and WTOG-HD. When I have time to
fiddle with the antenna, I should be able to pick up the local WB, UPN and
PAX in HD.

The bottom line is that I will have NBC HD for the Olympics.

BTW, where you live in the Tampa area certainly would affect the ease of
getting channels with an indoor antenna. For what it might be worth to you,
I'm in the Carrollwood area.
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 12:56:39 AM

> When the US Digital Receiver scanned for channels, it found WFLA-HD,
> WFLA-SD, a WFLA weather channel, Fox-HD and WTOG-HD. When I have time to
> fiddle with the antenna, I should be able to pick up the local WB, UPN and
> PAX in HD.

What is WFLA?

July 24, 2004 4:19:23 AM

WFLA is the Tampa NBC affiliate.
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 10:25:34 AM

"Steve" <tunet@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is WFLA HD on any cable system?
>
> Am hoping for WFLA on Pinellas HD (Brighthouse, St. Pete)
> before the Olympics. Was down in Sarasota last week, decided to check
> their HD lineup. Saw that WFLA was not on their system either.
>
> When I went HD I noticed that of the 'Big 4' only NBC was
> absent. I sent them an email and got this reply, I don't know much
> about the business but it does seem a bit snotty to me:
>

> WFLA-TV is working through contract language with cable operators
> which would be amenable to WFLA-TV and the operator(s). So far, the
> cable folks have been reluctant to grant TV stations across the
> country full bandwidth for the TV station's signal. They want to
> "strip" part of the signal for their own use which many TV stations
> find repugnant and moreover a form of compensation to the cable
> company for carrying the signal. On the flip side, other TV stations
> (some in Tampa) have reached agreement though we believe with some
> serious concessions; concessions WFLA-TV will not accept.
>
> Since most TV stations receive no compensation from cable companies
> and since cable subscribers view nearly 70% of their time spent on
> over-the-air television (local commercial TV stations like WFLA-TV)
> this issue looms large going forward.
>
> Stay tuned as we hope to have resolution in the very near future. This
> is being given careful consideration at the FCC as well since the
> government is interested in moving DTV's conversion along. In the
> meantime, you should be able to receive a terrific signal, off-air, of
> the HDTV product Channel 8 transmits.
>
> Hope this helps you understand our plight. From WFLA's standpoint, the
> cable company either carries 100% of Channel 8's signal or they get to
> carry none of it.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Eric S. Land
>
> President and General Manager

I receive 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 over an antenna. Signal level in Sarasota is
excellent. WFLA provides two versions of their over the air broadcast in
different aspect ratios and broadcasts a 24hr weather radar picture on 8.3

There are other issues here. Currently I can't receive any HD programs over
cable UNLESS I rent a Comcast cable box and pay $19 per month. That should
change! I'm paying almost $50.00 per month for basic cable and have had to
put up my own antenna. If Fox news, CNN, and the SiFi channel were
available locally I'd be off cable.

With an RV antenna two feet above my roof ($65 plus $18 for mount and mast)
I can receive 21+ channels. Subtract the three religious and three Spanish
stations and I still have enough to keep my clicker finger happy.

The problem is that there is not enough pressure on the cable companies
because most HD TV's don't come with a built-in HD tuner. Imagine the
outcry if they all had one. That will change shortly as all new TV's are
going to be required to have one and the price of set-top boxes have dropped
thru the $200 price point.
!