DANGEROUSLY LOW VIRTUAL MEMORY!

Hello... I keep getting a warning that my "Virtual Memory" is dangerously
Low! My system has been running very slowly lately and I cleared our some of
my hard drive (5.5G available)... Not running anything extraordinary and I
have an updated subscription to Norton and run a scan everyday... Cleaned
out all the "spyware"...

Someone please help me with my slow system that apparently is low in virtual
memory (whatever that really means...)

Many thanks in advance.

-Lee

PS This slowness is a recent occurrence - the system seems to drag
endlessly.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What is the size of your swap file (also known as virtual memory)? My
Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual
Memory

"wrtfilms" <wrtfilms@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hello... I keep getting a warning that my "Virtual Memory" is dangerously
> Low! My system has been running very slowly lately and I cleared our some
> of my hard drive (5.5G available)... Not running anything extraordinary
> and I have an updated subscription to Norton and run a scan everyday...
> Cleaned out all the "spyware"...
>
> Someone please help me with my slow system that apparently is low in
> virtual memory (whatever that really means...)
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> -Lee
>
> PS This slowness is a recent occurrence - the system seems to drag
> endlessly.

Hi

Please try the following article by Alex Nichol:

"Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"wrtfilms" <wrtfilms@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hello... I keep getting a warning that my "Virtual Memory" is dangerously
> Low! My system has been running very slowly lately and I cleared our some
> of my hard drive (5.5G available)... Not running anything extraordinary
> and I have an updated subscription to Norton and run a scan everyday...
> Cleaned out all the "spyware"...
>
> Someone please help me with my slow system that apparently is low in
> virtual memory (whatever that really means...)
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> -Lee
>
> PS This slowness is a recent occurrence - the system seems to drag
> endlessly.

Hi,

Do you have Intel Application Accelerator installed? If so, you need to
uninstall it and install the latest version. The older ones are incompatible
with WinXP and can cause this error message.

If not, then try this: Go to System properties/advanced/performance
settings/advanced tab/virtual memory change and disable the swap file.
Reboot. Delete all instances of pagefile.sys from all drives should any
exist, then reverse the original steps and reenable the swap file. Reboot
once more to finish. See if this helps,

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"wrtfilms" <wrtfilms@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hello... I keep getting a warning that my "Virtual Memory" is dangerously
> Low! My system has been running very slowly lately and I cleared our some
> of my hard drive (5.5G available)... Not running anything extraordinary
> and I have an updated subscription to Norton and run a scan everyday...
> Cleaned out all the "spyware"...
>
> Someone please help me with my slow system that apparently is low in
> virtual memory (whatever that really means...)
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> -Lee
>
> PS This slowness is a recent occurrence - the system seems to drag
> endlessly.

Jim

"wrtfilms" <wrtfilms@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hello... I keep getting a warning that my "Virtual Memory" is dangerously
> Low! My system has been running very slowly lately and I cleared our some
of
> my hard drive (5.5G available)... Not running anything extraordinary and I
> have an updated subscription to Norton and run a scan everyday... Cleaned
> out all the "spyware"...
>
> Someone please help me with my slow system that apparently is low in
virtual
> memory (whatever that really means...)
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> -Lee
>
> PS This slowness is a recent occurrence - the system seems to drag
> endlessly.

This message usually means that the pagefile is too small. Be certain that
there is adequate free space on the disk. Let Windows manage the size of
the pagefile.
Jim