Getting an Old DOS program to work with security policies

Hi all.

I work at a university and a member of staff has requested that an old stats
program, called 'GPower', be installed on the 2K student lab machines.

I have installed this software and when I log on as an administrator the
program runs fine. However, when I try to run the program with my student
security policies loaded the program fails with 'due to restrictions in
effect on this machine....', Followed by a windows explorer error saying
'Unable to run this command' I have checked and I have added the exe file to
the list of allowed applications. I cant get the command prompt to work
either under this policy could they be linked? If I disable (or select not
configured) the 'Run only allowed windows applications' then the Gpower
program starts correctly. I don't have the 'prevent access to the command
prompt currently enabled.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get this program to work? Do I
need to add further entries to the allowed programs list, If so, any idea as
to what I should be adding to the list? Is there a setting in my policy that
I'm missing, etc, etc? Or is it just that this DOS program is incompatible
with 2K security settings?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. This is really starting to drive me
nuts.

Cheers
Ross

It probably is related to the command prompt not being able to run also. Try
adding cmd.exe and command.com to the list of allowed applications to see if
it helps. It may also help to use the free utility filemon from SysInternals
and run it just before you try to start the application and look in the log
for filemon to see what files are being accessed to run that program. ---
Steve

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml