Sign in with
Your question

ATI x1950pro texture artifact problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2007 10:18:21 PM

I need the assistance of the oh-so helpful Tom's Hardware forum people again. My new x1950pro PCIE seems to be displaying weird 'squares' in some games, mainly FEAR, and Oblivion. I have ran ATI tool for over an hour without any artifacts. I have also tried and used google to find similar problems unsuccessfully. Here is a screenshot to better describe my problem:

Slightly off-topic, but also the video screens inside FEAR do not display as they should...

Any help is a greatly appreciated.

I am using FEAR 1.08, and Catalyst 7.1 drivers.
February 15, 2007 3:09:37 AM

i have x1950pro pci-x and i get bad splat at company of heroes.
http://www.sinker.co.uk/coh/BadSplat.JPG
i have 1gb ram. before playing i turn off firewall, antivirus and everything i dont need. then i dont get bad splat anymore.
February 15, 2007 4:04:01 AM

haha, thats funny. Haven't ever seen anything like that before. At least you can get it to go away...
Related resources
February 15, 2007 6:42:16 AM

Quote:
RMA.its not processing the textures correctly,could be the memory on the card.Any problems with other cards?I have zero problems with my 1900gt.

just checked your mobo brand.I had a 939 same brand ,chipset caused video artifacts.check the card on a good mobo.see if its the same.

I did buy it from a local store, so I could just do a clean exchange. I doubt this makes a difference, but if I try and overclock the videocard's memory by 1mhz, my system completely crashes (The store I bought my videocard from doesn't need to know :p ). I can overclock the core ~40mhz before getting artifacts. Like I said, I ran ATI Tool, no artifacts came up. I did have a 7800gs in my motherboard before, but, obviously, it's AGP, and my current card is PCIE, so I have no idea if it's my motherboard or not since I'm not comparing the cards in the same circumstance. I will be upgrading to a new motherboard soon, hopefully (P5N-E). I'm guessing the best advice is to get my new board, and see if the problem persists, but I have to make sure I'm still able to return this card if things don't work out. Do you think the screens in FEAR could be caused by the same issue? I haven't formatted since my new videocard, could that be the cause? Hmm, I do have a Vista installed on a partition, I'll try it in Vista and see if I get the same problem, I'll get back to you guys soon.
February 15, 2007 1:10:59 PM

LOL @ the bad splats :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

have u tried to get rid of the drivers and use the older ones (6.12)?

Also try the omega drivers. Iv got the 7.1 omega drivers.

When i get back home i'll check out both games and let you know if i notice anything wierd (I got a x1950 pro aswell)
February 15, 2007 4:45:19 PM

okay i just tested both games on max settings for an hour each and so far i havnt seen any problems.

But just to be sure, try the 6.12 drivers or the 7.1 omega drivers (thats what i use)
!