Fully Disable Command Prompt

Hi

We have a problem I hope someone can help us with.

In an OU group policy for a group of users we have
enabled the User Configuration-Admin Templates-System-
"Prevent access to the command prompt". We have also
added cmd.exe to the "Don't run specified windows
applications". However we have found that if a user runs
a .bat file with say, ipconfig as the text, Windows is
quite happy to allow the user to open the command prompt
window. From here, the user can view and delete files on
the hard drive.

If the user types cmd.exe from the command prompt, this
is in fact disallowed. How do we stop the user from
opening the command prompt.

Regards
P Basham

That is going to be difficult to do in W2K. If you use XP Pro you can use
Software Restriction Policies to lock down a computer. One thing you could
try is to remove the users group from ntfs permissions for every instance of
cmd.exe and command.com on the computer. You will have to search the
computer for those files as they may be located in more than one place such
as in the dllcache folder or service pack files folder. Even so that will
not stop a user from copying a cmd.exe from a floppy to their user profile
to access if they are that determined. As far as users being able to delete
files from the hard drive, you may have to review your ntfs permissions for
the users. If they are local administrators or power users fro some reason
that will be next to impossible to do. -- Steve

"Pbas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> We have a problem I hope someone can help us with.
>
> In an OU group policy for a group of users we have
> enabled the User Configuration-Admin Templates-System-
> "Prevent access to the command prompt". We have also
> added cmd.exe to the "Don't run specified windows
> applications". However we have found that if a user runs
> a .bat file with say, ipconfig as the text, Windows is
> quite happy to allow the user to open the command prompt
> window. From here, the user can view and delete files on
> the hard drive.
>
> If the user types cmd.exe from the command prompt, this
> is in fact disallowed. How do we stop the user from
> opening the command prompt.
>
> Regards
> P Basham

Steve

Thanks for the reply.

I suspected it was going to be difficult. We need to
allow cmd.exe to run when a user logs on to allow scripts
to run. I found if I disable the command prompt script
processing in the "prevent access to the command prompt"
policy discussed earlier, the user gets nothing but a
blue desktop. Obviously this is not good.

As for ntfs permissions, hows this for an odd one. I
created a file, temp.txt on the root of C:\. Permissions,
Everyone-Read, Dom Admins-Full control. Logged on as a
user, ran a .bat script to open command prompt, and was
able to delete the file. BTW, this action was performed
over a terminal service session from a thin client.

Now I'm very worried

Regards
P Basham

If you need to run logon scripts your options to limit cmd.exe are limited
as you mentioned. The ntfs permissions problem is perplexing. I would check
the permissions and ownership to that file before you delete it to see if
they are what you expected. Keep in mind that when you are setting ntfs
permissions always check advanced permissions also to make sure that users
or groups are not listed in there that you do not want to have permissions.
The other issue if the creator owner is present the creator owner of a file
folder will have those permissions applied to them. Enabling of first object
access and then auditing permissions to a file or folder can help track down
how file and folders are being accessed. I don't recommend leaving auditing
of object access enabled all the time though because it can fill up the
security log quickly. --- Steve

"P Basham" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Steve
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I suspected it was going to be difficult. We need to
> allow cmd.exe to run when a user logs on to allow scripts
> to run. I found if I disable the command prompt script
> processing in the "prevent access to the command prompt"
> policy discussed earlier, the user gets nothing but a
> blue desktop. Obviously this is not good.
>
> As for ntfs permissions, hows this for an odd one. I
> created a file, temp.txt on the root of C:\. Permissions,
> Everyone-Read, Dom Admins-Full control. Logged on as a
> user, ran a .bat script to open command prompt, and was
> able to delete the file. BTW, this action was performed
> over a terminal service session from a thin client.
>
> Now I'm very worried
>
> Regards
> P Basham

Steve

Thanks again for the input. I think I will set up a test
server/client to see how much damage a user can do using
the command prompt. I see what you are saying about
logging, however I would like to stop users making my
life a misery, not just see which user has:)

If I make any significant progress, I will post in this
site. Once again, many thanks.

Regards
P Basham