  • Home Theatre
Last response: in Home Theatre
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2004 4:27:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I've been looking for the following:

An HDTV tuner for a laptop that also allows output to a standard HDTV
through component, DVI, or HDMI ports.

While PCMCIA would be most preferable, I imagine such a thing would have to
be an external device.

USB or Firewire connection to laptop would be fine.

Ability to "record" standard NTSC and/or HD content to laptop hard drive
would be nice, but not mandatory.

Does such an animal exist yet?

Thanks...

More about : hdtv tuner laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2004 10:01:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Sasem OnAir USB HDTV

http://www.copperbox.com/lite/sasem.php?PHPSESSID=17155...

Richard R.

"ErcB" <nospam@nospam.not> wrote in message
> I've been looking for the following:
>
> An HDTV tuner for a laptop that also allows output to a standard HDTV
> through component, DVI, or HDMI ports.
>
> While PCMCIA would be most preferable, I imagine such a thing would have
> be an external device.
>
> USB or Firewire connection to laptop would be fine.
>
> Ability to "record" standard NTSC and/or HD content to laptop hard drive
> would be nice, but not mandatory.
>
> Does such an animal exist yet?
>
> Thanks...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2004 8:31:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

There is a Digital Terrestrial TV receiver PCMCIA card by
SCM Microelectronics, marketed in Europe by Satelco. I think
it's the only existing PCMCIA solution; the others use USB.

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, ErcB wrote:

> I've been looking for the following:
>
> An HDTV tuner for a laptop that also allows output to a standard HDTV
> through component, DVI, or HDMI ports.
a b D Laptop
August 1, 2004 5:27:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> > I've been looking for the following:
> >
> > An HDTV tuner for a laptop that also allows output to a standard HDTV
> > through component, DVI, or HDMI ports.
> >
> > While PCMCIA would be most preferable, I imagine such a thing would have
> > be an external device.
> >
> > USB or Firewire connection to laptop would be fine.
> >
> > Ability to "record" standard NTSC and/or HD content to laptop hard drive
> > would be nice, but not mandatory.
> >
> > Does such an animal exist yet?
> >
> > Thanks...
>

> Sasem OnAir USB HDTV

http://www.copperbox.com/lite/sasem.php?PHPSESSID=17155...

Thanks.

I'm going to read a few reviews on it. From first glance, it looks like
this may be exactly what I'm looking for.

Price (~$250) is well within reason as well. From first glance at the
specs, it appears to integrate nicely with a PC (laptop), but didn't see how
it integrates with an HDTV. (No mention of composite, DVI, or HDMI
outputs.) I would like to be able to use it with a laptop while traveling
and also at home as an ATSC tuner for an HDTV.

Going to read some reviews. I'm sure these animals will become more
available over the next year or so.

Thanks again..
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 1, 2004 5:32:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> There is a Digital Terrestrial TV receiver PCMCIA card by
> SCM Microelectronics, marketed in Europe by Satelco. I think
> it's the only existing PCMCIA solution; the others use USB.

Hi,

I found an article (review) on that card, unfortunetly it was in German and
my Deutsch is little rusty.

(Ich habe Zwei Jahren Deutsch in Hoch Schule gehaben, aber "it was many
years ago.") :^)

Glad to see such components being produced though, hopefully they will
become common in a year or so!

Danke!
!